Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
TantricWarrior, I agree with a lot of your choices, but waitaminnit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantricWarrior View Post
Vonda N. McIntyre - Dreamsnake series
Dreamsnake series??? What? Where? Why didn't I get the memo?!?

(Er, are you talking about the Cat series, by any chance? But I want a Dreamsnake series....)

There are a couple on your list that I haven't read, and I think I'll go hunt them down, given that we seem to have quite a bit of overlap in likes and dislikes.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #47
TantricWarrior
Enthusiast
TantricWarrior has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet (rooted), CyBook Gen3, Newton 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
TantricWarrior, I agree with a lot of your choices, but waitaminnit....

Dreamsnake series??? What? Where? Why didn't I get the memo?!?

(Er, are you talking about the Cat series, by any chance? But I want a Dreamsnake series....)

There are a couple on your list that I haven't read, and I think I'll go hunt them down, given that we seem to have quite a bit of overlap in likes and dislikes.
Nope, not Cat; Dreamsnake... a tale of post-apocalyptic Earth in which a small group of scientists start a school where genetic engineering (of snakes particularly) is used to help manufacture cures used by traveling healers. Sequel is: "Of Mist, Grass, and Sand" (the names of the healer's snakes) and there maybe a further sequel (I think I read that somewhere) I only have my ca. 1979 Sci-Fi Book Club edition of DS, can't find where I put MG&S... like I said I usually only have parts of series.

Thanks, I've enjoyed reading your other posts -er that is if you are Michael Mace or are you just referring to his post on the infopad? (which I'd love to have to, btw).

IAE, I'd love to hear of any other of your suggestions for readings (he said, looking back over the list). I can certainly say that once I get my CyBook, I'll be going over this list with a fine-tooth comb for my summer-reading-stockup!

Great thread keep 'em coming!
TantricWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #48
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ah. No, I'm not Michael Mace, I just agree with him about wanting an infopad.

Regarding "Of Mist, Grass and Sand," that was the novella (took either the Hugo or the Nebula that year, I've forgotten which) that was later expanded into Dreamsnake. I've read both. Dreamsnake is an old favorite of mine, so I was quite excited at the idea that there might be a sequel.

Most of what I like best isn't available as (legal) ebooks yet, but you might try Patricia Briggs, particularly the trilogy beginning with Moon Called, which is available at Fictionwise. I'd also recommend anything by James H. Schmitz, and happily those are all available from Baen.

The closest to a long series that I'm currently enjoying are the Dragaera books of Steven Brust. Especially recommended for Zelazny fans. (Or, in some cases, Dumas fans. ) Brust is currently looking into making his books available as ebooks.

Last edited by nekokami; 05-19-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Brust ebooks
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #49
baileywick
baileywick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 7
FANTASY

R.A. MacAvoy: Lens of the World
1. Lens of the World
2. King of the Dead
3. Belly of the Wolf

All three books are available in eBook format. One of my all-time favorite series. The character development is superb.

Sheri S. Tepper:
1. Jinian Footseer
2. Dervish Daughter
3. Jinian Star-Eye

Unfortunately, out of print. Part of a larger series, Land of the True Game

Sharon Shinn: The Twelve Houses
1. Mystic and Rider
2. The Thirteenth House
3. Dark Moon Defender
4. Reader and Raelynx

Very satisfying romantic fantasy. Lovely characters. One of the few series I've read recently that I look forward to rereading.

My favorite fantasy writer of all is Guy Gavriel Kay.
His one series is the Fionavar Tapestry:
1. The Summer Tree
2. The Wandering Fire
3. The Darkest Road

Most of his other books take place in an alternate historical universe. For example, The Lions of Al-Rassan takes place in a land very similar to Spain at the time the Moors and Jews were driven out.

I love to reread Kay's books for the sheer pleasure of how he writes and tells a story.
baileywick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #50
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
To this list I would add Gregg Keyes' "Kingdom of Thorn and Bone" series.

It started slow and the romantic subplot thrown in suddenly threw me for a loop, but once part II of Book I started, I was hooked.

It's been described as a mix of George Martin and Terry Brooks, which is quite a...strange mixture.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #51
TantricWarrior
Enthusiast
TantricWarrior has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet (rooted), CyBook Gen3, Newton 2.0
Quote:
Ah. No, I'm not Michael Mace, I just agree with him about wanting an infopad.
Whoops, sorry, but yeah, wouldn't that be nice... apparently Nemoptic is working on something like it.

Quote:
Regarding "Of Mist, Grass and Sand," that was the novella (took either the Hugo or the Nebula that year, I've forgotten which) that was later expanded into Dreamsnake. I've read both. Dreamsnake is an old favorite of mine, so I was quite excited at the idea that there might be a sequel.
Again, whoops, sorry, got confused, it's been a long time since and I read them out of order (which must be why I thought it was a sequel). I wish she *would* do some more on that line...

Quote:
Most of what I like best isn't available as (legal) ebooks yet, but you might try Patricia Briggs, particularly the trilogy beginning with Moon Called, which is available at Fictionwise. I'd also recommend anything by James H. Schmitz, and happily those are all available from Baen.

The closest to a long series that I'm currently enjoying are the Dragaera books of Steven Brust. Especially recommended for Zelazny fans. (Or, in some cases, Dumas fans. ) Brust is currently looking into making his books available as ebooks.
I noticed that most of the books I recommended aren't available... *sigh* and I was hoping to *finally* have complete series in some format. I'll check out Brust (hopefully he'll be e-out soon).
TantricWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #52
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantricWarrior View Post
I noticed that most of the books I recommended aren't available... *sigh* and I was hoping to *finally* have complete series in some format.
Grr... I'm running into the same problem. Very, very little of what I'm looking for is available anywhere as e-books (a lot of which is listed in this thread!)

I'm having a very hard time figuring out where to start when so much isn't yet available. /sigh.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #53
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
I'll second that. Fionavar is one of my favourites as well.

I also forgot to mention

Dream dancer trilogy by Janet Morris

Robin Hobb of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileywick View Post
FANTASY

1. The Summer Tree
2. The Wandering Fire
3. The Darkest Road

Most of his other books take place in an alternate historical universe. For example, The Lions of Al-Rassan takes place in a land very similar to Spain at the time the Moors and Jews were driven out.

I love to reread Kay's books for the sheer pleasure of how he writes and tells a story.
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #54
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Grr... I'm running into the same problem. Very, very little of what I'm looking for is available anywhere as e-books (a lot of which is listed in this thread!)

I'm having a very hard time figuring out where to start when so much isn't yet available. /sigh.
I was actually surprised to see how much from Anne MacCaffrey and Alan Dean Foster were available. Seems like their full repertoire is available in e-format.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #55
Joe Swope
book title:Need For Magic
Joe Swope began at the beginning.

Device: palm 650
My picks for fantasy series are
Eddings: Belgariad
Goodkind: I liked the whole thing
Rowling: Unashamedly a fan of it
Brooks: Most of Shanara
Martin: Too many characters to follow, but still awesome
Joe Swope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #56
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Why? Why?

has no one mentioned the Spellsinger series by alan dean foster!

every one go get them all now.

go on
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #57
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Another vote for Pratchett (all) and Pullman's Dark Materials.
Quite enjoyed Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy, and the first two books of Justina Robson's Quantum Gravity are enjoyable but not too demanding (her 'Living Next Door to the Good of Love was much harder SF).
Quite liked Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer books, although it was AGES ago that I read them.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #58
tjyoung99
tjyoung99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Many of the previously listed series would be included in mine. Below are some additional ones I didn't see.

SF

I consider my "most favorite" list to be books or series that I have read (or intend to read) MORE than 2x. Some of those below I have read only once or twice (so far) but I enjoyed them to put them on my "To re-read every few years list". Many of the ones below were written 20 or 30 years ago, but for the most part they seem have avoided the curse of having become 'dated' suffered by so many of the early classics by Burroughs & others.

SF

The "Dumarest of Terra" series by EC Tubb (probably my favorite series)
Harry Harrison's Deathworld Trilogy
Larry Niven's "Known Space Universe" series (Ring World, ARM etc).
Niven & Pournelle's "Motie" series
Harry Turtledove's "Worldwar" series
Chris Bunch "R.I.S.K" series
Bunch & Cole's "Sten" series
Andre Norton's "Time Traders" series
Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series
Poul Anderson's "Flandry" series
Keith Laumer's "Retief" series

I know I'm forgetting some but these are they one that readily came to mind.

Tom
tjyoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #59
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileywick View Post
FANTASY
1. The Summer Tree
2. The Wandering Fire
3. The Darkest Road

You can argue that they are all part of a series. In my personal favorite, Tigana, there's an oblique reference to Fionnavar.

Kay's most recent work is closer to alternate history than fantasy. The only fantastic element I can recall in _The Lions of Al-Rassan_ is the ability of the son of a main character to always know what his father is doing, regardless of where Dad is at the moment. Kay states he was inspired by the Iberian peninsula when writing the story, in the same way that Tigana has roots in Renaissance Italy.

I'm very fond of The Fionnavar Tapestry. Kay tosses in just about every myth there is from the British Isles, with a healthy dose of the Arthurian mythos, and largely pulls it off. It's one of the few books that have made me cry.

But the Weaver at his Loom was weaving a tapestry with all the stories of all the worlds, and there's no evidence the worlds in Tigana and The Lions aren't in the tapestry somewhere.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #60
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I'm not even going to try to separate SF from Fantasy. My favorites are:

1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series -- Douglas Adams
2. Otherworld series -- Kelley Armstrong
3. Xenogenesis series -- Octavia Butler
4. Mercy Thompson series -- Patricia Briggs
5. Riddlemaster series -- Patricia A. McKillip
6. Nightlife, Moonshine and Madhouse -- Rob Thurman
7. My Soul to Keep and The Living Blood -- Tananarive Due (I haven't read the 3rd one, Blood Colony, which just came out last week.
8. Earthsea trilogy -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote