Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
pg111
Connoisseur
pg111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is a custom column for DRM status possible?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering whether it was possible to display DRM-status in the list of e-books.

Many thanks in advance for any clue.
pg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Quality Check plugin can check for DRM in ePubs. You could use that to find them and then decide how to handle them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If they're Kindle books, possibly the easiest way is to bulk convert them to another format. The ones with DRM won't convert. You can then tag those or mark them any other way you want. And you can bulk delete that other format, if you don't want to retain it.

Why would anyone want to keep DRMed books in their Calibre library, is a mystery to me. But hey, to each his own.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
pg111
Connoisseur

How spotting DRMed books in my calibre library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
[...]

Why would anyone want to keep DRMed books in their Calibre library, is a mystery to me. But hey, to each his own.
I'm realizing I should have been more specific about my requirement.

I definitely don't want to keep DRMed books in my calibre library. My goal is to spot and de-DRM each of them.

Actually I have a 1000+ eBooks which most were added to my own library BEFORE I discovered calibre. So one of my main tasks is identifiying DRMed books in that legacy bulk and de-DRM them.

So what is the best method for spotting those books easily and convenientely?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by pg111; 11-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg111 View Post
I'm realizing I should have been more specific about my requirement.

I definitely don't want to keep DRMed books in my calibre library. My goal is to spot and de-DRM them.

Actually I have a 1000+ eBooks which most were added to my own library BEFORE I discovered calibre. So one of my main tasks is identifiying DRMed books in that legacy bulk and de-DRM them.

So what is the best method for spotting those books easily and convenientely.

Many thanks in advance.
Maybe not the 'best'... But the Quality check Plugin . (there is a DRM test in there)

Then just TAG the results: Select All; Bulk metadata edit: add Tag: <tag name>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So what is the best method for spotting those books easily and convenientely.

Many thanks in advance.
As davidfor posted above, the Quality Check optional plugin can identify them, select all the books, run QC->Check EPUB structure->Check DRM, then Mark or Tag the books it finds, or add them to a Reading List.

The Quality Check and Reading List tools are optional plugins ==>> Index of plugins

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the explanation, not that you owed me any.

As for finding the books with DRM, it depends on which format they are. If they're all epubs, running the Quality Check plugin and checking for DRM is the quickest and easiest way. If they're Amazon books or several different formats, I'd mass convert them into a format you know for certain you don't have. Not all thousand books at once, but say in batches of 50. The books with DRM won't convert. Then do a search for books lacking the format you converted into. For example, not format:LIT if you converted to LIT. You should then see all the books that failed to convert. Tag or mark them in some way so you can find them later, then do the next batch.

After you're finished, you can bulk delete the format you used for converting. Just select all the books, right-click the remove icon and choose "Remove files of a specific format from selected books".
Old 11-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
As davidfor posted above, the Quality Check optional plugin can identify them, select all the books, run QC->Check EPUB structure->Check DRM, then Mark or Tag the books it finds, or add them to a Reading List.

The Quality Check and Reading List tools are optional plugins ==>> Index of plugins

BR
This method only works with epubs. Not with DRMed books from Amazon, I just tried.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
This method only works with epubs. Not with DRMed books from Amazon, I just tried.
Thanks for the advice and help.

Unfortunately I ashamedly have to confess that most of my DRMed books are from Amazing!

But thanks also to all of you that pointed me to Quality Check plug-in which may be useful for other purposes anyway.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation, not that you owed me any.
[...] If they're Amazon books or several different formats, I'd mass convert them into a format you know for certain you don't have. Not all thousand books at once, but say in batches of 50. The books with DRM won't convert. Then do a search for books lacking the format you converted into. For example, not format:LIT if you converted to LIT. You should then see all the books that failed to convert. Tag or mark them in some way so you can find them later, then do the next batch.

After you're finished, you can bulk delete the format you used for converting. Just select all the books, right-click the remove icon and choose "Remove files of a specific format from selected books".
How can I convert any DRMed book without first de-DRMing it?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How can I convert any DRMed book without first de-DRMing it?
You can't, that's the point. The conversion will fail for the books with DRM. That's just a quicker way to isolate them than to try to open them in Calibre one by one.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can't, that's the point. The conversion will fail for the books with DRM. That's just a quicker way to isolate them than to try to open them in Calibre one by one.
I see now. Thanks for the tip. I will make sure to use it.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I was just wondering whether it was possible to display DRM-status in the list of e-books.

Many thanks in advance for any clue.
I created one on my Calibre. very easy. same as others. check mark yes or no for drm.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #14
pg111
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I created one on my Calibre. very easy. same as others. check mark yes or no for drm.
Thanks but it does not meet with my question which was how can calibre automatically identify DRMed books in my library. It looks like it cannot.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Calibre doesn't automatically identify DRM books. They are in your library and you'll see if calibre can open them, but it's a manual task.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote