Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #121
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't see why anyone would feel "ripped off"; Amazon have done nothing dishonest or unethical here. What do you suggest they do? Say "don't buy a Paperwhite now because we'll be releasing a new model in a couple of months"?
Amazon has effectively dropped the price of a Voyage by 40% in 9 months. Even by tech standards, that's a massively huge drop in a stunningly short period of time. For current PW2 customers, it is even worse.

Most companies have more respect for their current users, if only because they don't want their current customers to become former customers at the earliest possible time.

Amazon, evidently, doesn't seem to care about that at the moment. They will, though, as the Kindle ereader goes the way of the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire Phone.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #122
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Amazon has effectively dropped the price of a Voyage by 40% in 9 months. Even by tech standards, that's a massively huge drop in a stunningly short period of time. For current PW2 customers, it is even worse.

Most companies have more respect for their current users, if only because they don't want their current customers to become former customers at the earliest possible time.

Amazon, evidently, doesn't seem to care about that at the moment. They will, though, as the Kindle ereader goes the way of the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire Phone.
What absolute nonsense. A Voyage is not merely a Paperwhite with a higher-resolution screen - it's a completely different device with a metal case, toughened glass screen, page-turn sensors, and light sensor, none of which the Paperwhite has. Adding a higher-resolution screen to a Paperwhite does not magically turn it into a Voyage.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-20-2015 at 10:23 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #123
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What absolute nonsense. A Voyage is not merely a Paperwhite with a higher-resolution screen - it's a completely different device with a metal case, toughened glass screen, page-turn sensors, and light sensor, none of which the Paperwhite has. Adding a higher-resolution screen to a Paperwhite does not magically turn it into a Voyage.
I had the two models in my hand the other day. I was surprised how similar they were. Is the Voyage metal? It felt like plastic, but I suppose it could have been black aluminum. I didn't notice much difference in build quality between the Voyage and the PW. A bit. Not much. Same old meh 6" e-reader.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-20-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #124
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
Amazon has effectively dropped the price of a Voyage by 40% in 9 months.
Have they dropped the price? I wasn't aware of that. By what amount? I thought it was still the same very high price.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Have they dropped the price? I wasn't aware of that. By what amount? I thought it was still the same very high price.
They haven't dropped the price. The previous poster is making the ludicrous assertion that the new PW is somehow equivalent to the Voyage.
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #126
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
DreamWriter THANKS for the clip!
You're welcome, Katie. I also found the video comparison of the Paperwhite 2, new Paperwhite 3, and Voyage very helpful.

I read on my Fire HD6 most of the time these days, and I still use my Kindle Keyboard occasionally. This new Paperwhite is very tempting, though...
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #127
henrykay
henrykay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I consider upgrading from PW1 to PW3. Is the official case for PW1 suitable or i have to buy a new case all over again?
henrykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrykay View Post
I consider upgrading from PW1 to PW3. Is the official case for PW1 suitable or i have to buy a new case all over again?
Same case will work fine. The PW1, 2, 3 all use the same cases.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #129
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I had the two models in my hand the other day. I was surprised how similar they were. Is the Voyage metal? It felt like plastic, but I suppose it could have been black aluminum. I didn't notice much difference in build quality between the Voyage and the PW. A bit. Not much. Same old meh 6" e-reader.
It is metal since it actually can get annoyingly cold when you read outside.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #130
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have the Voyage in my hand right now. I had the PW1 in my hand thirty seconds ago. I had a Paperwhite 2 but sent it in for exhange for a PW3. No rational person would say there is no significant difference between the Paperwhites and the Voyage.

So far, I prefer the Paperwhite but I certainly can recognize the differences.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have the Voyage in my hand right now. I had the PW1 in my hand thirty seconds ago. I had a Paperwhite 2 but sent it in for exhange for a PW3. No rational person would say there is no significant difference between the Paperwhites and the Voyage.

I can only think that the person who said they were the same has never actually used a Voyage.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #132
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
For those wondering, the New Paperwhite will be compatible with Active Content, as it is the current one (Voyage is not compatible). I have asked Customer Support.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
For those wondering, the New Paperwhite will be compatible with Active Content, as it is the current one (Voyage is not compatible). I have asked Customer Support.
Thank you for clarifying that.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #134
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

Just wondering, why do you prefer the Paperwhite over the Voyage? Isn't the Voyage much nicer to use one handed since it's much lighter and comes with pagepress sensor so you won't have to move your thumb to turn pages?
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #135
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Just wondering, why do you prefer the Paperwhite over the Voyage? Isn't the Voyage much nicer to use one handed since it's much lighter and comes with pagepress sensor so you won't have to move your thumb to turn pages?
actually if you have any rsi/tendinitis issues, like I have, then pressing the haptic buttons even on lightest setting puts more strain on thumb & wrist tendon than touching centre zone of screen or gently swiping to page turn.

a person with normal hand capability is probably blissfully unaware, but a button press ( which has to be held for 1/2 second or so ) takes more force than a screen tap, and the button access needs some thumb movement if you are holding the tablet in a normal one handed grip.

I didn't find any comfortable grip which naturally rests tip of thumb on button. Could be that it just a case of practice until you find that knack, but I gave up :-(
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote