Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #46
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Personally, I would read the first of the Wheel of Time books, it was an exceptional book and IMPO can be read as a stand alone without too much issue. Yes, there are unanswered questions, but if you like it you can always get the next book.
I think I got around 5 or 6 books into the series before figuring out that it was just going round in circles and getting rid of all I had. I suppose book 1 wasn't too bad, but at the time there were plenty of epic fantasy trilogies around which did come to a resolution so I didn't miss it. There were some interesting ideas there, but as there was never any resolution to them (or so it seemed), I gave up. Besides, I always thought it something of another LoTR wanna-be (not in any disparaging sense - much epic fantasy seems to come across that way - and if it's well-written and has something fresh to bring to the trope, then all power to it).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #47
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Obelisk Gate wasn't my pick, but it was good. I also liked All the Birds in the Sky and A Closed and Common Orbit. Not so much the other three. I also liked Every Heart a Doorway a lot and glad it won.

I like to read the Hugo books because while sometimes I like them, and sometimes I don't, it keeps me from reading the same writers over and over, and sometimes I find one I really like.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #48
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Personally, I would read the first of the Wheel of Time books, it was an exceptional book and IMPO can be read as a stand alone without too much issue. Yes, there are unanswered questions, but if you like it you can always get the next book.
The series turned with with the Hugo voter package a few years back (So all 14 bricks in a single epub), comes in at over 10,000 pages I'll have a go when I have a spare year.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
The series turned with with the Hugo voter package a few years back (So all 14 bricks in a single epub), comes in at over 10,000 pages I'll have a go when I have a spare year.
It's a series I very much enjoyed, particularly the last three books, which were written by Brandon Sanderson, who I think personally is a much better writer than Robert Jordan. I have doubts that Jordan would have ever finished it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #50
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have that Hugo-package Wheel of Time epub. Been slowly making my way through it for quite a while.

The Dragon Reborn remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy novels, but some others in the series have not been close to its quality.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #51
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I have that Hugo-package Wheel of Time epub. Been slowly making my way through it for quite a while.

The Dragon Reborn remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy novels, but some others in the series have not been close to its quality.
While they were coming out, the word was that every other book advanced the story, while the others were just filler. I suspect that the series would have been a lot better written and would have resolved earlier if Jordan hadn't married his editor. A good editor would have reduced the series to 5 or 6 books focused on the main story line, then done the other story arcs as separate books.

I agree that the last three books written by Sanderson were much better than all except the first few books written by Jordan.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm a recent convert to WoT, on audiobook with the readers I know from Sanderson's books. Jordan has decidedly Old White Guy sensibilities, but brings a little more to the table than the likes of Eddings. It took me several tries to connect with this series, mostly on Sanderson's recommendation, and I expect I'll slog through to Sanderson's finale. Yes, it's cyclic, but that's written on the tin, isn't it?

For the current round of awards, Jemisin is eminently deserving. The first book had a conceit that paid off by the end and left a little doubt as to how the series could move on, but then the second book dove deep into world building and character and opened things out quite nicely (well, yes, bleakly, but nicely bleakly).

I just finished All the Birds in the Sky, and it was good, but yeah, Jemisin would certainly beat it out. It's a tale of a mad scientist and a witch who are star-crossed lovers in a magic-vs-science apocalypse, and as such it's well done, but it rushes a bit toward a conclusion that's a little too tidy. Again, quibbles with a quite enjoyable story.

My own impression of the awards field and the genre in general right now is that we're spoiled with riches. There are more voices than ever, feeding back off each other, and it's not like we're not all familiar with the canon and coming from a lot of the same places. If science fiction fans can't come to grips with these concepts, what hope is there for the average ape on this rock?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #53
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm a recent convert to WoT, on audiobook with the readers I know from Sanderson's books. Jordan has decidedly Old White Guy sensibilities, but brings a little more to the table than the likes of Eddings. It took me several tries to connect with this series, mostly on Sanderson's recommendation, and I expect I'll slog through to Sanderson's finale. Yes, it's cyclic, but that's written on the tin, isn't it?

For the current round of awards, Jemisin is eminently deserving. The first book had a conceit that paid off by the end and left a little doubt as to how the series could move on, but then the second book dove deep into world building and character and opened things out quite nicely (well, yes, bleakly, but nicely bleakly).

I just finished All the Birds in the Sky, and it was good, but yeah, Jemisin would certainly beat it out. It's a tale of a mad scientist and a witch who are star-crossed lovers in a magic-vs-science apocalypse, and as such it's well done, but it rushes a bit toward a conclusion that's a little too tidy. Again, quibbles with a quite enjoyable story.

My own impression of the awards field and the genre in general right now is that we're spoiled with riches. There are more voices than ever, feeding back off each other, and it's not like we're not all familiar with the canon and coming from a lot of the same places. If science fiction fans can't come to grips with these concepts, what hope is there for the average ape on this rock?
I would have described them as a scientist and a mad witch, but we all have our own take on it, I guess.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #54
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I would have described them as a scientist and a mad witch, but we all have our own take on it, I guess.
Well, like most mad "scientists," he's really more of an eccentric engineer, but we all know what tropes Anders was playing with.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #55
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I think I got around 5 or 6 books into the series before figuring out that it was just going round in circles and getting rid of all I had. I suppose book 1 wasn't too bad, but at the time there were plenty of epic fantasy trilogies around which did come to a resolution so I didn't miss it.
Well, keep in mind that it is a *wheel* of *time* :P

I'm in the same boat as you. I read the first few and then gave up when it became too much of a slog.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #56
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
Obelisk Gate wasn't my pick, but it was good. I also liked All the Birds in the Sky and A Closed and Common Orbit. Not so much the other three.
Haha opposite for me. Of the nominees, I was crazy for Ninefox Gambit, liked Death's End a lot, enjoyed Too Like the Lightning, and didn't care for All the Birds in the Sky.

I haven't read A Closed and Common Orbit yet, but predict I will like it, and the summaries of NK Jemisin's works leave me cold so I've never attempted them.

Beats me what the Puppies are complaining about. I think storytelling is alive and kicking.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I haven't read A Closed and Common Orbit yet, but predict I will like it
I've not read it yet. I did read The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet and really enjoyed it.. The characters and their interactions are just so good. The plot came second and that was very much OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #58
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not read it yet. I did read The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet and really enjoyed it.. The characters and their interactions are just so good. The plot came second and that was very much OK.
I think A Closed and Common Orbit was even better than the first book. Without giving too much away I was expecting the main story of the book but the secondary story was totally unexpected and is one I won't forget. At first it seems like there's not much happening in the book and suddenly you're totally gripped.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathos View Post
I think A Closed and Common Orbit was even better than the first book. Without giving too much away I was expecting the main story of the book but the secondary story was totally unexpected and is one I won't forget. At first it seems like there's not much happening in the book and suddenly you're totally gripped.
Given how good the first book is, I would not doubt the second is as good or better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote