Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
AnthonySanders
AnthonySanders began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Maxx
Example annotated pdf

I’m very interested in double checking the compatibility of annotations, highlighting and sketches done on the Boox Max. I’ve had a couple of onyx’s previous devices and had the problem that the annotated pdf was not fully compatible with pdf readers on windows or Mac. Either the annotation text wasn’t accessible or the highlighting couldn’t be deleted. It seemed to me that the annotations were not saved corecctly in the pdf as “annotations”
If anyone could upload an example of an annotated pdf I would really appreciate it. Then I can check it out.
Cheers,
Anthony
AnthonySanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
Example.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from [Upstream Elementary A2 SB-Exported].pdf (247.1 KB, 548 views)
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
For reference, I tried opening / importing the example with a variety of programs (e.g. GIMP, Xournal, Inkscape, etc.), and some didn't display the annotations, while others seem to "merge" the annotations so they were not editable.

I tried the script at:

and it at least gives numerous lines of the form:

Quote:
page: 1, D:20180202204930+03'00', type: poly-line , content: None
Also, it summarized by saying it found 152 annotations.

So I'd guess there are PDF annotations of some sort contained in the PDF.

May be somebody with Windows (or some other relevant OS) and appropriate applications could test whether they are editable.

Last edited by sogaiu; 02-22-2018 at 06:31 PM.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Acrobat on Windows 7

F.Y.R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223 10-10-08.png
Views:	427
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	162462  
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Thanks!

For reference, further tests here showed that okular is able to delete as well as move these annotations (at least at the individual stroke level). Perhaps it's not too likely that folks will be using okular on Windows or macos, but FWIW
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
sogaiu
Addict

On a whim, I tried creating some annotations on a Max 2.

What I learned was:

1. To get at a version of the PDF with the annotations, open a PDF file in Neo Reader 2, annotate it, and save by: Menu key -> Notes -> Export (and fill in dialog appropriately)

2. okular seems to handle editing some but not all annotation types -- specifically, it didn't seem to work with the lines, though it handled the free-hand (scribble?), oval, and rectangle types.

Last edited by sogaiu; 02-22-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
fcs12
fcs12 began at the beginning.

Device: Max 2
M_Faust, how did you handwrite in red in the PDF annotation? I thought the only colour available in Max 2's native NeoReader 2.0 is black?
fcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
M_Faust
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcs12 View Post
M_Faust, how did you handwrite in red in the PDF annotation? I thought the only colour available in Max 2's native NeoReader 2.0 is black?
You can choose color of notes when exporting them.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
AnthonySanders
AnthonySanders began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Maxx
thanks everyone for the buzz of replies. The attached pdf confirms initially my suspicion that at least hand written annotations are merged for pdf editors like Previewer on the Mac. However, Goodreader on iOS seems to be recognising it.
I would be really grateful if someone could try uploading an original pdf document which includes highlighted text, and also the "speech bubble" annotation with some text written in it. I do a lot of technical reading and the ability to find these types of annotations are really important.
Thanks again for the help!
Anthony
AnthonySanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #10
M_Faust
Zealot

Example
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example.zip (438.1 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by M_Faust; 03-19-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
Example
Hello,

For 'Neoreader2', I can see annotated passages (yellow) and the some text in the bubble for 'Approximations', and in the text file 'Example'.

For 'OnyxReader' in the PDF I can't see something attached to 'accurate', but the text file show 'Note: Example'. Have you put the good PDF in you ZIP file ?

I use Linux and 'evince'.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
M_Faust
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

For 'Neoreader2', I can see annotated passages (yellow) and the some text in the bubble for 'Approximations', and in the text file 'Example'.

For 'OnyxReader' in the PDF I can't see something attached to 'accurate', but the text file show 'Note: Example'. Have you put the good PDF in you ZIP file ?

I use Linux and 'evince'.
And there is. OnyxReader don't export "speech buble" in pdf document.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
And there is. OnyxReader don't export "speech buble" in pdf document.
OK, good to know it. Thanks.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
daaronr
daaronr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
On a whim, I tried creating some annotations on a Max 2.

What I learned was:

1. To get at a version of the PDF with the annotations, open a PDF file in Neo Reader 2, annotate it, and save by: Menu key -> Notes -> Export (and fill in dialog appropriately)
When I do this and view it on my Mac (in either Preview or the 'Skim' reader) I see the scribbles and highlights but the annotations (the 'text' ones) disappear.

Any suggestions?
daaronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
daaronr
daaronr began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
OK, this seems to depend on the reader. Neither of these readers let me see the annotations; however, 'Foxit' does show them.
daaronr is offline   Reply With Quote