Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #46
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hadrien, I can't see any benefit in being able to synch our feeds from Feedbooks using iDS... am I missing something?

I find it very easy to download my Feedbooks feeds and books via iNewsStand. I can choose which feeds to download each time - I doubt I could do that through iDS - I expect it would be all or nothing each time. iNewsStand is easy to load and use.

I love it that I can choose a classic book and download it quickly, wirelessly, free, beautifully formatted, to my iLiad. Thank you!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #47
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hadrien, I can't see any benefit in being able to synch our feeds from Feedbooks using iDS... am I missing something?

I find it very easy to download my Feedbooks feeds and books via iNewsStand. I can choose which feeds to download each time - I doubt I could do that through iDS - I expect it would be all or nothing each time. iNewsStand is easy to load and use.

I love it that I can choose a classic book and download it quickly, wirelessly, free, beautifully formatted, to my iLiad. Thank you!
A few people on this forum created scripts that are executed at the same time than iDS. Since you can ask iDS to auto-launch at a certain time, this would be an easy way to auto-sync your feeds every morning. You wouldn't have to launch the application: your feeds would be ready for you.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #48
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Fast as lightning reply!

I hadn't thought of the auto-launch as I don't use it. I can see why some people would prefer to use that for feeds.

All the same, I prefer to choose which feeds to synch at the time
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #49
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
A few people on this forum created scripts that are executed at the same time than iDS. Since you can ask iDS to auto-launch at a certain time, this would be an easy way to auto-sync your feeds every morning. You wouldn't have to launch the application: your feeds would be ready for you.
Would this also mean that us mac users could have an alternative to iNewsStand ? I have tried both the iLiad companion software and iNewsStand on my intel mac via vware and xp but have no success with either of them as my iLiad is unrecognised by xp. Not sure why atm. It works fine in osx via samba.

I'd much prefer a way to sync feedbook feeds without getting my hands dirty with any form of windows in any case. I may have come in late in the day but would the scripts people may be working on or proposed support from yourselves enable me to do this ?

Thanks.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #50
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

With iNewsStand, the downloads are directly on the device already. The scripts would act the same way: no desktop necessary.
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #51
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Using SD card instead of CF card for iNewsStand

Dear Hadrien,

Thank you very much for working so diligently on such great software and web site...
I have not been really able to fully enjoy the iNewsStand in the past as I am using using a CF card for all my ebooks and other nice 3rd party applications. I have learned that because of the conflict between the wireless and the CF card, it was pretty much impossible to download Newspapers (which I guess is due to to the substantive time needed to produce theses newspapers) while downloading books from feedboks.com work wonderfully...

I am planning to add a 1 or 2 GB SD card, to be able to install the only iNnewStand application and somehow get around the CF issue. To this matter I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible to do that without confusing the iliad?
2. Is it possible to specify the final output folder
3. What could be the consequences using both the CF card and the SD card...battery drain and other???
4. Any other "traps" to avoid??
5. To avoid messing things up, may I request from you a step by step process?

By anticipation, Thanks a million for your consideration.

Dabon.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #52
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The iLiad only supports 1GB MMC Compatible Cards.

Why don't you install iNewsStand on the internal memory? It's a very small application.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #53
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Concerning the output folder: we use the configuration of the iLiad. If you map your newspaper folder to another one, it'll be downloaded in this new folder.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #54
Dabon
Connoisseur

Dear Adam B. and Hadrien,

Thank you very much for your responses and suggestion.

To Adam B.:
A few reasons why, I did not use my internal memory:
1. It is not really about the size of the applications, but rather to the fact that I have read a lot of comment in this forum, stating that one should refrain to install applications on their internal memory, as much as possible because of the potential of harm to the iliad...I like my iliad so much that i do not want to take any risk...
2. If ever Irex decide to upgrade their iliad with a new version of software 2.13 (what I do not wish as i like my ilaid like it is already...); that would ultimately wipe out every 3rd party applications from my internal memory...

To Hadrien:
If I understand clearly, the application will use the internal memory newspaper folder. In that case, it should be ok then.

Thanks,

Dabon.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #55
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm sorry, when I say "Internal Memory", I mean in one of the "News, Books, Docs, or Notes" directories. There's no harm in putting the iNewsStand application there because it does not modify the operating system of the iLiad.

Also, it will still be there after a software update.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #56
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Putting the application in the book or news folder would make a lot of sense (I'll let the user decide if they use iNewsStand for books or for news more often).
The default location for news is indeed the internal memory but you could change it in the XML configuration file.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #57
Dabon
Connoisseur

Thank you again for some very informative responses.
I will install the application within the iliad newspaper folder, and see how it goes...If I ran out of space I can always use emlfFM2 to transfer files on the CF card...

Thank you again.

Take good care,

Dabon.

P.S. To Adam: While I have your attention here, may I request that you take a look at the KeePassX application that I have tried unsuccessfully numerous time with my CF card??
I have written a post in the appropriate thread, but have not gotten any response yet.
Thanks a million by anticipation.

Last edited by Dabon; 08-15-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #58
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
Quote:
With iNewsStand, the downloads are directly on the device already. The scripts would act the same way: no desktop necessary.
yey ! Bring on the scripts !

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #59
bilbo
bilbo began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad second edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabon View Post
Thank you again for some very informative responses.
I will install the application within the iliad newspaper folder, and see how it goes...If I ran out of space I can always use emlfFM2 to transfer files on the CF card...

Thank you again.

Take good care,

Dabon.

P.S. To Adam: While I have your attention here, may I request that you take a look at the KeePassX application that I have tried unsuccessfully numerous time with my CF card??
I have written a post in the appropriate thread, but have not gotten any response yet.
Thanks a million by anticipation.
Hi. I am brand new to this forum and the Iliad Second edition. I can't see how to install Newsstand on the Iliad - can anyone help please?
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #60
PeteDowson
PeteDowson began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Edition 2.12 firmware
Quote:
The RSS part is completely different now: it's much faster, support a lot more feeds and there's even a Mobipocket or ePub output. I use it myself every morning and it only takes a few seconds to generate and download all my feeds.
Hi. I got my Iliad this week, ready to take on holiday with me, and I've installed all the books I want, but I would also like a News feed (the BBC one ideally) whilst I'm away, when I can get near a wireless access point.

I've registered with Feedbooks, and subscribed to the BBC news feed. I've downloaded and installed your iNewsStand, and entered the details. When I run it (it is installed in my internal memory, and I have the News set to go there too -- all my books are on CF and all my DOocs are on MMC).

I can run iNewsStand okay, and it says I'm logged in and have "Iliad PDF" format setting. When I select the BBC news feed (the only one listed at present) and click "Sync!" the green LED lights for a few seconds, but the "wireless icon" bottom right never reverses. If I view the Downloads tab it says my BBC feed is "downloading 0%" for a longish time, until I exit and come back, or select "Refresh", when is says "Downloaded".

However, I can never actually find it. If it has downloaded to my Iliad it certainly isn't anywhere recognisable, and I've been through the contentslister in the main menu for internal memory, CF and MMC.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. If you could possibly advise I'd be very grateful. Problem is I'm departing on holiday tomorrow afternoon (Thursday 18th, UK time) so I don't suppose it'll be resolved in time.

Should I try a different format? Iliad PDF seemed to be default for Iliad, but mayne, now you say Mobi and ePub are supported I should try one of those?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete Dowson
PeteDowson is offline   Reply With Quote