Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #331
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Aldiko displays italics alright. Have to say it's now my favorite reader -- not that I've tried Mantano or Moon.

FBReader is indeed a lot more primitive.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #332
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Perfect Viewer also does PDF. You just have to install the PDF feature add on.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #333
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
I did a search for comic rack but it hasn't come up in this thread, just wanted to add that to the comic reader section. i've been using this since i purchased my new tablet and it works wonderfully.

this links to the free version

https://market.android.com/details?i...ck.viewer.free

there is also a paid version

https://market.android.com/details?i...2sudmlld2VyIl0.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #334
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
I did a search for comic rack but it hasn't come up in this thread, just wanted to add that to the comic reader section. i've been using this since i purchased my new tablet and it works wonderfully.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's been added to the list.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #335
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The newest version of moon+ (1.4.1) now comes with integrated page sync via dropbox.

Nothing offers as many control options as moon+, and since all devices are different and reading ought to be comfortable, people should have lots of leeway on how they control their devices. I was using the free version, but I'm off to buy it now. I emailed the dev a few months ago asking about page sync, and I love it when devs pay attention and respond to user input.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #336
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The newest version of moon+ (1.4.1) now comes with integrated page sync via dropbox.

Nothing offers as many control options as moon+, and since all devices are different and reading ought to be comfortable, people should have lots of leeway on how they control their devices. I was using the free version, but I'm off to buy it now. I emailed the dev a few months ago asking about page sync, and I love it when devs pay attention and respond to user input.
Another HUGE feature that was added on Moon+ was an image viewer. I can now finally zoom into tables and graphs. Super easy to use, you can even share those pictures.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #337
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Just wanted to say I have been using the FBReader App I read about in this forum and have been really delighted with it. Simple but very user friendly and on my Galaxy Nexus it is almost as easy to read as my IRiver HD ebook reader. I wish they made apps for PCs! After putting up with Adobe Reader for years FBReader is like a breath of fresh air. (I might add I DON'T use Adobe Reader on my PC unless I have to!)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #338
yousaf465
yousaf465 began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod Smartphone
Does any CHM reader can do a full book search.
yousaf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #339
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Added "Free Library Books to Kindle" on a suggestion by ckim06 of BLD Mobile.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #340
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
A question for you guys:

I'm reading a foreign book. To learn the foreign language, I read the book and listen to the audiobook while reading.

Sometimes I need to pause to check the meaning of a word on the dictionary, but then the audiobook in backround keeps playing. So I have to go to home > switch to the audiobook player, pause it, then return to the ebookreader app, and so on...

How can I have integrated audio controls within an ebook reader app? It'd be very useful if you could make appear the basic playback controls by tapping somewhere, while reading with the ebookreader app.

Alternative options:
-using two different devices at the same time
-use TTS (I hate it, and it's not good to learn a foreign lang)
-playing/pause the audio in background by pressing hardware volume up and down (feature needed)
-having a fast switcher for apps (you can long-press home button for this)

Last edited by lorenzoens; 07-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #341
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just spitballing, but what about the extra button on wired headsets (used to answer calls, normally)? I imagine there must be some audio players that would let you pause/play with that button. Not sure if it would work with the player out of focus though.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #342
TheChallenger
TheChallenger began at the beginning.

Device: none
Did you try "Challenger Comics Viewer" ?
It's a Free Android app (no ads). It's available on Android Market : link

The Main feature is Autoscroll (no need to click to go to next/previous page). Pages are loaded automatically.

It supports JPG, PNG, CBZ, CBR and PDF files.

A video is available on Android market.

Give it a try !
TheChallenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #343
suobs
suobs began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I have seen a few people wonder why sony haven't got an app on other hardware and the answer is pretty obvious, they are in the hardware business and what little interest they have in their bookstore is in how it helps hardware sales, in countries outside north america they didn't even bother with their own store and are just partnered up with local retailers e.g. waterstones in the uk.
That may be true and it may also explain why both Amazon and B&N seem (to me) to be sluggish about updating their Android software. While I admit they regularly fix obvious problems, they don't seem to even try to address others or make significant upgrades.

It seems pretty obvious that the more people who use and prefer, say, the Kindle app on their Android device, the better the odds that they will buy books in that same format in the future.

For Amazon and B&N at least I think what they are (or shouild be) banking on is customer loyalty to the service. Thus there should be real competition to have the better free app. Don' t know why this doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by suobs; 08-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
suobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #344
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Perfect Viewer issue

hi all..

I'm still trying various apps to find the one that could better suite me needs..
at the moment I'm trying Perfect Viewer! The general impressions are really good: I like it and I find comfortable.. Perfect Viewer is born as a comic reader, but now it has also support for pdf files..
The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't respect the device settings regarding the brightness value. I use an app called SceenDim to control the brightness of the screen but also the contrast, reducing the power consumption of the battery. But even if I never setup the brightness option in Perfect Viewer, every time I go to a new page of the file I'm reading, it automatically brings the brightness to an high level! After few seconds brightness returns at it lower previous level! You will easily understand how much this is annoying!!
I noticed that this happened 'cause Perfect Viewer seems to close every time (every new page) ScreenDim; really few seconds and ScreenDim starts again reducing the brightness till I go to the next page..

Someone noticed the same issue?
I'm really enjoying Perfect Viewer, but this issue makes me going crazy!!
Thanks yo for paying attention,
see ya!!
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #345
suobs
suobs began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadamgibson View Post
Kindle is the perfect ebook reading app that caters to any reader’s taste buds, whether you’re browsing for the latest fashion trends on a magazine, or getting real-time updates through online newspapers, the Kindle for Android never fails to amaze you. Other features include a built-in dictionary, Google Search, and Wikipedia access–all of which will greatly complement your reading pleasure.
I'm sorry but that sounds like an Amazon press release. It's not perfect by a long shot. It COULD be close to perfect but doesn't seem to get significantly upgraded very often. Wikipedia in Kindle for example has problems on an Android tablet, for example you can't zoom the font larger. It's a painfully limited version of Wikipedia.

By comparison, from the Nook app, your Wikipedia searches are directed to a browser, so you have full access to all the functionality of the website. To do this from the Kindle app you would have to leave Kindle, open a browser, and manually type in the search term. Then re-open Kindle to get back to reading.

You also can't search Wikipedia on a phrase more than 2 words long from the Kindle app, it simply grays out the search button if you try. And it is very limited and often seems to miss information that's readily available from a normal Wikipedia search.

Last edited by suobs; 08-28-2012 at 09:39 PM.
suobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one