Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #31861
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Juries are not told abut this because Judges are afraid Juries will use it.

Yes you do have this in the UK

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/jury-nu...e-right-thing/
BTW: for what it's worth, do, actually, believe in jury nullification. It is within the power of the jury--which is the essential nexus, the fundamental tenet, of our system. Our faith and trust that "12 [wo]men, brave and true," (thank you, Dame Agatha) will come to the right verdict. If that means choosing a different path than "Thu Laaaw!," as written (thank you, Judge Dredd), then so be it.

There's not a d*mned thing wrong with jury nullification. And yes, in one of my many trips to the voir dire box, I answered a question and told the (defense) attorney that I did, an honest answer to a question, and sure 'nuff, the prosecutor exercised one of his prerogatives and I was outta there. In the circumstance, it was the right answer to the specific question.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-11-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Wanted to fix a sentence.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #31862
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K Keyboard, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
What is the period of eligibility in England? I never heard of such a thing in the US
Federal court removes you from the jury pool if you are 80 or older. For most states, if you are 70 or older, that's the only reason you need to have yourself removed from jury duty.

My late sister had jury duty last January. These days, instead of waiting at the court house, you call a number and they tell you whether you need to come in for selection or not. Once you are in the selection process, depending on your courthouse, you might not be able to use electronic devices - they may even take them from you and lock them up until you leave for the day. So, just be prepared to bring a paperback with you.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-11-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #31863
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
There's a famous UK case where the Jury acquitted despite the defendent being technically guilty of the the offence. Look up Clive Ponting for details.

And the Jury could still acquit today, despite the 1989 act.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #31864
Hemmi
Wizard
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I also have a Kindle Paperwhite & Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Device: Sony T1,T2,T3, 950,900,700,650,350, Nook HD,HD+, STGlowlight, KoboMini
I've never been called even though I've been registered to vote since I was 18 and have had a driver's license since I was 16.

Mom's had both regular jury duty twice and Grand Jury duty once. She's gotten to hear cases every time too.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #31865
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
I've been selected twice, once 20 or so years ago where we convicted for domestic violence, and once last year; I was selected as an alternate for "Unauthorized operation of a propelled vehicle" (car theft). I had to sit through the arguments, but then dismissed for deliberations. I don't know if they convicted or not, but I would have voted for acquittal.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness