Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Why developers pick iOS over android.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166...r_android.html

Interesting article. & it makes sense.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Well well. We were supposed to make love undisturbed here, why an Applefan can come here trolling?

Just joking, I just acted like someone does in the Apple section

Open Source supporters will have to learn from intelligent critics, always. So thanks for the link.

Citizens interested to democratic values will never support things like Ibooks, trusted computing and closed digital environments, despite how enjoyable and trendy could they be.

Living together is more important than just having fun.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-06-2012 at 08:31 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'm an apple fan but I also want the android platform to succeed as I have an investment in it. I wasn't trolling, I was posting a valid link. I didn't say anything negative Bout android nor bash it's users. I think you may be the one trolling.

I'd like to see google take more control of its AppStore & it's services. It just seems all over the place lately.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
going where the money is I can agree with the article, more iOS devices so more money to be made

making apps for iOS over Android because its easier I dont think I agree with, compare this to desktop computers, there are less models available running OS X compared to machines with Windows, yet windows gets more apps available

I use both platforms and can easily find apps I want (I dont download many though), if a developer doesnt make an app available for one platform I just go to a different developer for a similar app
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Louis, you missed something important in my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Just joking, I just acted like someone does in the Apple section
(I didn't mean it's you). I totally agree there's much to do, seriously.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I read it until I got to the part where the author claimed that Android owners couldn't figure out how to use wifi. Really? Let me be clear-which OS is the one for tech geeks and which one is for grandmas who like only having one button to push?
Also, since the article in question was about Instagram then this is topical:
Instagram app deepens class warfare between Apple and Android
Typical Apple cult entitlement. (As an iPhone owner I'm allowed to say stuff like that )
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Typical Apple cult entitlement. (As an iPhone owner I'm allowed to say stuff like that )
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
That article is simply ridden with braindead propaganda statements such as this:

"Earlier this week, Instagram—the beloved iPhone app for snapping, filtering, and sharing photographs—arrived on Android phones, nearly a year and half after the iPhone app’s initial release. Until that time, folks using Android phones could only look on longingly as their iPhone-wielding friends snapped and shared photos on the growing network"

I vaguely recall the name instagram and its connection to iOS. Seems to me like yet another app that applies filters to images and let them share to social networks. No, differently from Apple folks, I'm not in the "this is the miraculous one you should have" camp, obviously. So, no, "could only look on longingly" is hardly how I felt. I have not installed instagram, nor care about this kind of apps in any case.

But the article correctly pinpoints the gist of it:

"Go where the money is"

Obviously people rich enough to buy apple hardware and software have money to spare for thousands of different flashlight, x-rays and fart apps at 99 cents.

That said, as a software developer myself, me and a few other friends are of the opinion that Java development is easier than Object C development, mainly because of automatic memory management.

Still, both Apple and Google should be cautious now, because Microsoft has always won the hearts of developers with easy tools and developing for Windows Mobile in C# and Visual Studio should gain many, many developers... if only the money is there too...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
This comes from a professional developer that I know when I asked him about writing his streaming radio app for Android because their iOS version had certain features that lacked in the Android players:

Programming in Android is a real PITA and some things like getting streaming audio to work well are far too difficult due to the lack of low level access to the hardware. iOS is much easier to deal with and is programmed directly in C so that is what we will stay with.

It's of course a paraphrase but I could dig up the email if I needed to, not that any of you would likely know this person. Please note, I am about as far away from an apple fanboy as you can get without being called an all out hater, suffice to say they will not get money out of my pocket.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I regret to say your friend is very obviously a low-level C-head with masochist tendencies. He's right at home with Apple's Objective C.

you may point him to:

http://developer.android.com/referen...e-summary.html

to do media streaming in a high-level way.

OTOH, no automatic memory management is also the reason why iOS is usually a bit snappier than Android. A reasonable price to pay for much saner development.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I vaguely recall the name instagram and its connection to iOS. Seems to me like yet another app that applies filters to images and let them share to social networks.
Until I glanced at this article, I never heard of Instagram.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Insta-what?

Don’t Bother with Instagram; Here are Five Better Alternatives for Android

Last edited by afv011; 04-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Some cheap brand of instant coffee, perhaps?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Your link doesnt appear to have a link.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
http://www.macworld.com/article/1166...r_android.html

Interesting article. & it makes sense.
I prefer reasoning with numbers and facts at hand, rather speculations:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-f...ck-2012-3?op=1
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote