Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's interesting they've chosen to make the fonts darker... It may be a technical limitation but it's better for the eyes this way.

Never occurred to me that the darker border could be more distracting. Can anyone confirm this?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Never occurred to me that the darker border could be more distracting. Can anyone confirm this?
Not with Kindles, but with other devices I've had; 3 black vs. 4 silver or white. Black is not bad per se, it's just that in my experience black simply "asserts" itself a bit more than a bezel that blends into the e-ink background colour.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Not with Kindles, but with other devices I've had; 3 black vs. 4 silver or white. Black is not bad per se, it's just that in my experience black simply "asserts" itself a bit more than a bezel that blends into the e-ink background colour.
Interesting that you find that. For me it's definitely the reverse. The graphite bezel is so matte and non-reflective that it just disappears in any light. We're all different I guess.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Interesting that you find that. For me it's definitely the reverse. The graphite bezel is so matte and non-reflective that it just disappears in any light. We're all different I guess.
De gustibus non est disputandum. And that makes it so difficult to give advice
I should have added that it was all devices with matte finish. I'm pretty sure I would be annoyed with a shiny white surface.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I ordered one of each and can say that when reading from them the color makes no difference, for me anyway.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
It is depend which color you like it more.
Very good, un-complicated answer
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Comparing my K2 and K3 side by side, the background colour of the two screens is pretty much the same. The contrast improvement is in the text - grey on the K2 compared to "real black" on the K3.
I heard it was a whiter white. But I also couldn't tell a difference in a side by side comparison. The black is blacker, but the white is still grey.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I was concerned about fingerprints on the white. If you are going to be reading without a case or skin, you may want to get graphite.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Graphite for me, easily.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote