Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #16
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
On my Kobo Forma,
In my home screen, I see a "Take a quick tour" box. I tap it and press the "Next" arrow, hoping that going through it once will make it disappear. But when I return to my home screen, i still see it there.

If I recall, older patch versions (Maybe a year ago) were able to remove this. Did I just overlook a patch that can disable this?

Update: after syncing once, that box is now gone. It's been happily replaced with 2 more book covers

Last edited by droopy; 03-05-2023 at 12:11 AM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #17
LyrasDeamon
LyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeLyrasDeamon possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: none
Hi everyone, I’m trying to patch my Kobo again and this time am having issues I can’t figure out. When I run the Kobopatch.sh, I’m getting an error on line 9 that reads ./bin/kobopatch-Darwin-64bit: no such file exists. I’m running the shell script from the Kobopatch folder stored in my Downloads as it’s my understanding that the root file that gets generated is what should be moved into the .kobo folder. I don’t have a Darwin-64bit file anywhere and am not sure where it should be. I have a Mac and am on Big Sur at the moment, I did have an issue where my attempts to run the shell script were blocked and I’m wondering if that might be causing the problem? I’m not sure tbh but any help you could offer would be great! I searched and the one similar issue I saw didn’t have an answer I could use for my situation.
LyrasDeamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrasDeamon View Post
Hi everyone, I’m trying to patch my Kobo again and this time am having issues I can’t figure out. When I run the Kobopatch.sh, I’m getting an error on line 9 that reads ./bin/kobopatch-Darwin-64bit: no such file exists. I’m running the shell script from the Kobopatch folder stored in my Downloads as it’s my understanding that the root file that gets generated is what should be moved into the .kobo folder. I don’t have a Darwin-64bit file anywhere and am not sure where it should be. I have a Mac and am on Big Sur at the moment, I did have an issue where my attempts to run the shell script were blocked and I’m wondering if that might be causing the problem? I’m not sure tbh but any help you could offer would be great! I searched and the one similar issue I saw didn’t have an answer I could use for my situation.
The Mac executable file is found in the kobopatch zip file that you downloaded, kobopatch_4.35.20400.zip. It's in the bin subdirectory. However, it is named bin/kobopatch-darwin-64bit not bin/kobopatch-Darwin-64bit.

I'm not a Mac user but I think ?? case matters on a Mac (unlike Windows). Is that your problem? The kobopatch.sh contained in my downloaded kobopatch zip file shows darwin-64bit not Darwin-64bit.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #19
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
If Mac is blocking your running of the shell script, it will show up in Settings/Security and Privacy on the left hand side and give you a chance to allow it.
As I remember, it tells you with a pop up that it's blocking it the first time but not on subsequent attempts.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:34 AM   #20
tokyoinovember
tokyoinovember began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Hello guys,
I don't know if this is the right topic where to ask but I have a problem with kobopatch and my kobo clara 2E. It's the first time for me because I am new to kobo, I followed the instructions on how to patch the device step by step (I see the message that says the patches have been successfully saved, the Kobo roots file does appear in the "out folder", the device self reboots etc...) but then when I open the device nothing has changed. The patches I want do disable in particular are "go to the kobo shop" and the "recommendations" from the home but they're still there. What can I do? Have you any idea of what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the answers
tokyoinovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2023, 09:00 AM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoinovember View Post
The patches I want do disable in particular are "go to the kobo shop" and the "recommendations" from the home but they're still there.
The bolded phrase is ambiguous to me. You need to Enable the patches you want, not Disable them. What changes did you make to your .yaml files before running kobopatch.bat (if Windows) on your PC to create the file out/KoboRoot.tgz?
Old 05-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #22
tokyoinovember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The bolded phrase is ambiguous to me. You need to Enable the patches you want, not Disable them. What changes did you make to your .yaml files before running kobopatch.bat (if Windows) on your PC to create the file out/KoboRoot.tgz?
Sorry, I meant enable! Yes, it's windows and I simply opened the .yaml files and enabled (setting to yes) the patches I wanted and then saved the files. I tried both with the method described in here and the application in this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352447 but the problem still remains.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I meant enable! Yes, it's windows and I simply opened the .yaml files and enabled (setting to yes) the patches I wanted and then saved the files. I tried both with the method described in here and the application in this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352447 but the problem still remains.
If you want to zip up your 5 .yaml files (kobopatch.yaml plus the 4 in the src subdir) into a single file and post the zip file here, I can take a closer look.

I don't use KoboPatchFan so I can't comment.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #24
tokyoinovember

Quote:
If you want to zip up your 5 .yaml files (kobopatch.yaml plus the 4 in the src subdir) into a single file and post the zip file here, I can take a closer look.

I don't use KoboPatchFan so I can't comment.
Thank you!

https://files.fm/u/n4pq82gas
Old 05-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you!
You appear to have correctly enabled 5 patches from libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. The bad news is that I never use any of those 5, so I don't necessarily know what they are supposed to do when they are working correctly. I'll continue anyway...

