Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
CenturionFive
CenturionFive began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Cool Backlist, anthologies and publishers & authors making money

ok, I am a ebook junkie. i am trying to get as many of my favorite books in epub format and not having much luck finding sci-fi/fantasy books older than a yead or so in any format other than pirated pdf.

i can understand publishers reluctance to invest in making paper backs available for the prices they could get for them but what about making backlist paperback fiction available as anthologies. similar to what they did with Roger Zelanzeny's Amber series in a trade paperback anthology or Gene Wolfe's fiction. I would pay 7.99 to 10.99 for such an antholgy in kindle or nook format. Publishers and authors should be able to make $ on books that are no longer available in paper format....

Cen5
CenturionFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And, as has been discussed many times in other threads, where do these backlist books magically appear from... most of them either predate electronic files or were only kept in print controlling electronic files... at least the files used to print need redoing for ebook format and at worst, it's a scan, OCR and proof job... these things take time, cost money and need people capable of doing the work... overall the pubs are getting backlist stuff into eformat but everything isn't going to suddenly materialise over night... or even over some years to come...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Considering there are companies that will scan a book for $1, I don't think that is a good excuse.

Granted, I believe they just turn it into a PDF, no OCRing. But still, it's something.

And I also know at least one author that simply pirated the pirate versions of his books
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
CenturionFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Considering there are companies that will scan a book for $1, I don't think that is a good excuse.

Granted, I believe they just turn it into a PDF, no OCRing. But still, it's something.

And I also know at least one author that simply pirated the pirate versions of his books
I agree. It won't be free for publishers but they won't be giving it away either. They will have to work out royalty deals with authors too.

Turning the tables on the pirates is a good idea too.

Cen5
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Wondered if you'd dig them up... a whole dollar - then you find that's just for the first 100 pages then there's another fee, and another and... oh, yes try loading the resulting so-called pdf in an ereader and see how it chokes on the individual page sizes - putting a bunch of jpgs into a pdf file doesn't make a readable txt-based file for ereading... and for most people it isn't something other than a waste of space... so now you OCR it and then you have to proof it, but that's easy, anyone can do it, right... wrong, proofing is a time consuming and skilled task...

Still, all that's a load of old rubbish, anyone can do a scan and OCR and proof, see the pirate web... well, a few people have done superb jobs purely out of love for a work and more have done an OK job just to get the book in ereadable format but that's fine if you don't mind the errors, and there's a lot more that have just been OCR'd and are full of errors that then interfere with your reading but, hey who cares because that proves it doesn't cost anything... and who needs to worry about the fact that most publishers do not have separately delineated rights to e-formats of books...

And anyone who hangs round here knows of one author who grabbed a pirate scan of one of his books... and they also know that he used that as the basis of producing it in e-format, not just copying it for use...

But you know better than all the publishers, authors and editors...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturionFive View Post
ok, I am a ebook junkie. i am trying to get as many of my favorite books in epub format and not having much luck finding sci-fi/fantasy books older than a yead or so in any format other than pirated pdf.
Cen5
You might want to look here: http://www.sfgateway.com/

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Baen is also putting out older SciFi.

And some of it for FREE.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd love to re-read Roger Zelazny's Amber books as ebooks.

like this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amb...8590961&sr=8-1

Last edited by kennyc; 10-14-2011 at 07:16 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
CenturionFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'd love to re-read Roger Zelazny's Amber books as ebooks.

like this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amb...8590961&sr=8-1
I found a torrent of that book. I had purchased the books as they came out and I bought the 'Great Book of Amber' so I felt justified downloading the torrent. Had the publisher made it available in epub format I would have bought it.

cen5
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm unwilling to steal it even though I own the pbooks. Just not ethically right in my mind. But yes if it were available I'd buy it, and probably most of his other work as well.

I really think the publishers are missing the boat by not bundling backlists into ebooks and offering them at reasonable prices.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm unwilling to steal it even though I own the pbooks. Just not ethically right in my mind. But yes if it were available I'd buy it, and probably most of his other work as well.

I really think the publishers are missing the boat by not bundling backlists into ebooks and offering them at reasonable prices.
So true. I would buy his works again in an ebook format. Especially Lord of Light and Doorways in the Sand.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
If it's not handy in an electronic format, and it's probably not, it's more work to scan and proof an old book than it is a new book. Even if it is available in an electronic format, it's still as much work to convert it to a saleable ebook format as to do so for a new book.

And new books sell better.

Even so, all publishers are working through their back catalog, slowly. Figure out who it is, and let them know what you'd like to see done first. Doesn't Amazon and/or Barnes & Noble have a "I'd like to see this as an ebook" thingie?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Amazon has the 'let the publisher know I'd like a kindle version of this' button.

My guess is, for most of the books, the hold up is tracking down who has the rights to the book and then negotiating them.

Zelazny is famous enough and still selling well enough, that his rights are probably easy to locate, if not so easy to negotiate.

But that's not true for a lot of authors. Tracking down who owns the rights to a series of modestly successful books from the mid-80's is probably a whole lot more expensive than getting the books ready for production. And if the original author is dead... that's even trickier.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
In many cases, for book contracts more than a few years old, the publisher does not have the ebook rights. Authors and agents aren't necessarily going to jump to sign new contracts at a time when standard ebook royalties from publishers pretty much stink and the whole business is in a state of flux. On the other hand, there's a growing number of publishers like E-reads that specialize in putting backlist into ebook (usually with better royalties). And of course, there's a rapidly growing number of authors who decide to do it themselves: considerably more upfront work, but definitely better payoff.

As one of the latter group (at least for some of my backlist), I'm part of several groups of authors giving each other support in getting their backlist books out as indie publications. (Backlist eBooks being a chief example.) One thing that's surprised me is the way romance writers have left science fiction writers in the dust in getting into this business. Sure, there are some terrific SF/F writers getting their books out, but as a group, they've been remarkably slow to jump on this train.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
You might want to look here: http://www.sfgateway.com/

Andrew
How are the prices there? I'm on a slow connection and didn't want to follow all of the links, but the one I sampled was nine dollars for a backlist ebook with no cover art.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote