Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
asklepios
asklepios began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD
Webportal Mod not running

Hello:

I would like to use Webportal Mod developed by frostschutz, but after installing and rebooting 2 times it doesn't work (webportal.htm is there but Story HD wifi can't open it). Maybe because firmware version 1.34 doesn't support it?

I would really apreciate any help. Thank you!

asklepios
asklepios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1.33/1.34 do not touch any of the files modified by webportal so my assumption was it's still working. However 1.33 changelog mentions the google books removal. Does that mean it does not even start the browser any more? What exactly happens when you select the web shop?

What should happen is:

1) it shows a popup "connecting wifi"
2) it shows a wireless/internet icon
3) it displays a web page in the browser

You can verify it's the browser by hitting the Option key. That should give you a popup like "<- Q | -> W | (^) E | X R" which is the keyboard shortcuts for back, forward, reload, close.

If you don't get that, i.e. the browser was removed in 1.33/1.34 entirely then WebPortal won't work with 1.33/1.34, plain and simple. Personally I'm still on 1.32 DE (german version); I already bricked one of these devices, so I'm no longer taking any risks switching between german and english firmware and back.

I can produce a firmware file which downgrades from 1.34US to 1.32US, but you'd have to test it at your own risk.

tl;dr What exactly happens when you select the webshop/googlebooks in 1.33/1.34?

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-02-2013 at 12:07 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Yeah, since 1.33, the only thing that happens when you select the Google ebookstore is a popup message encouraging you to buy ebooks on Google Play. It no longer opens the browser at all.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I know that syncing with google books still works in 1.33 and 1.34. Don't know if that helps diagnose your problem.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
It no longer opens the browser at all.
Ok, if there's no way to get into the browser whatsoever, a firmware downgrade it'll have to be...

I'll have a look at it over the weekend.
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
asklepios

Frostschutz, thank you for your reply. As Ntsimp posted,
Quote:
the only thing that happens when you select the Google ebookstore is a popup message encouraging you to buy ebooks on Google Play
but after signing (or be signed) in Google. Btw, does WebPortal display after or before signing in Google? Or is it indiferent?

Inside firmware 1.33 setup hex file (I used Story HD Firmware Tool v1.02 to look) I think there are some files related to the browser (app/webbrowser.feb, app/launcher.feb?, flow_webkit?), so I guess it still there.

I bought the Story HD recently, it was inmediatly updated to 1.34 and I hadn't the chance to buy or sync ebooks. What is its wifi for? WebPortal would be the only way to make it useful...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Well, here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212233

Please let me know if it works.

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
asklepios

Hi, Frostschutz:

I have downgraded to 1.32 and reinstalled the mod, but It doesn't work for me... After clicking on "Sign In with your Google Account..." ebookstore login window prompts...

I can't enter to ebookstore neither.

Thank you anyway.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

So... does it show the browser now, or not? (Option key gives a "<- Q | -> W | (^) E | X R" back forward reload options or not?). I thought the browser was still enabled in 1.32...

If it's the browser, did you reboot the reader once after installing WebPortal?

If it's not the browser, did the downgrade work at all? Does it say 1.32 in Device Information? Is there a downgrade.txt?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
asklepios

Answer bellow:
Quote:
So... does it show the browser now, or not? (Option key gives a "<- Q | -> W | (^) E | X R" back forward reload options or not?). I thought the browser was still enabled in 1.32...
It doesn't show the browser.
Quote:
If it's the browser, did you reboot the reader once after installing WebPortal?
Yes, I did.
Quote:
If it's not the browser, did the downgrade work at all? Does it say 1.32 in Device Information? Is there a downgrade.txt?
Yes, it works. It says 1.32 and there is that text file.

Frostschutz, I didn't mention that I live in China and it is impossible to activate the device in Google bookstore... That's why I asked you if WebPortal works only if you have logged in Google bookstore (I understood that WebPortal works independently of Google access).
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

I've never logged into Google bookstore myself.

The WebPortal hooks into the browser, so it loads the WebPortal before any other webpage. So the only thing that needs to happen for it to work is that the device starts the browser in the first place. I'm not sure when this functionality was removed from the US firmware; it works fine in 1.32 DE. If it doesn't work in 1.32 US either, we'd have to try 1.29 US.

I got a new (broken display) Story HD Wifi from Ebay this week, I'll see if I can put it into US firmware mode, so I can test this out myself.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
asklepios

I see... thank you for your help!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

Added another downgrade file for 1.29US, see if that helps.

Otherwise you probably have a different issue, as 1.29US should definitely work, as far as I'm aware anyway...

Edit: updated the 1.29 file, old file just aborted without doing anything.

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
asklepios

It still doesn't work... just a window to log into Google...

Well, thank you very much to try.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

Well, it works for me.

I switched a 1.24DE Wifi to 1.34US firmware. There it was as you said. No browser, just a sign in for Google. And trying to sign in to my Google account resulted in a "There is no response from the server. Please check your wireless network." message. Regardless, the device considered itself signed in from that point.

Downgraded 1.34US to 1.29US and it starts the browser again. Installed WebPortal and it shows the WebPortal.

The web page it displays in the browser is this message:

Quote:
"Google eBooks is now Google Play. To buy ebooks for your Story HD device, please visit play.google.com/store/books from your computer's browser. Purchased books will automatically appear on your Story HD device. (C) 2011"
But you can ignore that and just use the Web Portal as normal.

Signing out of Google changes things. Instead of starting the browser it shows the Google Signin screen instead. Giving my email and password, however, it considers itself signed in again and it's back to the Web Portal.

tl;dr The WebPortal works with 1.29 US but you still have to sign into Google.