I ran kobopatch using the .yaml files you attached above. There were no errors and I installed the resulting KoboRoot.tgz on my own Clara2E.
  1. Remove title from reading header/footer: This appears to work as designed, i.e. when reading a book, the book title has been removed from the footer caption and the current chapter name has been removed from the header caption, leaving only the reading progress metrics. I don't really understand why you'd want to do that ... but each to their own.
  2. Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks: This one is affecting which random-cycled widget is displayed in (row3col2) of the home screen. As far as I can tell it's working. I saw no sign of KoboPlus, wishlist or points in that position. However, I don't use wi-fi so it's possible(?) that may also play a role in which random widgets are chosen for display.
  3. Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: I've no way of knowing whether this patch is working or not. I'm not really sure what it's for. I don't use it because as soon as you've opened 3+ books (row1col2) contains 1/2 recently opened book covers from your personal library - just like (row1col1). The only time I've ever seen any Recommendations is on a brand new device. As soon as you start to open some books, (row1col2) will display recently opened books from your personal library rather than Kobo advertising. Similarly (row2col2) will display a 3-book widget based on one of your Collections or maybe one of your Authors.
  4. Rename new home screen footer and
    Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Activity:
    I'm pretty clueless about these 2 patches. You might get better advice from someone who actually uses them. I've enabled them exactly as you specified. What I see is a change to the home screen (row3col1). The default lower line "SHOP KOBO" has changed to "ACTIVITY" and tapping this widget no longer takes me to the Kobo Store (at least it would if my wi-fi was enabled), but instead opens the local Activity page showing detailed reading metrics for my current book, i.e. the first book displayed in (row1col1). It's the same display as selecting More > Activity from the menus. Is that different to what you were expecting?

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-01-2023 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarified item 4.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #26
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
You appear to have correctly enabled 5 patches from libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml. The bad news is that I never use any of those 5, so I don't necessarily know what they are supposed to do when they are working correctly. I'll continue anyway...

I ran kobopatch using the .yaml files you attached above. There were no errors and I installed the resulting KoboRoot.tgz on my own Clara2E.
  1. Remove title from reading header/footer: This appears to work as designed, i.e. when reading a book, the book title has been removed from the footer caption and the current chapter name has been removed from the header caption, leaving only the reading progress metrics. I don't really understand why you'd want to do that ... but each to their own.
  2. Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks: This one is affecting which random-cycled widget is displayed in (row3col2) of the home screen. As far as I can tell it's working. I saw no sign of KoboPlus, wishlist or points in that position. However, I don't use wi-fi so it's possible(?) that may also play a role in which random widgets are chosen for display.
  3. Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: I've no way of knowing whether this patch is working or not. I'm not really sure what it's for. I don't use it because as soon as you've opened 3+ books (row1col2) contains 1/2 recently opened book covers from your personal library - just like (row1col1). The only time I've ever seen any Recommendations is on a brand new device. As soon as you start to open some books, (row1col2) will display recently opened books from your personal library rather than Kobo advertising. Similarly (row2col2) will display a 3-book widget based on one of your Collections or maybe one of your Authors.
    I'm pretty clueless about these 2 patches. You might get better advice from someone who actually uses them. I've enabled them exactly as you specified. What I see is a change to the home screen (row3col1). The default lower line "SHOP KOBO" has changed to "ACTIVITY" and tapping this widget no longer takes me to the Kobo Store (at least it would if my wi-fi was enabled), but instead opens the local Activity page showing detailed reading metrics for my current book, i.e. the first book displayed in (row1col1). Is that different to what you were expecting?
I use #'s 2 & 3 on my Clara 2E (and all other Kobos) with no problem whatsoever. The labels present on my home screen are at the bottom: Home, My Books, Discover and More.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use the patches 1-3 on both my Sage and Libra, and they work as expected.

(As to why someone would want to remove the title from the header/footer... too much clutter. I know what book I'm reading, I have no need to see the title. It's just visual noise for me and that's why I remove it).

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-01-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #28
tokyoinovember

Quote:

I'm pretty clueless about these 2 patches. You might get better advice from someone who actually uses them. I've enabled them exactly as you specified. What I see is a change to the home screen (row3col1). The default lower line "SHOP KOBO" has changed to "ACTIVITY" and tapping this widget no longer takes me to the Kobo Store (at least it would if my wi-fi was enabled), but instead opens the local Activity page showing detailed reading metrics for my current book, i.e. the first book displayed in (row1col1). It's the same display as selecting More > Activity from the menus. Is that different to what you were expecting?
So, number 1 is actually working for me too,
number 4 and 5 I only enabled them cause I thought they could help (along with number 2 and 3) to remove the part I circled in yellow
https://files.fm/u/hacpenq6f . And yeah, the default lower line has changed in my device too, exactly as you described, I just thought the patches unabled were meant to make them disappear from the home section.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #29
tokyoinovember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I use #'s 2 & 3 on my Clara 2E (and all other Kobos) with no problem whatsoever. The labels present on my home screen are at the bottom: Home, My Books, Discover and More.
This is how it looks like on my device https://files.fm/u/hacpenq6f . Isn't the part circled in yellow meant to be removed?
Old 05-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
This is how it looks like on my device https://files.fm/u/hacpenq6f . Isn't the part circled in yellow meant to be removed?
It's removed on my Kobos. But I think you can't enable both 4 and 5 simultaneously, it must be the one or the other. If you enable 5, that part will still remain on the home screen. Enable only 4.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-01-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching