Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Best plan of action as a Canadian

Hi, I'm ready to purchase an Amazon Kindle anytime now.

Knowing what you now know about Kindle and how it works, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I am overly optimistic.

Here are what i'll do when i get my kindle (Tell me if anything will interrupt my plan):

1. Open it up & hook it up to my computer
2. Convert lit --> mobi
3. Transfer to kindle
4. Enjoy my Novels while being able to check oxford dictionary
5. Canada Amazon available after a few months
6. I use the US Kindle that I have to log into my Canadian Amazon account to purchase books.

The whole process doesn't really need a US Credit Card, so perhaps I "bypassed" the whole US restriction deal?

Last edited by spirits; 02-12-2008 at 03:24 AM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, spirits!

That plan sounds workable for as far as it goes. I'm not sure you can get them to sell you an actual Kindle in Canada yet, but if you can figure that part out, you'll probably be in good shape.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The unknown part is whether a US Kindle will be transferable to Canada Amazon. If not, then you won't be able to purchase Kindle e-books from Canada Amazon.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the response guys.

Doesn't look like I'm missing out at all. Perhaps other than no Wikipedia usage at this point in time. I'll just get lit formatted ebooks and have it transfer to kindle. As for whether Canada will be using the same technology to access the net... i'll have to take that into consideration. But I don't think the Canadian population is large enough to have Amazon reassemble a different technology into the Kindle.

Anyways, today I found someone who is selling it at Amazon price + $25 shipping. Looking forward to it
Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Do you guys have both GSM and CDMA providers like we do here in the US? If so, then the wireless chipset might change depending on who they partner with. It's not usually a difficult change to make in the scheme of things. It may be simpler for them to partner with another CDMA provider but if they get a better deal with someone else, the expense of making this change will likely be worth it to them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
spirits
Connoisseur

I'm not sure. I just know Rogers is the only company with 3G technology.

Since I don't have internet access to Wikipedia, it makes me wonder if installing Wikipedia into the Kindle is possible one day. They can already do it for iphone and ipod.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you have internet access to Wikipedia?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
spirits
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why don't you have internet access to Wikipedia?
Cause I'm stuck here in Canada.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits View Post
Cause I'm stuck here in Canada.
I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but you've entirely lost me. I can access Wikipedia via the internet here in the UK. Why can't you access it from Canada? Does the Canadian government block access to it, or something?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #10
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Wikipedia is alive and well in Canada...
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The title of this thread is a straight line just begging for a sarcastic response... my wits fail me. Who oh who can possibly step up to the challenge?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but you've entirely lost me. I can access Wikipedia via the internet here in the UK. Why can't you access it from Canada? Does the Canadian government block access to it, or something?
He means he can't access Wikipiedia from the Knidle because he doens't have Whispernet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
spirits
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The title of this thread is a straight line just begging for a sarcastic response... my wits fail me. Who oh who can possibly step up to the challenge?
Are you suggesting I move to the US? "Best plan of action as a Canadian"?

And yes, Kindle can log into Wikipedia, which made kindle all the more attractive. But i think you don't check words in Wikipedia like how you do with the dictionary function. It's a separate service where you had to log out of our ebook first and then log into wikipedia. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He means he can't access Wikipiedia from the Knidle because he doens't have Whispernet.
OK, but just how "vital" a feature is that? Has it been a factor in anyone's decision to buy or not buy a Kindle? Anyone? These days one is rarely far away from other forms of internet access pretty much anywhere.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
spirits
Connoisseur

Quote:
OK, but just how "vital" a feature is that? Has it been a factor in anyone's decision to buy or not buy a Kindle? Anyone? These days one is rarely far away from other forms of internet access pretty much anywhere.
It's a plus to have it though. Especially if it ever gets incorporated like how they did with the dictionary.

Sometimes I'd bring my laptop just to use wikipedia (I'm a student still). When whispernet becomes available in Canada, I can see times when I don't need to bring my laptop. It's always a plus to have an extra feature.