Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
e-book-boy
e-book-boy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (No touch)
SSH and USBNetworking

IM BACK! my problem with it being bricked had been solved. But now that i have gotten to a beginners intermediate, i wanted to try SSH and usbnetworking. I have kite installed and it works but when i follow the docs here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...USB_Networking
and i get stuck on :"Find the Local Area Connection # with small text "Unidentified Network, RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" I dont see that. if anyone could be so kind to help me and also give me some apps to download for kite that would be great.
e-book-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
mergen3107
Margins dominator
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW3 (5.9.7 JB); Kindle 4NT Black (4.1.3 JB)
You need to go to Network and Internet settings. Then go to Network and Adapter settings (at the bottom). Then on the left go to Change Adapter settings. There will be a few PCs, which represent individual connections. When you connect Kindle in USBnetwork mode, you’ll see the right one right away.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
e-book-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
You need to go to Network and Internet settings. Then go to Network and Adapter settings (at the bottom). Then on the left go to Change Adapter settings. There will be a few PCs, which represent individual connections. When you connect Kindle in USBnetwork mode, you’ll see the right one right away.
i only see 2 PCs but i have 3 and my kindle is not coming up. ALSO when i click usbnet on my home-screen it acts like its plugged but its not and if i put my kindle into sleep then wake it shows "if you want to use your kindle, plug it out of the usb. (kindle not charging)"

Last edited by e-book-boy; 10-27-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: minor stuff ;)
Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
mergen3107
Margins dominator
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What you see if you hit Status in he USBN menu?
Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
You're either using a very (very) old USBNet hack, or you mangled the config (if you're seeing the USBMS screen, the device isn't in USBNet mode), or you mangled the toggle.

Toggle via KUAL, it'll warn appropriately about what will and will not behave properly as far as doing it while the device is plugged in (generally, you'll want to toggle USBNet with the device unplugged).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
mergen3107
Margins dominator

USBN button works as toggle. So if you tap it once it will turn USBN on, if you hit again — off.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
e-book-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
What you see if you hit Status in he USBN menu?
what on earth is a USBN menu all i see is please plug your usb device out
Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read The Fine Manual.

(As well as any and all relevant READMEs inside the packages).
Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
e-book-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You're either using a very (very) old USBNet hack, or you mangled the config (if you're seeing the USBMS screen, the device isn't in USBNet mode), or you mangled the toggle.

Toggle via KUAL, it'll warn appropriately about what will and will not behave properly as far as doing it while the device is plugged in (generally, you'll want to toggle USBNet with the device unplugged).
im using the usbn hack from kite b/c KUAL seemed daunting
Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then you're on your own.

(It's as simple as that. I've posted various rants on the subject of supporting USBNet over the years, because I take a very specific stance on the subject (i.e., "Trash In, Trash Out"). If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be using it.).
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
e-book-boy

ok as im follow the info on the guidelines u gave me i see kual so do i have to uninstall kite to have it or what?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
mergen3107
Margins dominator

Just use KUAL.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Which requires MKK on FW < 5.x. I've just updated the sticky to make that clear, on top of the already prominent mention in KUAL's own doc.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
e-book-boy

ok so im doing it but it says that MRPI needs to be at the top, like literally? im confused and sorry for the troubles
Old 10-27-2019, 11:38 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The top-level folder, yeah. Also known as the root folder. i.e., E:\ or whatever.