Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #16
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Ummm ... I'm still no wiser on what version to use! ;-)

In my experience (and only mine, other people have different views)
2.2.0 (the japan release) was the most stable for me (although I don't use any Japanese KTs). That was on a Kobo touch I think.
I have no idea how that would fare on a Kobo Glo.

Check out this link for the various firmware versions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81#post2159181

I'm mostly happy with 2.4.0 at this time. The only issue I have is when I turn on my Kobo glo, my sideloaded epubs don't appear on the front page until I press one of screen buttons such as "reading" or whatever.
so slightly annoying, but not the end of the world.

I would add if you manually load firmwares you need to be REALLY careful which one you load. it's very possible to brick your device if you get it wrong, although usually it's possible to get it back with some fiddling about.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 04-15-2013 at 01:12 AM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The only issue I'm having wi 2.4 is that sometimes the Glo shuts down way before the power down timeout and when I turn it back on I need to manually switch the light back on too.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #18
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
OK, thanks for the comments.

Let me ask, please, before I go through a factory reset and upgrade to 2.4, and then maybe have to do it again, are others seeing these happen under 2.4?

1) About half the ePubs I have loaded (all of them sideloaded ePubs) will now open at the first screen of the ToC, and if I tap the screen to move to the next page, the book is closed and marked as completed. None of these had any problem under the previous f/w (2.3.2, I believe).

2) Display settings (font size, margin width etc) no longer update in real time. I have to make the changes, then close and reopen the book, to see their impact. This makes changing settings quite laborious.

Any of this familiar to anyone?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:

Let me ask, please, before I go through a factory reset and upgrade to 2.4, and then maybe have to do it again, are others seeing these happen under 2.4?

1) About half the ePubs I have loaded (all of them sideloaded ePubs) will now open at the first screen of the ToC, and if I tap the screen to move to the next page, the book is closed and marked as completed. None of these had any problem under the previous f/w (2.3.2, I believe).

2) Display settings (font size, margin width etc) no longer update in real time. I have to make the changes, then close and reopen the book, to see their impact. This makes changing settings quite laborious.

I'm on 2.4.0 on a glo. I don't have either of those issues.
That's no guarantee you won't get that. Strangely, there seems to be a variety of strange quirks people get on the same model and firmware... Dunno why.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I'm on 2.4.0 on a glo. I don't have either of those issues.
That's no guarantee you won't get that. Strangely, there seems to be a variety of strange quirks people get on the same model and firmware... Dunno why.
Same here - I have neither of these issues on 2.4.0. Something hinky is going on with that particular device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

That is probably a corrupt database on the device. The logout suggested earlier should have fixed this. But, as you had a problem logging in again, do a factory reset and let it reinstall the firmware.

As to the best firmware to use, I think it is 2.4.0. I haven't found any of them to be unstable. I have seen problems like you describe for reading epubs. They have always been because of database. Either the database was corrupt, or I had restructured the epub and replaced the copy on the device without first deleting it. The device stores the TOC in the database and if this is out of sync with the book, you will have problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for comments in this thread, they've been helpful. :-)

I tried a factory reset, and then upgrading again to 2.4, but that didn't resolve the issues.

But I'm pleased to say I let my Touch update to 2.5 today, and it seems to have ironed out all the speedbumps I was finding on 2.4. The "touch me in 60 seconds or I'll go to sleep and sulk" bug appears to have gone, the shelves and library seem much more robust, the display settings are now responsive, and the sideloaded books have stopped shutting down when I use ToC links.

So; a much happier little Vegemite now! The system seems much faster now, too.

MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=MacEachaidh;2490576The "touch me in 60 seconds or I'll go to sleep and sulk" bug appears to have gone,[/QUOTE]

'Nuff said.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote