Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
basati
basati began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which device works best with calibre

What would be in your opinion the ereader device more adapted to calibre. I have a kobo and doesn't recognize metadata, doesn't make collections, doesn't make series.

Greetings
Basati
basati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by basati View Post
What would be in your opinion the ereader device more adapted to calibre. I have a kobo and doesn't recognize metadata, doesn't make collections, doesn't make series.

Greetings
Basati
If it does not do that, you have setting wrong or are using the OS COPY to put the book onto the device.

Kobo's do need 2 connect cycles to update the metadata.
#1 Gets the book imported and listed
#2 the updates the listing with the metadata (it can't do this until it HAS been listed. That is the way the internal DB works)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
basati

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If it does not do that, you have setting wrong or are using the OS COPY to put the book onto the device.

#1 Gets the book imported and listed
#2 the updates the listing with the metadata (it can't do this until it HAS been listed. That is the way the internal DB works)
what I mean is that does not respect metadata does not create collections, it mixes everything when you upload books.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
basati

Quote:
I don't understand this, I have to plug into the usb and plug back in?

Quote:
#2 the updates the listing with the metadata it can't do this until it HAS been listed. That is the way the internal DB works)
Listings where in the kobo or in calibre?

Excuse me. I'm just a rookie at this.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
You connect the first time to send books.
you EJECT so the Kobo PROCESSES what you sent (watch the screen when you Eject) (and unplug so the computer detects the device has disconnected)
Once the Home screen shows, Plug it back in.
The Kobo driver in Calibre should send the metadata (I can use the Update Metadata item on the Kobo Utilities Icon to force this. REMEMBER, this only works on the Later connections.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
what I mean is that does not respect metadata does not create collections, it mixes everything when you upload books.
The information needed for series information, etc. are stored in the database. When you send the ebook to the device, there is no database entry. After you send the ebook and eject the ereader, the new ebooks are imported, there is now a database entry and a place to store the information. This is why you need the two connections. The second connection can update the metadata -- you can set this to happen automatically or leave it as a manual trigger. Most of the time I use automatic. See attached image.

As for collections, you might want to check the Kobo Shelves and Collections Wiki entry.

Personally, the only collection I use is a Finished collection to keep track of books finished on multiple devices. Search handles the rest of my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_driver_tab3.png
Views:	16
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	174585  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-28-2019 at 05:24 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:

Greetings
Basati
In Preferences, go to Plugins and search for KoboTouch. Once found, click the Customize button. Then set it to match the screen grab. Tags is for collections where you are not specifying a series and series is for collections for a series.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Collections.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	174588

Also, you'll want to go back to Preferences and under Sending books to devices, set Metadata Management to Automatic. This way collections will be dealt with automaticalley.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:28 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Quote:
As the others have commented, the collection not being made is due to you not configuring the collection management properly. If it is, then the collections will be done each time you connect the device. @DNSB's link is the best explanation.

But, "doesn't recognize metadata" and "mixes everything" needs some explanation. The Kobo devices read the metadata from the books as they are imported. As far as I can see, they actually read more metadata than any other device. This includes the title, author and comments/synopsis. Some, such as series, is not read from the book, but the driver can update it later. The driver can also make changes if the calibre library is updated.

When you send the book to the device, Calibre will update the metadata in the book. If you manually put the book on the device by copying it out of the calibre library folders, this is not done. The metadata will be what was in the book when it was added to the library, unless you did an update to the book by other methods.

So, what is actually happening? What is wrong with the metadata? Or, is it related to the format you are sending to the device? Some formats, such as CBR and CBZ, do not contain the metadata, and will use the filename for the title.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote