Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
guyjack
Edge User

I am really envious of you all that you can organize your thoughts and your eDGe's well enough for your classes. I am thinking of going back to school and take some classes, but am worried about keeping myself organized enough for it. My having MS and, as a result, cognitive issues is a real concern to me because I am not sure about being able to keep myself organized enough to successfully make it through a course. Does anyone have any advice for me in this regard?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
kemar
Edge User

Hello guyjack, I really don't think you should let your MS keep you out of school. Unfortunately, I can't offer you any direct advice, but I do have a couple of friends with learning disorders and they actually found assistance at the school. Some schools offer specialized counseling and tutoring services that help students manage their classes despite personal challenges. I'm quite certain they would have something like that available at a school in your area. You might want to check out the junior colleges in your area and find out what programs and counseling services that they offer that might meet your needs. I have heard positive responses from individuals that have utilized such services. The staff will be trained in that area and would either be able to offer you direct assistance at the school or refer you to somewhere that they work with.

Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
guyjack
Edge User

Thank you Kemar! When I decide what classes to take, I will certainly take advantage of that counseling and assistance!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemar View Post
My friend likes to sketch her own pictures when dealing with certain information in her classes (for her, its a memory tool). She played with the Sketcher application and really liked the effects and how the program works. Once in the library, we could attach the sketch to a PDF file.
This is a terrific idea, I sketch for reference in some classes too. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #20
guyjack
Edge User

I have also heard that sketching your notes or drawing them is a great memory tool. Styling the words that you write in a picture related to the subject.

Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #21
janvangastel
Edge User

Quote:
I don't see much point in the change if that's not the case. If we're still allowed to have only one document open in the reader and one in the journal, then the switch app button would just do nothing until you open a journal from the tablet, and afterward it would behave exactly as it does now.
As far as I have seen this is, alas, the case. Using the switch button only switches bewteen one already opened journal and one already opened book or other text.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #22
Chubulor
Edge User

Booooooooo!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
NiaTrue
Edge User

Oh, Chubulor. *sigh*

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #24
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Oh, Chubulor. *sigh*
Uh, this change provides no extra functionality for the "switch apps" button, and actually removes functionality that it used to have by rendering it inactive if you don't already have a journal open...and there's something wrong with me for broadcasting my irritation with it?

Pure cheerleaderism. This is why the independent developer community doesn't take this forum seriously anymore (to the extent they ever did).

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
borisb
Edge User

I think the change in the "switch apps" button was meant to pave the way for the developer community to write eInk apps and have them switchable with the Reader and Journal apps (which themselves now are just any other eInk app, participating in the rotation if they're running).

Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #26
NiaTrue
Edge User

I was never one of those cheerleader girls/boys and I'm certainly not now, not even for the eDGe, which I think is a fabulous device as it is and even though I think it hasn't reached it's potential. Even those posters who self-identify as cheerleaders, however, have posted complaints, bugs, wishes, and other what-ifs. I've also noted things I'm not happy with.

Sometimes it's not what you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Yeah, that's the question. I don't see much point in the change if that's not the case. If we're still allowed to have only one document open in the reader and one in the journal, then the switch app button would just do nothing until you open a journal from the tablet, and afterward it would behave exactly as it does now.
It's how you say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Booooooooo!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #27
Chubulor
Edge User

What's wrong with booing? I can't repeat the same well-thought-out comment I made before, as doing so would be considered "spamming" under the New Forum Rules, so a terse summary seemed appropriate. Someone who apparently has "Oh Chubulor *sigh*" ready and waiting on her clipboard at all times should understand the value of brevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb
I think the change in the "switch apps" button was meant to pave the way for the developer community to write eInk apps and have them switchable with the Reader and Journal apps (which themselves now are just any other eInk app, participating in the rotation if they're running).
A creative, if implausible, excuse. It would be more believable if they had released the SDK already and hadn't *intentionally* killed device debugging with the Dingo update. (mrspaceman and others are moving away from developing apps for the Edge after that latest spit in the face moment)

Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
edgelover
Edge User

I love how you have used your edge and if you wouldn't mind can you help me to use my edge in some ways that you have. I am taking an lsat class and would love to have everything together instead of a thick notebook.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #29
leo315
Edge User

@guyjack

Yes, kemar advise makes sense, always be open for counseling and assistance. I want to add a thought on to try first small steps. Depending on the area you want to educate yourself. There are free online college courses available, you can search under Open Courseware.

Some industry certifcates like in IT Project+, A+, ITIL, ... or others, they are very standardize, you get ebooks and video on the topics and prepare yourself for an exam. Exam centers are widely available.

Open Couserware or industry certificates are ways getting you into study mode, utelizing tools around you, organizing your study and having much fun with the EE.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #30
lisa031825
Edge User

I am very impressed by your use of the EE in class. I thought I was pretty organized, but wow!. I have tags for each class I teach, committee I'm on, etc. and I label my notes by date then tag them to the appropriate place. I had never thought about using the tabs in the journal and just having one "notebook" for each thing. I have also taken each class syllabus and attached my notes, slides, website links, etc. to the syllabus for each day of class. So all I have to do is open my syllabus and go to today's class and select the attachment(s) for that day.