Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #256
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyspeptica View Post
But I really want an automated method of creation including the cover. It looks like I may get asked to produce *individualized* copies of various books. I want the cover to show the title etc. but I may need to insert individualized dedications, and photos (gifs). Doing that is not difficult, while still in the html file stage, but the cover conversion is a sticky wicket. Would be nice!
If that's the case, I think you are beyond calibre. But, automating this outside of calibre wouldn't be to hard.

As an epub is just a zip file, replacing a file is as simple as running a zip command with the appropriate replace option. For this, I think I would extract the epub into a folder and then create a batch file that took the individualized files, copied them to the extracted epub folder and then zipped this folder up and named it appropriately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 AM   #257
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyspeptica View Post
I tried Modify ePub, but notwithstanding the implications of the help page, it does not insert the new cover.
I am guessing you didn't actually download/install the beta version of Modify ePub that is posted within the thread? And instead just used the officially released version that you can get via plugin updater? As the insert cover functionality is only in the beta at this time.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #258
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.5.3 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Ensure paths to images used by this plugin are stored as relative paths for portability
  • Change the calibre library image to appear as {Default Image} in the images list
  • Reorder the images list so {Default Image} and {Current Cover} appear at the top
  • Allow renaming images changing only their casing
The main change is to ensure that the plugin no longer stores hard-coded paths to your covers, which should make life easier for users wanting to copy their calibre plugins from one machine to another.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #259
brabender
brabender began at the beginning.

Device: Xperia X1
Congrats for the plugin, it's my favorite one from the six or seven that I installed on Calibre. There is a minor problem for us non-english speakers: when the book is part of a series, and the checkbox is marked to display it, it appears as "Book ## of ...", regardless of the language used in the rest of the cover or in Calibre. Would it be possible to add a text field to specify the string(s) used? By default, it would contain the actual string in english.

Thanks and good luck.
brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #260
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@brabender - how could I possibly turn down a polite and sensible request like that

It will be uploaded shortly...
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #261
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.5.4 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Make the series text an option so foreign language users can change it
  • No longer respect the calibre preferences Roman Numerals setting - series index will always be displayed numerically.
An example of changing the text away from its default value is shown in the screenshot below. It doesn't have to be for language reasons you change it. As you can see the syntax is the same calibre template language style of formatting like you can use in the custom text field and numerous other places in calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExampleSeriesText.png
Views:	345
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	87199  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #262
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the updates. This is awesomely close.

But I am still having problems. I have just updated 'generate' to 1.5.4 and 'modify ePub' to 1.2.1 so I have the latest and greatest.

I have been using --no-default-epub-cover on the command line with ebook-converter. I get a blank background 'cover/first page' with a rectangular section near the top, with the title and publisher. The rectangular area is in a slightly darker shade than the background. I call this the 'generic' cover.

Actual cover generation is fine. I then run 'modify-epub' and select 'insert or replace cover' and the newly generated cover image is inserted, and the old one becomes page 2.

So instead, I tried running 'modify' with 'remove existing cover' *before* generating the cover, and running modify again to insert. The existing cover was not removed (first or at all).

Before, when I re-converted, the generic cover was deleted. So things are very close, but not quite right. There must be a little bug somewhere which treats the generic cover as not being a cover.

Still playing with all this, so re-converting is not a problem.
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #263
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast

Oops, brushed 'reply' too early.
Re-converting *does* remove the generic cover from between the generated cover, and the 'frontispiece' of the body.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #264
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Dyspeptica - I'm assume you posted here just because your earlier comments were here but none of that has anything to do with this plugin, it is all ebook-convert command line and the Modify ePub plugin. But I will answer here anyways.

If you insert a cover during an ebook-convert operation, then Modify ePub can replace it with either of "Insert/replace cover" or "Update metadata" options.

If you don't supply a cover during an ebook-convert operation, but allow calibre to generate a default one, the same as above applies.

If you don't supply a cover during an ebook-convert operation, and tell calibre not to generate a default one, then there is no "blank background/generic cover" created by calibre. That page is part of your original ebook or a byproduct of the conversion pipeline for it, it is not a "cover" as such. To then add a cover, you must use the "Insert/replace cover" option of Modify ePub. Which will as you found add a new cover page to the front of your book since your book does not have a real cover already, leaving the existing content alone.

Using the "Remove cover" option of Modify ePub is an option you would only choose if it was your intent to strip covers from your books without putting any back in. It is automatically called behind the scenes when you choose "Insert/replace cover", so there is no point in running it in isolation - in fact it could be detrimental to do so. There are a few posts describing this behaviour at the end of the Modify ePub development thread and the implications of it, and should also be info in the Help file for that plugin.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #265
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast

Thanks Kiwidude,

What I get sure looks like a cover. It must be an artifact of the conversion pipeline. And Modify-epub does not touch it.

So I will try some builds with ebook-convert without the --no-default-epub-cover and *then* generate and use modify. Sounds like that should work: actually *have* a cover for 'replace' to work on!

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #266
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
This is an awesome plugin. Thank you.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #267
Iocane
Iocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheeseIocane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've been playing with my library a lot the last few days (...weeks?) and I just want to say how much I love this plugin. It's so easy to change my cover settings, I've got a handful of presets and I tweak them each as needed.

I mostly use it to make a custom cover when the original cover is either non-existent (fanfic/articles) or simply awful (old sci fi / modern trashy romances) ... or if there's an anthology, the short story entries each have their own cover.

I'm somewhat OCD and both the output of this plugin and the usage are wonderful, excellent job!

(This isn't leading up to 'but if you could just ...' I just wanted to give a shout out to how much I very, very much appreciate this plugin, and wanted to put even a fraction of the thought into my thanks that you put into the actual work.)
Iocane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #268
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Iocane - thanks for the kind words. I did get a giggle out of your "but if you could just..." comment
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #269
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
There should be a little zip file somewhere full of people's favorite background images that work well as generic book covers.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #270
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's not really specifically to do with this plugin, but I'd like to see a nice range of generic plain cover backgrounds, too. It's surprisingly difficult to find anything on the web. I managed to find myself three or four decent images, yesterday, but I'm not even sure any of those are really freely usable. (Not that I intend to distribute them, or anything.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote