Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Recommend your fav Fictionwise multiformat offerings!

I would like to partake in the year-end sale at Fictionwise, and am especially interested in getting some multiformat titles---in the sale, you get micropay rebates on secure titles, but outright discounts on the multiformat ones, so that would be my preference. I have read some good multiformat ones in the past, but I have also read some clunkers. Please recommend to me as many good ones as you can think of! I am not too into the sci-fi (not in book form, anyway) but enjoy mystery, suspense and 'paranormal.'
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
The Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine is a good one, it's inexpensive and you get a ton of stories in one spot. I had a regular subscription for years and am really happy to see it in multiformat on fictionwise.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
Just gonna mention my novel, "Sex and Murder". It's primarily horror, but my publisher lists it in the paranormal section as well.

Here's a thread on it, complete with links to the first chapter and it's video trailer.

I'm just suggestin'.
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
The Rafael Sabatini Omnibus, includes Scaramouche, one of my favorite books as well as Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk. All very good books, much different than the movies.

Alexandre Dumas's novels about D'Artagnon and The Three Musketeers - The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de Valliere and finishes with The Man in the Iron Mask. If you've seen the movie Man in the Iron Mask, the actual story is different. Much more complex and interesting.

James Fennimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers

Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous

Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities

Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe

Warren Adler's Trans-Siberian Express
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Alexandre Dumas's novels about D'Artagnon and The Three Musketeers - The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de Valliere and finishes with The Man in the Iron Mask. If you've seen the movie Man in the Iron Mask, the actual story is different. Much more complex and interesting.

James Fennimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers

Rudyard Kipling's Captains Courageous

Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities

Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe
... all of which are, I believe, available here for free .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I would like to partake in the year-end sale at Fictionwise, and am especially interested in getting some multiformat titles---in the sale, you get micropay rebates on secure titles, but outright discounts on the multiformat ones, so that would be my preference. I have read some good multiformat ones in the past, but I have also read some clunkers. Please recommend to me as many good ones as you can think of! I am not too into the sci-fi (not in book form, anyway) but enjoy mystery, suspense and 'paranormal.'
I would highly recommend the rollicking ("somewhat dated") mysteries of Richard Prather, creator of that wise-cracking, woman-loving, white-eyebrowed breed of PI.

Fun reads, very good mysteries, and very often hilarious. I mention "somewhat dated," only because they're not PC in many instances.

There are about 37 available from Fictionwise.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Rhodes View Post
Just gonna mention my novel, "Sex and Murder". It's primarily horror, but my publisher lists it in the paranormal section as well.

Here's a thread on it, complete with links to the first chapter and it's video trailer.

I'm just suggestin'.
Your book is a wild, bloody, crazy read---- all words of praise.

I bought it at Fictionwise and gave it the highest rating, "Great - I loved it."

Thank you for your work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Rhodes View Post

I'm just suggestin'.
Picked it up yesterday night at Fictionwise. Will let you know what i think when I'm done!
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
Thank you Dr. Drib. I saw the new Great rating. I'm glad you liked it.
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
This will be a SF based list, since that is what I read.

Kirinyaga stories, by Mike Resnick, Vol 1
Kirinyaga stories, by Mike Resnick, Vol 2
I've only read one of the stories so far, but it was great. (he has lots of other stories too, but I haven't gotten to them yet)
"The Kirinyaga stories are perhaps Mike Resnick's most acclaimed series of short stories. An African tribe relocates to a terraformed world to escape modern Kenya and live according to their customs. All of these stories were either nominated or won Hugo and/or Nebula awards."

Eon series by Greg Bear (they don't have the 3rd book Eternity, but each is pretty stand alone)
Actually, quite a few of Greg Bear's novels are multiformat.

All the short stories that I suggested here.

A few series that I haven't read but heard lots about:
Honor Harrington Series
Vorkosigan Series
Dray Prescot Series
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for this - have just joined Fictionwise and splashed out $50 dollars on 17 books and 3 magazines (all multiformat) in the sale, not a bad haul

These included "Sex and Murder" and the Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, I also downloaded Captain Blood from MobileRead. I have plenty of reading for the holiday season ahead now
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dell Magazine publishes Asimov's and Analog Science Fiction and Fact in multiformat.

And TTA Press for Interzone.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Ed Howdershelt (all of his) but you can get a much better deal from him at Abintra Press if you buy his bundles. (Warning - several are rather "erotica" - may be offensive to some).

However is his a very good story teller, IMHO.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #14
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I highly recommend Calling by Jack Brokenshire

This was one of the first books I bought from Fictionwise for my reader a few months back and I loved every page of this book.

It is about a man who finds his mobile phone can call Heaven so he can speak with his deceased loved ones. it follows his story and the repercussions of sharing this phone with others, amazing tale.
It has a very thought provoking story and it has remained with me long after reading, a definite keeper and re-reader for me. Go check it out.

Last edited by babyd; 12-14-2008 at 03:44 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
CleverClothe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Eon series by Greg Bear (they don't have the 3rd book Eternity, but each is pretty stand alone)
Good news, Eternity is now on Fictionwise.