Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book (Kindle) - Hostile Intent

Hostile Intent, by Michael Walsh, was previously free in Aug 2009.

Book Description
It starts with the unthinkable--the most horrific act of violence ever committed on American soil.

Only one man can stop them.

Code named Devlin, he exists in the blackest shadows of the United States government--operating off the grid as the NSA's top agent. He's their most lethal weapon-and their most secret. But someone is trying to draw him out into the open by putting America's citizens in the crosshairs--and they will continue the slaughter until they get what they want.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Now also free @ B&N.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Picked it up for free. Thanks, koland.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes, and free in Canada, too.

One minor note ... the reviews are not so impressive: 22 people gave it one star with titles like: "Painful", "Seriously?" and "At least I didn't pay for it".

I am sure I am not alone here in having limited time to read and plough through a number of interesting things not yet read ... just being free isn't enough to tempt me.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Multiple bad reviews just make me morbidly curious as to how accurate they are.

That said, from the looks of it I'm more likely to get greater entertainment from reading the reviews and the responses in the comments from the author and his various defenders, than from reading the actual book.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Multiple bad reviews just make me morbidly curious as to how accurate they are.

That said, from the looks of it I'm more likely to get greater entertainment from reading the reviews and the responses in the comments from the author and his various defenders, than from reading the actual book.
Yeah, the reviews stopped me from getting this one

From the one titled "Great Dissappointment":
Quote:
"supercomputers powered by the Large Hadron Collider"

"running the Level Six double-bind ciphers through IMDB-Pro"

"He spoke into a Blu-Ray mouthpiece"

Are you kidding me?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Thanks, but ..

Thanks for the "reminder"
Grabbed the sample for my K3, just to checkit out.
Might be something for me.
The "free" part is driving me crazy.
Amazon.com, since I live in Denmark, quotes :
Kindle Price: $2.30 includes VAT & international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

I have the Wifi+3G version, but only use WIFI for tranfers.

Ah well, I'm not that much of a cheapskate but would like to check it out before buying.
Will get back to you later. Too much to try out with K3 at the moment (only had it 2 days )
Cheers,

Last edited by pchrist7; 09-01-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Amazon adds $2 to most (at one time all) international book prices. This pays, no doubt, for the added cost of business in those countries - added paperwork, business taxes, accountants and programmers they have to hire, the use of the cellular service (not everyone avoids all use of their 3G and it isn't used only for deliveries) in countries that charge more than the US and added payouts to publishers in each country (they may have to pay a different publisher than here in the states, even if the listing is the same, which they have to track, even if it is done electronically, there are setup and maintenance costs involved).

You can also get "delivery" multiple times and never pay extra (which means there isn't much reason to avoid using the 3G and the Kindle will do so automatically if wi-fi isn't available).

VAT, of course, you can't get around without that extra cost being tacked on. So far, Canada and the UK have managed to become large enough and low cost enough that the $2 fee has disappeared...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Amazon adds $2 to most (at one time all) international book prices. ... So far, Canada and the UK have managed to become large enough and low cost enough that the $2 fee has disappeared...
I can't underscore enough how important dropping that miserable $2 fee has been to my buying most of my stuff at Amazon instead of looking for deals elsewhere. It's so darned arbitrary. A line item with a delivery fee that repsented something vaguely related to the file size -- 75¢ for War and Peace, 15¢ for Winnie the Pooh -- that would be ok. (Free, of course, is better still.)

The $2 still seems to be on some stuff, but it seems mainly gone now. Yippee!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote