Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
At the moment calibre is not seeing my AURA, so I can't sideload books If there is another way to sideload let me know and I will try it.

S
If Calibre is not seeing it then I assume your computer isn't either unless it will require a new driver in Calibre. Does it appear as a drive?

Last edited by Skydog; 04-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
If Calibre is not seeing it then I assume your computer isn't either. Does it appear as a drive?

Yes it appears as a drive.
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
At the moment calibre is not seeing my AURA, so I can't sideload books If there is another way to sideload let me know and I will try it.

S
In order to get Calibre to see your Aura HD, you should do what DavidFor is asking for in the following message so he can write the driver.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=218
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to get Calibre to see your Aura HD, you should do what DavidFor is asking for in the following message so he can write the driver.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=218
Further down in that thread someone has already sent him the info, which is a good thing because I don't really know how to do it

I am not at all concerned that I cannot connect to calibre at the moment, I know that as soon as the driver is available it will be up. Those calibre guys rock too, way more that KOBO!!

It was just if someone wanted me to check sideloaded books and can't wait until I can connect to calibre they will need to let me know another way (and spell out the details because I am not too techy)

S
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
To side load a book you just put the ePub onto the Kobo drive. The Kobo will see it and add it to the database.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Have you tried reading any side-loaded content on it, like EPUBs? If so, are you able to change the line spacing, margins, etc.?

Yes, I am able to change line spacing, font size and margins on a sideloaded book.

S

Last edited by Mostly Math; 04-20-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:

S
Drag and drop straight onto it.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #23
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
I agree with the users who think the hardware is fairly impressive, but the software is sometimes lacking.

What's frustrating, and this is an ongoing issue, that every time a firmware update is released, it introduces new issues. Not just obscure issues, but ones that should be easily identifiable - ones that should be caught in beta.

Seems to me that Kobo could use an expanded beta tester pool. What better place to solicit beta testers than this forum? Within _hours_ of a new firmware patch, users are reporting issues.

C'mon Kobo. How about taking advantage of a great resource?
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@VelvetElvis: You're making a fatal mistake here... You are assuming that the Beta testers tend to know ANYTHING about new releases....

The first we knew of a release after 2.4.0 was when someone mentioned getting it on the MobileRead forums....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #25
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Am I able to read what I want, when I want and how I want? Yes, and to me that is what matters the most.

S
Well, every device allows you to read what you want (I don't know of any reader that's forcing you to read content you don't want), when you want (not heard of any either waking you up to read when you don't want to) and of course how you want (sitting, standing, etc.). I can't really see the point in this argument in favor of kobo.

I think kobo should allocate more of their money on software development and customer service and less on marketing.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Well, every device allows you to read what you want (I don't know of any reader that's forcing you to read content you don't want), when you want (not heard of any either waking you up to read when you don't want to) and of course how you want (sitting, standing, etc.). I can't really see the point in this argument in favor of kobo.
For me, "how I want" means in my choice of font, margins, and line spacing. This is why Kobo won my custom in the first place, and it's how it's holding it (along with the high quality lighting system).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #27
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
For me, "how I want" means in my choice of font, margins, and line spacing. This is why Kobo won my custom in the first place, and it's how it's holding it (along with the high quality lighting system).
Their lighting system was pretty good, albeit with a tendency to output a blueish hue, but it's always been well behind the industry leader which is amazon with its paperwhite implementation. As far as I can tell from the videos they 've not improved on it with the aura hd. Now in terms of choice of font, margins and line spacing, I don't know which device you are referring to that doesn't have user settings for these. They all pretty much allow you to read with your preferences, kobo has more customizations that's all, and you can hack the kindle relatively easily to get more customization there as well. And I 'd rather hack the kindle (though so far I am pretty content as is so I 've not hacked it, although I thought that would be what I 'd do first), so, yeah, I 'd rather hack a good and stable software for more choice than go with buggy frustrating software for the more options.

(am I the only one getting constant questions under my post to reply to for what I suppose is verification purposes? What's with that, first time I come across it in any forum.)
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well, I would have preferred a 6.8" device with an expansion slot and an HD screen from Amazon (since I buy most of my books there). Unfortunately they don't have one, so I ordered the Aura HD.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-21-2013 at 07:45 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Their lighting system was pretty good, albeit with a tendency to output a blueish hue, but it's always been well behind the industry leader which is amazon with its paperwhite implementation. As far as I can tell from the videos they 've not improved on it with the aura hd.
Your eyes are very, very different from mine, if you've watched the goodereader nighttime reading comparison between the PW and the Aura, and determined that the Paperwhite is anywhere near the same league.

Each to their own. Enjoy your Kindle, and happy reading. I assume you'll be off to the Kindle forum now, to help out your fellow Kindle owners with their questions? Seeya.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
Fourl29
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Your eyes are very, very different from mine, if you've watched the goodereader nighttime reading comparison between the PW and the Aura, and determined that the Paperwhite is anywhere near the same league.

Each to their own. Enjoy your Kindle, and happy reading. I assume you'll be off to the Kindle forum now, to help out your fellow Kindle owners with their questions? Seeya.
Why would you assume that? Maybe I will, maybe I won't. What's that got to do with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, I would have preferred a 6.8" device with an expansion slot and an HD screen from Amazon (since I buy most of my books there). Unfortunately they don't have one, so I ordered the Aura HD.
Well, that's a valid point. I am thinking of getting one myself actually, and reselling it afterwards once amazon or b&n, or sony for that matter come up with their iteration.