Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #31
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I'm sure Amazon wants to standardize on one screen to keep costs down for them. This is probably increasing their profit margin on the Voyage, because their price per panel is probably going down.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #32
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And that is of course your choice to make, but it's good that Amazon gives us that choice to make.
running the amazon voyage/ new PW specs side by side, the only other difference i can see, apart from the buttons that I don't use, is the auto adjust to ambient light feature on the screen light ( which i have ticked but i am unsure If I've ever seen it do anything)

and it is smaller + lighter, but only by tiny amount

So if there was a trade-down program, I'd trade down but I doubt that a slightly used voyage will now sell for more than a new PW, after selling & shipping costs
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think I'll stick with my voyage. I can't see the point of this new paperwhite.
To compete with the Glo HD and for people like me who would never pay $189 for an eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:55 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I don't really get the product positioning here. This will be same size as voyage, with same screen quality- but much cheaper ?
It's actually a little heavier and bulkier than the Voyage -- and, as mentioned by others, the PW3 doesn't have the same flush screen or page turn keys that the Voyage has.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlsinwi View Post
Finally a new Paperwhite but WTf it only has more PPI? They should have made it lighter (I know that technically it is 1 gram lighter) They won't say if it has more book storage or a faster processor. I'm underwhelmed.
It also has twice as much RAM (not storage) and is $10 cheaper. If the screens turn out to be good (without the early issues they had on the Voyage), I'll probably get one.
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 12:58 AM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am about due for a new Kindle (my PW1 will be 3 years old in a few months), but I think I'm going to wait for some opinions on the PW3 vs Voyage comparison. And yes, I am hoping they'll find reason to drop the price on the Voyage $20 or more, because that's the one I'll probably go with (faster charge time, lighter, sleeker etc.).

I can't find the CPU/RAM spec for Voyage. Is it the same as PW3?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 AM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Voyage also has 512 MB RAM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
They want to keep voyage owners feeling special :-)
A lot of Voyage owners are going to feel ripped off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:09 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have long said that I wouldn't buy another ebook reader until it had a non-glass substrate screen.

But I can't resist this one. A 300dpi screen without the glass front of the Kindle Voyage (adding glass to an eReader seems insane).

So it's ordered! We'll see how my wife likes her new toy when it arrives.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:13 AM   #40
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of Voyage owners are going to feel ripped off.
I do, but that's the price you pay for having the newest toys.

I wonder what price the voyage will be, come next xmas ?

and also if there's a hidden admission here that the page turn buttons have not been a great success. I can't get on with them. I can't lose the feeling that if I press for not exactly the right time I am going to get double page turns, tapping/swiping feels easier & safer.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But I can't resist this one. A 300dpi screen without the glass front of the Kindle Voyage (adding glass to an eReader seems insane).
The Voyage has a "Gorilla Glass" outer screen, which is extremely tough. It makes the device far more rigid and less prone to fracturing the screen substrate than the much more "flexible" PW. I've seen no reports at all of fractured substrates on the Voyage. Has anyone else?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #42
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Voyage has a "Gorilla Glass" outer screen, which is extremely tough. It makes the device far more rigid and less prone to fracturing the screen substrate than the much more "flexible" PW...
I missed that difference. So there is a voyage-only feature that I like . I don't feel so bad now
Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I missed that difference. So there is a voyage-only feature that I like . I don't feel so bad now
It's a pretty significant difference that many people do overlook. The Voyage's outer screen is the same as that used by high-end tablets, and is a lot tougher and more scratch-resistant than the PW's plastic outer screen.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #44
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Is there an authoritative reference for the Voyage having Gorilla Glass? All I can find at Amazon is that it has "specially reinforced" glass. A few blogs say it's Gorilla, but they're unreferenced and could be muddling the Voyage with the Fires from what I can see.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Is there an authoritative reference for the Voyage having Gorilla Glass? All I can find at Amazon is that it has "specially reinforced" glass. A few blogs say it's Gorilla, but they're unreferenced and could be muddling the Voyage with the Fires from what I can see.
I'm going from reviews too, meera. I don't think the brand name really matters, though; reinforced glass compared to plastic makes the Voyage an extremely strong and rigid device.