Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Calibre on Linux under Wine

Anybody get Calibre to work on Linux under Wine?

I installed the windows version under wine. Everything seems to install fine. When I run the program, the gui comes up, but there is no text on the buttons or anything.

Just wondering if anybody else has had luck getting it to work.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
can I ask
why are you running it under wine??

what is wrong with the linux version
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The synaptic version is out of date.

I don't want to use the install script on the website, because then removing it becomes very difficult. (not that I would remove it, but you know sometimes you have to for whatever reason.)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
tulsa
Zealot

lol.. I just noticed your avatar.. good one!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Try the portable version from portableapps.com maybe the wine is missing a few files
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Calibre is one of those programs that if you use the official distro version the program will be sorely out of date and won't get any of the recent fixes and updates.

I always use the script and never had a problem. In fact, I notice that there's even an unistall options now:

animedude01@suzumaya:/opt/calibre$ ll /usr/bin/calibre*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre -> /opt/calibre/calibre
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-customize -> /opt/calibre/calibre-customize
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibredb -> /opt/calibre/calibredb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-debug -> /opt/calibre/calibre-debug
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-parallel -> /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-server -> /opt/calibre/calibre-server
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-smtp -> /opt/calibre/calibre-smtp
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 2456 2010-03-14 16:47 /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall
animedude01@suzumaya:/opt/calibre$

I'd highly recommend using the script and going with the most recent version. I think it will be a lot less hassle than trying to get it to run under Wine.

My $0.02.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can see which distributions keep relatively up to date version of calibre here

http://oswatershed.org/pkg/calibre

Basically, use gentoo or sabayon
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
tulsa
Zealot

oh, alright then. lol. I'll try the script again then.
I'll hit the Ubuntu forums and see if I can't con somebody into keeping the package updated.

Tags
calibre, ubuntu, wine