Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle Fire Books are in PRC!

This like my 3rd thread tonight.

Anyway I was looking through ES File Explorer and I notice that books are not in AZW that we all have come to know or even in Mobi for that matter but on the Fire they have the extension PRC

I have to wonder why Amazon chose to go back to PRC or do you think this is a newer format then then the old mobipocket format?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I love a good mystery!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I love a good mystery!
Okay had to check but even a Topaz book has the PRC extension.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay had to check but even a Topaz book has the PRC extension.
'Tis the same with Kindle for Android (except for sideloaded stuff).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
'Tis the same with Kindle for Android (except for sideloaded stuff).
It is? I've never checked okay nothing new to see then..
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
The format didn't change. The extension did. This prc is not the Palm format, it is one of the extensions for a container used by the Mobipocket format.

prc, mobi, azw are all interchangeable on the Kindle. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200140600
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
.mobi's still work. I've put a bunch of mine on.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Interesting. I think mobi was an offshoot somehow of prc back in the day - maybe it was the encrypted version? I barely remember that whole scene. Those were the early days of ebooks, to be sure.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm curious if any KF8 books have been released yet?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Interesting. I think mobi was an offshoot somehow of prc back in the day - maybe it was the encrypted version? I barely remember that whole scene. Those were the early days of ebooks, to be sure.
Yes the early days indeed. I have several PRC books still but if it's been that way in the stock Android app then I guess it's been that way for a long time. I nevered noticed it till now.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
A PRC file is simply a container - it can contain data in any format whatsoever. Mobipocket has always used a PRC container, but a PRC file doesn't have to contain data that's in Mobipocket format - it can contain anything at all. There's an 8-character "tag field" near the start of the file which says what type of data the file contains; for a Mobipocket book this contains the string "BOOKMOBI". You can see it if you open the file in Notepad or some other text editor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote