Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #46
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Quote:
"What’s confounding, though, is that the whole “Asians are bad drivers” stereotype clashes with another beloved Internet meme: that Asians are good at all the “hard” things, especially things that include math, technology or coordination."
I interface many peoples. Asians are near top of pyramid I think.

"family guy" is crap!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
"family guy" is crap!
...but not Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...but not Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
Be careful. You need to tone down your language!

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #49
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I interface many peoples. Asians are near top of pyramid I think.
The point of the article isn't that one stereotype is preferable to another but rather that stereotyping at all means ignoring individuality.

The Racialicious site was started by Carmen Sognonvi (formerly Carmen Van-Kerckhove) for the purpose of analyzing depictions of race in pop culture -- not necessarily to complain about them (except where necessary) but to comment on them and foreground the complexities.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #50
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
The point of the article isn't that one stereotype is preferable to another but rather that stereotyping at all means ignoring individuality.

The Racialicious site was started by Carmen Sognonvi (formerly Carmen Van-Kerckhove) for the purpose of analyzing depictions of race in pop culture -- not necessarily to complain about them (except where necessary) but to comment on them and foreground the complexities.
understand
always outliers but also tendencies logical expectations
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I very much appreciate your reasonable tone but disagree with the idea that anecdotal/inductive evidence is nonprejudicial. "Many Apple users are moronic fanboys" = "many Asians are terrible drivers."

It doesn't matter how many members of a subset of people you happen to know personally. The idea is not to generalize -- especially when your tone is rational and you can make your point just as well without resorting to reductive characterizations.

I hope that didn't sound too preachy.
I know all that. I meant that literally, exactly as stated: of all the Apple users I know, he is not an exception in thinking like that. Also, he is not an exception when compared to posts of many people I read online.

He actually isn't an exception compared to people I randomly meet. When working somewhere using my DELL notebook, I have had it happen more than once for a complete stranger to walk up to me and asking me why I use a Dell, when for the same money, I could have had a MacBook Pro.

I've never had anyone else but an Apple user ask me that, let alone a complete stranger. Many of them seem to feel the need to go out preaching and spread the word of Apple. Those people are like the priests you see in some old movies, who *HAVE* to mention God in every sentence they speak. (If you do such things, I'll instantly not like you. Beware.)

Obviously, I also know enough Apple users that aren't like that. I never said that *all* Apple users are, but it cannot be denied that a significant portion of the userbase is. Stereotypes normally don't just appear out of thin air.

On one Dutch technology/computer forum, there's actually a thread: "Show your Apple Computer". People show off their desk with their Apple stuff on it. (They don't seem to see that it's all exactly the same stuff over and over again except for the desk.) Why can't that thread be merged with the "Show your computer workplace"-thread? No, all hell would break loose in the Apple subforum if that happened.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote