Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
silvi
silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One novel plus one short story or non-fiction article.
All other ideas for stories or characters I can't use in the current projects, I write a brief outline and file away to look at later.
I like to think that I can multi-task, but the truth is that once I am into a story I have to go with it, or I lose interest.
silvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seventy or eighty. But that's because I never officially abandon a story, so every single one I've ever started is still technically in progress (and I've been writing since I was in grade school).

In practice, however, I'll usually work on one for a while, maybe a couple of weeks up to a couple of months, then get bored with it and move on to something else for a change of pace. It's not uncommon for me to come back to a story after 5 years and work on it again, which is why I can't really say I've moved past any of my stories.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
2 or 3 where substantial work is being done.

I am always open to ideas, to riveting or clever scenes that may or may not relate to a book already started, so there are hundreds of paragraphs or sentences not yet connected to a book or theme except in a loose genre way.

When I get well into the last chapter of a book I am trying to finish, I concentrate on that book. I may touch up previous portions but I push toward a "end." When I finally get there, I still will edit, tweak, and touch up but that doesn't usually take much time. The major changes were made along the way. Thank goodness.**

**Once when I was younger, I was told that I "would have to make major changes in a just finished book" due to another author's book that had just come out and was doing great. It was too similar. I was quiet and then carefully said to the suit, "O.K. I will check into it and estimate the time." I walked out the building. Walked around these giant streets for a 2 to 3 hours. Ate. Missed a flight. Came back into the building about 3PM. Said I had to see the "man." "Something urgent has come up." He walked out of a meeting to speak to me briefly. I said. "Mr. __, I can't do that. I am finished with that book. I will get back to you when I have another." Four years later the book I didn't change did pretty good. It is just not in my nature to change a story. I will write you another, but no one screws with my finished story. They are my children. (I am like Dylan in that.)

One thing I like to do is take a break from my regular writing which comes in the form of books and magazine articles, both fiction and non-fiction. I break with short stories. I like the ability to write something quickly.

Without this variety, I would go crazy.
Of course all this comes along with a regular job, so if you assume I am a ADHD type, you assume correctly.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote