Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Trouble with collections with new Kobo e-reader

I have just broken my Kobo Glo HD which I had set up to enable collections.

I've just purchased a Clara HD and I'm having trouble with collections.

I've not changed anything in Calibre, but I've just transferred a series of 10 books and the Clara has not put them into collections.

In fact, I've now got 8 pages of collections, (which I have under series in Calibre), but they all show 0 books, which is correct because I haven't loaded them, but the one which should be showing 10 books isn't.

So why does the Clara show all the collections even though I haven't loaded the books, and what have I done wrong to not have the 10 books listed under the collection title that I have in Calibre under series?
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect some of this is you are syncing to Kobo (the store).
I would think that 'A collection' would be basic place , but (IMHO) they did it right and are waiting for YOU to determine what books are to be included ON THAT DEVICE
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Trying to delete the collections on the Clara and it has to be done one by one, so I thought I'd just factory reset and start again.

After using Kobo desktop to register it, all the 8 pages of collections are back showing 0 books, which is right as I haven't loaded any yet.

Where did the collections come from?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect some of this is you are syncing to Kobo (the store).
I would think that 'A collection' would be basic place , but (IMHO) they did it right and are waiting for YOU to determine what books are to be included ON THAT DEVICE
Haven't bought any books from Kobo, so none in my store, so where are the collections stored at Kobo?

Maybe better deleting my account and starting again.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I have just broken my Kobo Glo HD which I had set up to enable collections.

I've just purchased a Clara HD and I'm having trouble with collections.

I've not changed anything in Calibre, but I've just transferred a series of 10 books and the Clara has not put them into collections.

In fact, I've now got 8 pages of collections, (which I have under series in Calibre), but they all show 0 books, which is correct because I haven't loaded them, but the one which should be showing 10 books isn't.

So why does the Clara show all the collections even though I haven't loaded the books, and what have I done wrong to not have the 10 books listed under the collection title that I have in Calibre under series?
Have a read of the following thread. It will help you setup Calibre to work with Collections.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324298
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Chocky
Addict

Hmm, deactivated account but would not let me start a new one with same email, so reactivated, reset Clara, registered, and all the pages of collections are still there.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a read of the following thread. It will help you setup Calibre to work with Collections.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324298
Thank you for the link, I had to change the Kobo Tough metadata and collections to that shown.

Would still like to get rid of all the 0 book collections though, and I don't understand why it all worked before with the Glo
Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Chocky
Addict

To update,

collections are now recording the books on the device in the right place, so that's all good.

Still got 8 pages of collections showing 0 books as I haven't, and might not, load them onto the device.

How can I get rid of all those collections with 0 books?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
To update,

collections are now recording the books on the device in the right place, so that's all good.

Still got 8 pages of collections showing 0 books as I haven't, and might not, load them onto the device.

How can I get rid of all those collections with 0 books?
Right click The Kobo (plugin) Icon: Driver: Configure current driver- Extended...
See attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboCollect.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	174638  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Right click The Kobo (plugin) Icon: Driver: Configure current driver- Extended...
See attached image
Unfortunately that is already checked.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Unfortunately that is already checked.
That means there is something connecting a book to the collection. The KoboTouch driver is reading the database on the device to check the status of the collections. Usually if there is what appears to be an empty collection, it means you have a book from Kobo in the collection that is not downloaded to the device. Or has been deleted and hasn't been synced yet. When deleting collections and removing books from the collection, it does this in a way that should mark them as deleted and the next sync to the server remove it completely, including from the server.

And the server is where these collections come from. A sync will sync the collections. But, it doesn't sync anything about sideloaded book. Create an empty collection, do a sync and the collection will be added to the server. Do a factory reset, and the collection will be synced from the device during the setup. If you use calibre to manage the collections, it will delete them, but, if they have been synced to the server, it will set the status of the collection to delete from the server at the next sync. If you never sync again, the collections will come back after a factory reset or when setting up a new device.

If the things aren't working this way, I probably need to look at the database on the device to see why the collection isn't being deleted. The calibre debug logs might tell me, but, I suspect it won't show what book is actually blocking the delete.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:43 AM   #12
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
<snip>

If the things aren't working this way, I probably need to look at the database on the device to see why the collection isn't being deleted. The calibre debug logs might tell me, but, I suspect it won't show what book is actually blocking the delete.
Hi David,

Would you be able to look at it for me please?

If so, how do I go about it?

(I've also got the debug log if it's better to look at that first).

Steve

Last edited by Chocky; 11-01-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi David,

Would you be able to look at it for me please?

If so, how do I go about it?

(I've also got the debug log if it's better to look at that first).
I can look at it. Upload the database and log somewhere and PM the link. I'll look at it over the weekend.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I've looked at the log, and, you haven't done the configuration properly. The log has the following line:

Code:
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= manual
That will mean that the metadata changes won't be done automatically when the device is connected. In the thread linked to above, there is a link to the Wiki page with instructions for configuring the collection management. This is https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections. You need to do the bit under "Configuring calibre's Metadata Management options". Setting the option to automatic works best. And, the last statement in that section is:
Quote:
If the option is set to Manual management, shelves will NEVER be removed.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:49 AM   #15
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've looked at the log, and, you haven't done the configuration properly. The log has the following line:

Code:
DEBUG:    0.0 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= manual
That will mean that the metadata changes won't be done automatically when the device is connected. In the thread linked to above, there is a link to the Wiki page with instructions for configuring the collection management. This is https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections. You need to do the bit under "Configuring calibre's Metadata Management options". Setting the option to automatic works best. And, the last statement in that section is:
Thank you very much, that sorted it.

Don't quite know how that happened because I've used Calibre for years and it's been OK until the new Clara HD