Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
JimLL
Cynic
JimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle
What have I got?

I've had a basic Kindle for about a month and have put my own manuscripts on it.

I've been looking for a program to actually produce ebooks, but altho a lot of people say they can sell you somebody's free one I haven't find anything out there.

I'm only a single retiree and am not looking for anything for company production (probably couldn't figure it out if I had it), just the occasional book of accumulated fanfiction for myself and a couple relatives, but I'd like more than just text uploads - a cover and a few illustrations.

Then I kept seeing stuff about Calibre. It wasn't at all clear from forum posts I saw, what it was, so I just grabbed it. But I'm getting the feeling Calibre can only manipulate existing ebooks, not produce them. It should be useful after I get producing software.

Am I wrong?

If I'm right, can anyone steer me to a GUI based, relatively easy program to make ebooks with? (Amazon's Kindlegen is beyond useless to me. I gave up command line work years ago.)

Thanks for any and all help you can offer.

BTW, if someone can tell me how to change or move an illustration photo with Calibre, I could quit searching for a way. The reader shows them, but I can't find a way to replace them. Thanks.
JimLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use Sigil to make an ePub and then use either Calibre or drag 'n drop in Kindle Previewer to convert that to a Mobi.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Mobipocket Creator

If you find Sigil too complicated Mobipocket Creator might work for you. (The Kindle format is based on the Mobipocket format, and the Kindle can read Mobipocket files.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Based on your self-description, I'd definitely use MobiPocket Creator, and I'd start with the Home Edition. You can always switch to the Publisher Edition later if you want to. As well as the link provided by Doitsu, have a look here: MobiPocket Creator

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 02-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
JimLL
Cynic
JimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsJimLL can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you find Sigil too complicated Mobipocket Creator might work for you. (The Kindle format is based on the Mobipocket format, and the Kindle can read Mobipocket files.)
I guess I don't know how to get normal output from a telephone app.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
JimLL
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Based on your self-description, I'd definitely use MobiPocket Creator, and I'd start with the Home Edition. You can always switch to the Publisher Edition later if you want to. As well as the link provided by Doitsu, have a look here: MobiPocket Creator
Same point. I couldn't find anything that says Output for Kindle or anything similar.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Kindle is not an output format. Output to mobi or output to AZW is what you want. You can also email personal documents to Amazon and they will convert them for you to AZW and send them to your kindle.

Kindles are a piece of equipment like a computer that will display certain formats. You must, in many cases, convert to the correct format yourself. Just keep in mind that it can be done and after you have done it it is easy

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLL View Post
I guess I don't know how to get normal output from a telephone app.
Mobipocket Creator is not a telephone app. It's an easy-to-use Windows application that will create .prc (.mobi) files that you can read on the Kindle.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Mobipocket Creator is not a telephone app. It's an easy-to-use Windows application that will create .prc (.mobi) files that you can read on the Kindle.
Wot 'ee sed!

Go to one of the download buttons, download and install MobiPocket Creator on your PC, then use it to process your existing PC document(s) into ebooks, on your PC. These can then be loaded onto your Kindle. I would drag'n'drop them into Calibre, and add them to your Kindle from there.

Perhaps read this page: What is the Mobipocket file format.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 02-09-2012 at 03:49 AM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
JimLL
Cynic

Quote:
Whatever. I turned out a .mobi and got a picture of a "mobile unit" (Blackberry or something like that) showing the output in a tiny little window. If you don't like me calling that a telephone I don't know what to say, because I still call it a telephone. A telephone that you can do lots of things with - through a keyhole.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
JimLL
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Wot 'ee sed!

Go to one of the download buttons, download and install MobiPocket Creator on your PC, then use it to process your existing PC document(s) into ebooks, on your PC. These can then be loaded onto your Kindle. I would drag'n'drop them into Calibre, and add them to your Kindle from there.

Perhaps read this page: What is the Mobipocket file format.
You're talking concepts here. My concept is that if I can't make it fill my laptop screen I don't want it.

Beneath concept is the actual running of the program. I told you guys that it put out a tiny picture. Actually about 1.5 inches by 2 inches on my laptop screen. Now if you want to tell me how to get a big picture instead of that, we'll be getting somewhere.

Just getting bent because you think I don't use the word you'd like to describe the latest hot/new telephone doesn't seem to me to accomplish anything. Sorry, but you guys aren't even on the same subject that I'm on. I asked about getting a tiny output and you answer that the app is too wonderful for words. Not the same subject.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not sure what you are talking about with the "tiny picture" comment. Mobipocket Creator creates a windows about 800 x 600 pixels in size on my laptop. I would definitely download the Publisher version, not the Home version.

You might want to use a Word doc as input, save as filtered HTML, and use that to input into Mobipocket Creator. .mobi files are based on a simplified HTML. You are going to have to become familiar with HTML to do any significant formatting work.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
JimLL
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Not sure what you are talking about with the "tiny picture" comment. Mobipocket Creator creates a windows about 800 x 600 pixels in size on my laptop. I would definitely download the Publisher version, not the Home version.

You might want to use a Word doc as input, save as filtered HTML, and use that to input into Mobipocket Creator. .mobi files are based on a simplified HTML. You are going to have to become familiar with HTML to do any significant formatting work.
When I went to read the output, the reader that popped up was a picture of a "telephone" with about 4 words in each line in the window. Not usable, as far as I'm concerned.

Someone said to use the home version. Apparently that wasn't a good idea.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLL View Post
When I went to read the output, the reader that popped up was a picture of a "telephone" with about 4 words in each line in the window. Not usable, as far as I'm concerned.

Someone said to use the home version. Apparently that wasn't a good idea.
Perhaps you need to install Mobipocket Reader (or Kindle 4 PC) to view the published content the way you'd want to? It sounds like what you're getting is some kind of emulator viewer to show what it would look like on a PDA or something.

I don't know what kind of format the stuff you have is starting out in, but maybe it'd be easier to use Open Office (writer) and install the writer2epub plugin which converts a file to ePub with a click. The ePub can easily be converted to Mobi in Calibre with a couple of clicks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
JimLL
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Perhaps you need to install Mobipocket Reader (or Kindle 4 PC) to view the published content the way you'd want to? It sounds like what you're getting is some kind of emulator viewer to show what it would look like on a PDA or something.

I don't know what kind of format the stuff you have is starting out in, but maybe it'd be easier to use Open Office (writer) and install the writer2epub plugin which converts a file to ePub with a click. The ePub can easily be converted to Mobi in Calibre with a couple of clicks.
Okay, I use OOo all the time and I grabbed the epub plugin. Fingers crossed.