Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
epub support, margins, large fonts and easy page turns

I'm looking for an e-ink reader fitting the following criteria:

1. ePub support. I currently have a Sony 505, which supports ePub, but I thoroughly dislike the way it displays ePub files, especially when the font size is increased. I don't think I'll be buying another Sony device.

2. User-defined margins. The wasted margin space on the Sony, especially when font size is increased, also bothers me. I don't like carrying around a device with a 6" screen when there's a 1" border around the text. I usually end up reformatting every book I download, which is time-consuming.

3. Large fonts. My eyesight stinks and need at least 14 pt font to be able to read more than a few pages at a time, but I prefer 16 pt or 18 pt if possible. I do most of my "reading" via audiobooks from NLS, but being able to read books for myself is important to me.

4. Easy page turns. The page turn buttons on my current device hurt my hands after a while. Something that requires less pressure and is more ergonomically designed would be wonderful. At the moment my Sony is on loan to a friend and I'm doing most of my reading on my iPod and iPad. I've grown very fond of the finger-swipe/tap page turns on a touch screen, but I'm not dead-set against physical buttons as long as they are comfortable to use.

I don't care about wifi or DRM support.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
1. ePub support. I currently have a Sony 505, which supports ePub, but I thoroughly dislike the way it displays ePub files, especially when the font size is increased. I don't think I'll be buying another Sony device.
What bother you ? Lack of hyphenation ?
If so, the only ePub reader I can think of that have hyphenation support are the pocketbook, when using fbreader. But fbreader hardly support css.

Margins, I "fix" the problem by editing the ePub. A bit anoying. Not sure if any reader support that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Whoops. I should have been more specific about why the ePub display bothers me. I don't like the lack of correlation between page numbers and display screen numbers. I don't understand the arbitrary page numbers and I don't like seeing those page numbers in the right margin. I don't like the fact that the margins increase when I increase the font size, to the point where I sometimes can't fit a whole sentence on one screen. I find the whole experience very distracting. I just want to read the text.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Fledchen
Guru

Feeling a little sheepish after seeing photos of what books look like on the newer models (650 and 350). They don't appear to have the annoying display quirks that ePub files on the 505 have. Maybe a newer Sony isn't totally out of the picture.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You shouldn't have to apologize for wanting a reader that lets you control ebook display *without* having to manually recode and recompile the darn thing.
(I know around here there are plenty of gurus with the time, expertise, and inclination to routinely do it but out here in the real world that is *not* the first answer that pops into most people's minds, is it?)

Such readers exist and are quite affordable; certainly cheaper than Sony.
For starters, look at the Pocketbook line or some of the Bookeens.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Fledchen
Guru

I am leaning toward a Pocketbook 360 but I have concerns about the page-turn button being too hard on my hands. Isn't there a firmware hack that allows you to use the accelerometer to turn pages?