Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
ArchStanton
ArchStanton began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yet another search for a reader...

Hello everybody.

I've driven through the archives but I'm not seeing any clear answer to what I'm after in an ebook reader. I currently own an eBookwise and would like to find something not dissimilar. Here's what I'm really after.

1) Backlit, so that it can be read in the dark without dealing with a light.
2) Ability to read pdf files...reflow would be a good thing. + other common formats.
3) Higher resolution than eBookwise plus a somewhat larger screen.
4) Easy to load up (which is a total PITA with the eBookwise). USB and dragging files would be great.
5) Last page/next page physical button rather than some sort of fiddly using of the touch screen.

When you get right down to it, a slightly larger eBookwise that dealt well with pdf and had a better USB interface would be just the ticket.

Any thoughts? thanks for any input.
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Someone has mentioned that Augen's "The Book" is very similar to the ebookwise. I haven't had a chance to test out "The Book" yet but am curious as I also miss having backlight. Checkout Nate the Great's review here :https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91655. Other users have also posted comments about it you may want to read.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
maybe the Pandigital Novel
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ArchStanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
Someone has mentioned that Augen's "The Book" is very similar to the ebookwise. I haven't had a chance to test out "The Book" yet but am curious as I also miss having backlight. Checkout Nate the Great's review here :https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91655. Other users have also posted comments about it you may want to read.
Oooh, thanks on that one, I'd never heard of it. I'll pop by K-Mart and see if they exist there.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
Hello everybody.

I've driven through the archives but I'm not seeing any clear answer to what I'm after in an ebook reader. I currently own an eBookwise and would like to find something not dissimilar. Here's what I'm really after.

1) Backlit, so that it can be read in the dark without dealing with a light.
2) Ability to read pdf files...reflow would be a good thing. + other common formats.
3) Higher resolution than eBookwise plus a somewhat larger screen.
4) Easy to load up (which is a total PITA with the eBookwise). USB and dragging files would be great.
5) Last page/next page physical button rather than some sort of fiddly using of the touch screen.

When you get right down to it, a slightly larger eBookwise that dealt well with pdf and had a better USB interface would be just the ticket.

Any thoughts? thanks for any input.
Pandigital Novel does all of that when it is hacked, except for physical buttons. The Adobe reader app even does reflow.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest taking a look at the Apple iPod. It will read pretty much every eBook format around, and fully meets your requirements.

Edit: I mean iPad, of course, not iPod .

Last edited by HarryT; 07-24-2010 at 03:05 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yeah, I was thinking the iPad, actually. ArchStation, where do you live? Or perhaps the Kindle DX. The larger screen is said to handle pdfs quite well. Alas, it is not backlit.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
ArchStanton

Thanks for the responses everybody.

What I ended up doing is running by K-Mart and buying one of those Auger 'The Book' gizmos for $89.

It works fine. Given the fact that it no doubt has a cheapie CPU (and is using Linux I believe), I'm not surprised by the slow boot and poor speed of the browser, but it works fine for the pdfs I've thrown at it. A bit bigger screen would have been nice, but for the price I'm happy.

The mechanical designers could have stood to look at the buttons on the side of the ebookwise....the ones on the unit are a bit loud if you are trying to read quietly, but the joystick is an ok stand-in.

As far as full-blown tablets are concerned, I have an allergy to Apple products, LOL, I guess that makes me an 'independent geek'.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...ks-says-study/

so I'll probably wait for the Google OS world to settle down a bit before getting something like that.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm especially allergic to the expense of Apple products.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote