Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
StefTeamEdward
StefTeamEdward began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Unhappy Calibre server wont start ...help please

ok i have used calibre and upolaoded ebook to my itouch in stanza but i try to do that today and when i open calibre it says
ERROR: failed to start content server
Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'

its the first time that happens so i went to tools and i try to click start sever and it gives me the same thing and also the option test server is not available like i cant click on it ...im getting very frustrated by it...

in my itouch stanza i have the right ip adress with the :8080\stanza and all that so iguess it doesnt show me the ebooks on stanza beucase calibres server wont start

any help pleasee!!!!
thanks
StefTeamEdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try rebooting your computer, it looks like you have some other program running a server on the port 8080
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
StefTeamEdward

thanks but how do i do that???
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefTeamEdward View Post
thanks but how do i do that???
Turn the computer off and then turn it back on.
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
StefTeamEdward

yeah i did that but it didnt work i guess ill unistall calibre and install it again and hopefully it will work or ill stop usin calibre
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The most likely thing is that you have anti-virus/firewall type software blocking calibre. As you say you had it working at one point, has anything changed in that area?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
yeah i did that but it didnt work i guess ill unistall calibre and install it again and hopefully it will work or ill stop usin calibre
Oh no... the lost revenue will devastate the product.

But seriously... have you tried another port? Perhaps you have another service already running on 8080?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
StefTeamEdward

oh yesss i installed a new anti virus maybe is that
ok let me try again
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The most likely thing is that you have anti-virus/firewall type software blocking calibre. As you say you had it working at one point, has anything changed in that area?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
StefTeamEdward

nope is not that i checked the firewalls and al that and calibre is allowed so i dont know im very frustrated... i dont get why it keeps telling me that por8080 not free.. and yeah i tried other ports but i always get the same message it wont connect
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
nope is not that i checked the firewalls and al that and calibre is allowed so i dont know im very frustrated... i dont get why it keeps telling me that por8080 not free.. and yeah i tried other ports but i always get the same message it wont connect
Wait... "it won't connect"??? Is different than the server won't run. Which is it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
StefTeamEdward

the server... because if it worked ill be able to test the server but that button is not available.... i have the start server in start up checked so thats why when i open calibre it gives me that error of port 8080 not fre on 0000
but even if i click on start server it sil gives me the error

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wait... "it won't connect"??? Is different than the server won't run. Which is it?

BOb
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
bds4242
bds4242 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Try port 8787 instead of 8080. Then what does it say?
bds4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
StefTeamEdward

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds4242 View Post
yeyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks so much it finally workeddddd
really thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
LaZerGaZer
LaZerGaZer began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
Thumbs up Calibre & AVG: Failed to start content server: Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds4242 View Post
THANK YOU!!! This is the fix. My instance of this problem began with install AVG Pro 8. I tried every tweek, and gaming mode, alll that, nothing worked. switching to port 8787 works with AVG. thanks for a solved issue.
LaZerGaZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Thanks for the 8787 tip. I've taken a few runs at that with Windows 7 Pro + AVG Free 9.0. This seems like such an easy fix; perhaps it can be added to the FAQ as an alternative?

Second point: I have added calibre.exe to have full private / public access through the Windows Firewall AND on my router, allowed HTTP incoming AND port forwarding 8787 to 80.

So far so good -- another computer BEHIND the firewall has access using the 192.168.x.x:8787 and correctly grabs the calibre index. But I still can't figure out how to make a computer on the OUTSIDE of the router see 99.230.x.x:8787 which is the address of the machine running Calibre (according to: http://www.whatismyip.com/).

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-16-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: further adventrues
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote