Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
drjww
drjww began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
MS Office on Max2

I have been using the Max2 for about a week now in a professional context, and thought it might be good to start a thread about using MS Office for Android on the Max2 since so many professionals depend upon this software for their work. I know that there have been sporadic coments in the Max2 Issues thread, as well as a couple of comments on OneNote in other threads, but I haven't seen anyone address MS Word in any detail, or the Office suite as a whole. I figured it might help to collect that feedback in one thread, so we can begin sorting out what works and what doesn't, as well as which issues are MS issues, which are Android issues, and which are Max2 issues.

So far, I have been able to use Word and OneNote. Logging in, opening, saving, and syncing documents all works fine. If you need to log in with a work account, you should log in a personal account first to avoid a known login bug with OneNote for Android. Note that MS Office will borrow your login credentials from one program to another, so if you anticipate needing to use OneNote with a work account, make sure you log into a personal account first in other MS Office programs.

Composing:
-Composing works fine with the Max2 on screen keyboard.
-Composing with a bluetooth keyboard has some issues if you use the left arrow key or the delete key to go back [Edit: I did some more testing and it turns out it is just an issue with the delete key], it will lock you out of typing until you hit the right arrow key--this is not an issue in other programs). I am using the Plugable full size foldable keyboard.
-One thing that is nice about the Max2 is that you can prop it up in portrait mode (the stand that comes with the Plugable folding keyboard works well for this), and type vertically on a full sized page.

Drawing:
-OneNote correctly recognizes the Wacom stylus (tapping on the screen with the stylus puts you in drawing mode).
-OneNote correctly restricts input in drawing mode (once in drawing mode, OneNote will not draw with capacitative touch).
-However, even though OneNote will not draw with capacitative touch, it still registers capacitative touch, and will not draw with the stylus if any part of your hand is on the screen.
-As others have noted, there is a delay when drawing.

Scrolling:
-Touch scrolling does not work in either program. This is the most difficult limitation. Does anyone have a sense of why this is?
-Scrolling with hardware buttons (or with arrow keys on a physical keyboard) works when you are in compose mode with the cursor flashing (*not* when you are in draw mode in OneNote).

Last edited by drjww; 02-19-2018 at 09:55 PM.
drjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
drjww
drjww began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
I did some more testing:

1. The backspace bug appears to have something to do with autocorrect--an incompatibility of autocorrect on the virtual keyboard with the use of a physical keyboard. Turning it off reduced the instances of the bug.

2. Another workaround for productivity is to turn on dictation:

1. Install the Google App
2. Perform one voice search
3. Give it permission to record
4. Go into the language settings and turn on Google Voice Typing as a keyboard
5. You'll now have a microphoine button on your virtual keyboard for dictation. Works great on the Max2.
drjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert