Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Storming the JTAG walls

iRex has officially said NO to providing JTAG support.

That also means waiting for them to finish their "grail quest" to implement a re-flash via a media card. They feel they have that well in hand even though most teams get that working in a couple days: not several months...

I suspect part of the slow down is that they're encrypting/signing it as well to avoid the Sony Reader embarrassment of providing us with a custom code re-flash tool.

If we want real debugger support for things like the ipdf crash we are going to at some point need to hook up JTAG debuggers. Someone mentioned seeing an extra connector when they cracked open their iLiad.

If someone is game to trace that connector's connections, there are economical JTAG PC interfaces available that could exploit that connector (if it is indeed the JTAG port.)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well...that was unexpected...just as as I was starting to believe in their goodwill again...

Maybe what Angel once told me is the reason for all this mess...the Boss at iRex is an old-fashioned guy...and he won't let his employees disclose anything without a big fight...which in this case they lost...pity really...

So I guess you'll just have to continue with your hacking then?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
iRex has officially said NO to providing JTAG support.
Sniff.

Quote:
I suspect part of the slow down is that they're encrypting/signing it as well to avoid the Sony Reader embarrassment of providing us with a custom code re-flash tool.
I think I missed this one. What happened with the Sony Reader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I think I missed this one. What happened with the Sony Reader?
This, I guess.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
This, I guess.
Ahh but I wouldn't call it an embarrassment... quite happy actually that you made it, igorsk

But Scotty perhaps meant that this was an embarrassment for Sony to happen. Well, I am sure some of them are happy to see that people care enough about the device to tinkle with its system.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hmm, really sad news. But some clever person will find a way. Right scotty ?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
If we want real debugger support for things like the ipdf crash we are going to at some point need to hook up JTAG debuggers.
Did you publish the diff for this...? Perhaps if someone else can take a look at it then we can figure out the problem...? Many eye-balls make good code...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
the Boss at iRex is an old-fashioned guy
Well, as much as I like this device - there will be other linux based devices with this great screen within the next two years...
This company is not Microsoft and it's not Sony so they'll need all the sales they can make.
We'll see whether they go on dreaming of getting some great DRM-B2B sales until they have to shut down or if they get a clue earlier and open up their device to all those who want to buy and use it.

And then there's still the GPL, this could hurt much. I talked to some people and am still considering to ask for the (complete) sources formally in January. If they make money on somebody elses work they have to obey certain rules.

Too bad that there are always some anal people who (tend to) ruin it for all.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
Well, as much as I like this device - there will be other linux based devices with this great screen within the next two years...
So do you have access to the patent agreements of e-ink?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Someone mentioned seeing an extra connector when they cracked open their iLiad.

If someone is game to trace that connector's connections, there are economical JTAG PC interfaces available that could exploit that connector (if it is indeed the JTAG port.)
Has JTAG got some physical standards of connectivity? The extra connector in the board is just one of these for flat conductive plastic as the ones to attach extra boards. It is about 22 pins.

Last edited by arivero; 11-23-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
So do you have access to the patent agreements of e-ink?
Phillips is owner of the patent and though iRex is a Phillips spin-off I doubt that iRex will be the only company Phillips is willing to sell displays to.

At the very moment we have Hanlin, iRex, Sony and soon Hitachi building epaper devices. There will be more companys soon. The iLiad's Hardware is not very exotic, there's only the great display and then the wacom tablet.

iRex' iLiad could become the omnipresent WRT54G among ebook-devices if they let people adapt the device to their needs. But I think that the timeframe for this to happen is not bigger than maybe another year.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
Phillips is owner of the patent and though iRex is a Phillips spin-off I doubt that iRex will be the only company Phillips is willing to sell displays to.

At the very moment we have Hanlin, iRex, Sony and soon Hitachi building epaper devices. There will be more companys soon. The iLiad's Hardware is not very exotic, there's only the great display and then the wacom tablet.

iRex' iLiad could become the omnipresent WRT54G among ebook-devices if they let people adapt the device to their needs. But I think that the timeframe for this to happen is not bigger than maybe another year.
Unfortunately the iLiad's resemblance with WRT54G is minimal:

First of all WRT54G is a VERY CHEAP device that can be made into a very powerful router/firewall etc.(iLiad is everything BUt cheap)

Secondly Linksys seems not to mind people messing with the device (something iRex seems to have a problem about)

Thirdly the WRT54G is omnipresent because it is CHEAP (imo thats the most important reason) and a LOT of people have laptops and multiple computers;

I do hope that the iLiad will be the next WRTG54, but i doubt it.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
k2r
Zealot

Getting more and more OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Unfortunately the iLiad's resemblance with WRT54G is minimal:
I meant: the WRT54G is Linux based and has been modified without Dlink's support but even without Dlink getting in the way. This makes big sales for them.
(Being 10% of an iLiad's price helps, too, I agree. But it's not the cheapest device on the block!)
Old 11-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
Phillips is owner of the patent .
Not exactly. Phillips has rights to the patent from e-ink.com and we do not know the terms of the agreement. From the continental distribution of the devices I would guess that they involve some "territorial exclusivity". But we can not guess for how many years.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #15
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
I meant: the WRT54G is Linux based and has been modified without Dlink's support but even without Dlink getting in the way. This makes big sales for them.
(Being 10% of an iLiad's price helps, too, I agree. But it's not the cheapest device on the block!)
iRex helped a bit with the modifications as they opened some doors, but still they havent opened the device wide open; Seems that Linksys knew when them not interfering was actually good for them! The cheapest device on the block isnt even half as decent as the WRT54G. It is a good robust product thats why so many people use it;
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote