Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #16
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
But calibre really does a great job converting. I converted some plain text pdfs (with good text information i.e. no faulty recognitions of text) and they became perfect mobi files.
Conversion from text PDF is the same simple work as conversion from txt,
there's no recognition to do at all.
But more PDFs are complicated file than text generally, you can try some
complicated PDF and see what the result is.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I keep getting funny looking mobi files when I try to convert PDFs into Mobi

The sentences will all start to look like they were separated on purpose like

this.

They just would not paragraph up properly into a paragraph and insists

to sit on separate lines. Any one have any idea how to cure this?

Would appreciate it greatly. Thank you!
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Just to understand, doesn't the kindle support PDF? Why do you need conversion to mobi?
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Aftter thinking about it awhile, I intend to get one, but I'm still fearful of that thing about Amazon taking books off my Kindle. What was that all about? And I hope they don't find other reasons to do it again. Otherwise, I await the arrival so I can get one.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
Just to understand, doesn't the kindle support PDF? Why do you need conversion to mobi?
The kindle does support PDF and seems to do it quiet well, I just prefer to convert documents that are all text and have no graphics or much layout at all for the ease of reading them without having to zoom in and scroll about as I would have to with PDF format.

Hopes that clarifies alittle.

idraw22: I didn't have a kindle when it happened but apparently the books aren't meant to be released from the publisher of "harrypotter"(I think) did not have a digital version but it was being circulated. So amazon decided to have a call back and got many angry customers. They have since apologized and it had not occurred again. I think that it is highly unlikely that if you uploaded your own books that weren't bought from amazon that they would remove it off your device. If you do get really paranoid, I suppose you could turn 3g or wifi off and never use that function
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Aftter thinking about it awhile, I intend to get one, but I'm still fearful of that thing about Amazon taking books off my Kindle. What was that all about? And I hope they don't find other reasons to do it again. Otherwise, I await the arrival so I can get one.
That incident was blown well out of proportion. I believe it was due to missing rights to publish in a certain region or something, so Amazon had to delete the book again. The customers were refunded of course.

I don't see this happening again anytime soon. And it would only happen to books bought at Amazon, they can't (or at least won't) touch the files you put on the Kindle yourself. So don't let that scare you in any way.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Just converted and loaded my firt PDF files - the direct upload just wouldn't work (from a e-journal and an e-book library) so i converted them to MOBI and they uploaded just fine! double line spacing bit of a pain, but better than having to zoom in and rotate the screen (IMO)
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
I find Epub books convert file but you have the left margin way too big, you have to go into the file and remove or change when it says left margin 5. change it to zero.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
herringh
herringh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How do you remove DRM from ePub

Can you remove DRM from EPub books borrowed from the public library. If so, how?
herringh is offline   Reply With Quote