Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Lightbulb N2ACard on Nook HD+

Has anyone used the N2ACard on a Nook HD + (the 9 inch tablet)?

According to their website it enables you to boot from an SD card into Android Jelly Bean.

Has anyone tried it? Is it stable? What is the speed like? I have some concerns that running an OS from a Class 4 microSD card might be slow. Does it lose any functionality?

I originally bought the software download from N2ACards to make my own microSD - failed miserably. Probably a concern with my PC. But they refunded me. So I purchased the pre-made SD card from them with the software already loaded. It is in the mail. They offer a 30 day return. In the interim I had returned the Nook to B&N, so I will need to purchase it again. I am hoping that the store will let me install the microSD card into the shop model. But I value your input.

Thanks,

Richard.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Another related question: N2ACard or root and download google play? What would be best? Or just sideload apps? All I need is a different calendar that will read all of my Google calendars, a todo app, and Logos Bible / Verbum..

Last edited by Prince Hal; 01-25-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I created my own card. Read this post to see some of my issues.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Has anyone used the N2ACard on a Nook HD + (the 9 inch tablet)?

According to their website it enables you to boot from an SD card into Android Jelly Bean.

Has anyone tried it? Is it stable? What is the speed like? I have some concerns that running an OS from a Class 4 microSD card might be slow. Does it lose any functionality?

I originally bought the software download from N2ACards to make my own microSD - failed miserably. Probably a concern with my PC. But they refunded me. So I purchased the pre-made SD card from them with the software already loaded. It is in the mail. They offer a 30 day return. In the interim I had returned the Nook to B&N, so I will need to purchase it again. I am hoping that the store will let me install the microSD card into the shop model. But I value your input.
Running an OS requires fast reads/writes of relatively short data blocks that are typically "scatterly" placed. Media (e.g., video) content storage/retrieval on the other hand requires fast reads/writes of relatively long data blocks that are most likely contiguous. Most SDHC classes 10 and 6 are geared and hence optimized for the latter use, at the expense of the former. As such class 4 SDcards (in particular some Sandisk class 4 models) have been found to be best performer for hosting a tablet ROM. See the XDA thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633 for more detailed performance comparison of different SDcard brands/models/classes.

Also, FWIW, outfits such as N2A do not develop the ROMs they are selling but rather just re-package the very same ROMs which their real developers make available freely on XDA forums -- and often with the clear stipulation "do not sell pre-made sdcard" -- with the convenience of a ready-to-use card and purported "technical support". As such, whatever outstanding issues with beta versions of these free ROMs are likely to be found in the versions on the pre-made cards that these outfits sell.

Last edited by livramax; 01-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Prince Hal
Zealot

SD Card vs Internal Memory

Does anyone have experience regarding using a Nook HD+ with the android o/s n the external microsd card as opposed to actually fully flashing the o/s onto the internal memory?

I am now using an microsd card in the external memory slot of my Nook. Have to say it is slow for some apps. They stop and I get the message that the app is not working do I want to quit or wait. I wait and it works - but oh so slowly.

Would flashing speed things up. Using a SanDisk Clas 4 32GB with the 10.1 Cyanogenmod ROM, purchased the card from RootMyNook.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Does anyone have experience regarding using a Nook HD+ with the android o/s n the external microsd card as opposed to actually fully flashing the o/s onto the internal memory?

I am now using an microsd card in the external memory slot of my Nook. Have to say it is slow for some apps. They stop and I get the message that the app is not working do I want to quit or wait. I wait and it works - but oh so slowly.

Would flashing speed things up. Using a SanDisk Clas 4 32GB with the 10.1 Cyanogenmod ROM, purchased the card from RootMyNook.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
As far as I know, currently it's not possible to write CM10.1 to the internal EMMC, only SD card works. You may want to check faster SD cards.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot

SD Card vs Internal Memory

Thanks. Apparently a class 4 only works. Thanks for the info regards writing to the internal memory. It's just as slow as molasses from the card.

Tags
n2a, n2acard, root, root nook hd