Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #76
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am pretty sure Amazon staggers the new releases (typical way of avoiding being hit up by millions of people all at once). So I assumed there was an Amazon-end component somewhere there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #77
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I'm running 5.6.1.1 on a PW1 and this trick makes the Font Settings screen unclosable.
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #78
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is a very odd side effect to be having.

The registration file is exactly what they Kindle expects to see.
And the iptables rules, well, I cannot imagine how they would force the font settings screen to show up.

Personally, I've never seen the need for this hack.
If you want collections that badly and you're already jailbroken, you are probably using the Kindle Collections plugin and Collections Manager kindlet.
Which ignore the not-logged-in restriction.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is a very odd side effect to be having.

The registration file is exactly what they Kindle expects to see.
And the iptables rules, well, I cannot imagine how they would force the font settings screen to show up.
- - - - -
Agreed.
I just re-read this thing and I don't see how the iptables rules could effect the font settings GUI.

Hmm....
"Can't close the Font settings panel" ...

Now there is a far-out firmware change that might cause that . . . .
If the firmware is trying to keep the font settings in the
Code:
/var/local/java/prefs/reginfofile.
Since the "i" flag has been added to the file, the firmware can't change it and that might keep the panel from closing.

So try removing that flag and see if it fixes your problem.
That is, try this command:
Code:
chattr -i /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
And then see if your font settings panel will close.

If it does, post what the new contents of the reginfo file needs to be (xxx out your personal information).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #80
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Now there is a far-out firmware change that might cause that . . . .
If the firmware is trying to keep the font settings in the
Code:
/var/local/java/prefs/reginfofile.
You're right, that is pretty far out!

P.S. Misaligned code tags.
Advert
Old 11-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just thought of something, not so far out . . . .
if that chattr command was typo'd to apply the 'i' flag to the directory rather than to a single file in the directory . . . . .

@bel3atar: Check what you actually typed when you entered that command.
or, better yet, do a lsattr on all the files:
Code:
lsattr /var/local/*/*/*
only the reginfo file should list anything set.

A typo'd command is much easier to believe than a strange firmware change.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:06 AM   #82
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I had to connect my PW1 and let it sync for a while after upgrading to 5.6.1 to 'magically' fix a bunch of very weird crap happening all around the place. This was one of the symptoms I experienced. So, tough luck?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:50 AM   #83
bel3atar
Connoisseur

chattr -i doesn't fix this
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #84
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
chattr -i doesn't fix this
Then remove the fake 'reginfo' file, see if that clears the problem.
Give it time to sort itself out.

You don't have to protect against OTA updates (yet), your now running the most recent firmware version.

You may have to register the device temporarily to allow it to sort itself out, as NiLuJe points out.
Your Amazon account should have a page that allows you to register a device not purchased directly from Amazon.

Last edited by knc1; 11-20-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #85
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Then remove the fake 'reginfo' file, see if that clears the problem.
Give it time to sort itself out.

You don't have to protect against OTA updates (yet), your now running the most recent firmware version.

You may have to register the device temporarily to allow it to sort itself out, as NiLuJe points out.
Your Amazon account should have a page that allows you to register a device not purchased directly from Amazon.
I have a blacklisted device.
Removing reginfo fixes the issue.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #86
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have a blacklisted device.
Removing reginfo fixes the issue.
Now all we have to do is figure out **why**
(I am not running 5.6.1.1 on any of my PW-1 devices, so I can't just look for you.)

Are there any clues in the log files?
Enter:
Home -> Search -> ;dm into the search bar
The semi-colon is part of the dump message (dm) command.
That will create four new text documents with the system log files in them.

Last edited by knc1; 11-20-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #87
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Now all we have to do is figure out **why**
(I am not running 5.6.1.1 on any of my PW-1 devices, so I can't just look for you.)

Are there any clues in the log files?
Enter:
Home -> Search -> ;dm into the search bar
The semi-colon is part of the dump message (dm) command.
That will create four new text documents with the system log files in them.
I get this when I try to close the Display Setting window.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I get this when I try to close the Display Setting window.
It looks a lot more like a firmware error, rather than an intentional feature.

What did the lsattr command on the /var/local/*/*/* tree show?
Are we certain that the reginfo file is the only one with any extended attribute set?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #89
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Quote:
It looks a lot more like a firmware error, rather than an intentional feature.

What did the lsattr command on the /var/local/*/*/* tree show?
Are we certain that the reginfo file is the only one with any extended attribute set?
I ran
Code:
chattr +i /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
It doesn't matter if the file has the i flag or not. The problem is the same in both cases.
When reginfo is deleted everything works normally.

EDIT: here's the output of lsattr.

Last edited by bel3atar; 11-20-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I ran
Code:
chattr +i /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo
It doesn't matter if the file has the i flag or not. The problem is the same in both cases.
When reginfo is deleted everything works normally.
That should be "-i" to remove and "+i" to set.

Since the error dump doesn't name the file it is trying to access, I would like to be sure there isn't any other file with an extended attribute set.

= = = =

With nothing else having an extended attribute set and without the "immutable" flag set I would expect the problem to go away.

One other possible problem -
That permission setting allowing only 'root' to change the contents of the file (chmod 444 and chown root:root).

The error dump says that it is cvm (the hardware assisted, Java VM) that is having the problem, and that **might** be running as the user 'framework' rather than as 'root'.

So if you would help with these additional details, we might be able to figure out how to fake-register the series 5.6.x firmware.

Tags
collections, fake registration, hacks, paperwhite, registration