Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #331
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
For what it's worth, this is as much a fantasy story as a (m/m) romance, and a good fantasy too.
I enjoyed it very much. One of my favorite Harper books.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #332
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Thanks Blossom. I tjink I might give Crimson a try.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #333
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
Another good reading week - I'm on a roll
Good for you! I love when I can knock out a bunch of books in a week, helps to justify all the new ones coming in! lol
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #334
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
The only reason I'm doing so well is that we bought a new house, so I'm spending my monthly budget on house stuff instead!

I love the With Me in Seattle series, but I found the females to be quite similar (even down to a specific phrase they all often use). but I read 3 & 4 back to back and so really noticed a lot of similarities in scenarios and certain (non-family) character traits. They just didn't feel different enough reading them so close together.

And wow you read a lot! I'm totally moving Worth the Fight up the TBR!
Congrats on your new house! Exciting but expensive for sure. Thanks for the heads up on "With Me" series, I really only want to read the rockstar one anyways so maybe I'll just move that one up.

Re: Worth the Fight, I like Vi Keeland's writing. The story is about what you'd expect, but well done IMO.
And you're right, the more I read the more I feel justified in my purchases.

Laurla, I see you had a good reading week too, love when that happens [where you enjoy everything you read]. I'm off to a good start this week too, hope it lasts!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #335
Lush
Connoisseur
Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Lush considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW, iPad, iPhone
SCRIBD works through either your browser or app on your Tablet/Phone. Think of it as streaming for books. You need internet access and there is no download. There is nothing to keep. This service works best with a good tablet.[/QUOTE]

Blossom, I have been downloading PDF books from Scribd, then saving them to my PC for quite a while now. Perhaps I can only do that because I am a subscriber. I've managed to get many OOP & hard to find vintage romances that way.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #336
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some publishers make PDF downloads available and others don't. Of course there's a lot of pirated content on Scribd too and those usually have downloads available.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #337
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Moved The Governess Affair to the top of my TBR list.

Re The Last Hour of Gann, since I can only find it on Amazon, can I convert it via Calibre and Alf?

Thanks, everyone

Last edited by Tattncat; 10-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #338
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Re The Last Hour of Gann, since I can only find it on Amazon, can I convert it via Calibre and Alf?
Yup.

BTW, in the comments section of DAs review, Jane mentions that the author is in the process of trying to get it available on Kobo, Sony, iTunes & Nook.

That may or may not be delayed as many stores are going through an erotica purge according to Nate: Article 1, Article 2, Article 3

Last edited by apesmom; 10-14-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #339
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Some publishers make PDF downloads available and others don't. Of course there's a lot of pirated content on Scribd too and those usually have downloads available.
What He said! The big publishers do not make downloads available. Avon Romances being one of them.

So true on the unauthorized content. You would think they would do better control now they have Harpercollins on board.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #340
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I had no problem converting via Calibre with Alf. I keep an old original Kindle around just for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Moved The Governess Affair to the top of my TBR list.

Thanks, everyone
Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #341
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
That may or may not be delayed as many stores are going through an erotica purge according to Nate: Article 1, Article 2, Article 3
wow, I guess that explains why I can't find book 2 of Breakneck Series [Crystal Spears] at Kobo when I just bought book 1 a couple of days ago. Admittedly I didn't read all 3 articles, I read enough to get the gist. I totally disagree with censorship, but yes, it's Kobo's right to carry what they want. I hate issues like this, I'm gonna crawl over to my chair and read now.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #342
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I agree they shouldn't censor, but I can understand concern if Kobo is sending recommendations for mostly middle school books and one of the titles is an erotica book. Jane at DA points out that many of the self-pubbed authors have been retitling their books and labeling then as NA/YA so that they are more visable. I can see why the authors think having the adult label could hurt sales, but I also see how parents and others who want to search for books should be able to not have some of these obviously adult books appear in the results.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #343
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I agree they shouldn't censor, but I can understand concern if Kobo is sending recommendations for mostly middle school books and one of the titles is an erotica book. Jane at DA points out that many of the self-pubbed authors have been retitling their books and labeling then as NA/YA so that they are more visable. I can see why the authors think having the adult label could hurt sales, but I also see how parents and others who want to search for books should be able to not have some of these obviously adult books appear in the results.
If Kobo would enact correct filters this wouldn't be an issue. I don't know how they are going to do this. Just think of the Smashwords books they carry! Most Smashwords I come across is smut which is why I stop wading through the site and buy from Kobo instead.

I don't see it happening though they have to remove 50 Shades of Grey and we all know that is going to happen! Erotica is here to stay but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the smut books or put them in the back of the store where they belong!

For those who don't know what smut is just go look at the slush pile on Amazon. I've come across so many barely 18 or I did my stepdaughter titles. Yuk!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #344
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If Kobo would enact correct filters this wouldn't be an issue. I don't know how they are going to do this. Just think of the Smashwords books they carry! Most Smashwords I come across is smut which is why I stop wading through the site and buy from Kobo instead.

I don't see it happening though they have to remove 50 Shades of Grey and we all know that is going to happen! Erotica is here to stay but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the smut books or put them in the back of the store where they belong!

For those who don't know what smut is just go look at the slush pile on Amazon. I've come across so many barely 18 or I did my stepdaughter titles. Yuk!
1st, libraryaddict, I totally agree, and Blossom, with you as well. If Kobo would filter their site properly instead if just deleting authors by the hundreds, this wouldn't happen. They're having a knee-jerk reaction and doing a quick bandaid solution instead of a long term, well thought out plan. Horrible business for a company of that size IMO.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #345
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
1st, libraryaddict, I totally agree, and Blossom, with you as well. If Kobo would filter their site properly instead if just deleting authors by the hundreds, this wouldn't happen. They're having a knee-jerk reaction and doing a quick bandaid solution instead of a long term, well thought out plan. Horrible business for a company of that size IMO.
I read up on a little bit and seems not just Erotica is removed but pretty much all self published type titles including sci-fi and fantasy. So something is really up. Kobo is in trouble with UK Government so I guess they have to act fast by removing anything they think will hurt them.

This is going to upset alot of readers and authors who get stuck in this mess.
Closed Thread