Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
tobyforever
iliad beginner
tobyforever began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
is my iRex the real 2nd Version?

I've just received my new iliad 2nd reader, it's case looks just the 2nd way...
However I still find the "shadow effect" quite obvious sometimes, especially in shell console or contentlister. the version information displayed in the contenlist is ER0140 but when I do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in the console I find the displayed Hardware is "iRex Technologies ER0100 eReader", so I wonder if it is the real ER0140 version or not. I happened to see an irex blog claiming that iliad's case can be "updated" for just some extra fee...is this wired?
tobyforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

the shadow effect is integral part of the eink technology, it got better but is not 100%ly resolved.

To test if you got a v2, just put it on a table, if the back is flat and it just lies there comfortably without wobbling around you got a v2! If the backside is round, and the whole thing rolls around you got a v1.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Another indicator: look at your Connect button in the upper right corner. If it is blank you have a v1, if there's a symbol on it you have a v2.

This is also a way to distinguish "real" v2's from refurbished v1's.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
As the others said, the change from v1 to v2 did not change anything with "ghosting". That's part of the eInk technology that all eInk devices use. Internally, the v1 and v2 are basically the same.

The main differences are slightly more battery life (~ 3 hours) and a redesigned case. There's no significant difference with the display technology.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
tobyforever
iliad beginner
tobyforever began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
As the others said, the change from v1 to v2 did not change anything with "ghosting". That's part of the eInk technology that all eInk devices use. Internally, the v1 and v2 are basically the same.

The main differences are slightly more battery life (~ 3 hours) and a redesigned case. There's no significant difference with the display technology.
sadly v1 is much cheaper than v2...I think the battery will wear down sometime(I donno why iRex put battery inside and irreplaceable). maybe I had too much expectation for v2's display performance.
tobyforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The v1 is cheaper because it's not being sold anymore, so it doesn't have the same value on the used market. You also won't get a warranty with it.

As for the battery, yeah, lots of people wish they had made it replaceable.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote