Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All Books Tab

Feature Request: I have quite a few virtual libraries, resulting in too many tabs to show all of them. I don't mind scrolling to the right to find the (less commonly used) virtual library tabs that I can't see. But I'd _really_ like to be able to then click back on the All books tab directly, without having to scroll back to make it visible. Any chance you could make that sticky? (I have no idea if the underlying library/toolset that implements that tabbed interface actually makes that even reasonably possible. Just hoping it does.)

Thanks!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Feature Request: I have quite a few virtual libraries, resulting in too many tabs to show all of them. I don't mind scrolling to the right to find the (less commonly used) virtual library tabs that I can't see. But I'd _really_ like to be able to then click back on the All books tab directly, without having to scroll back to make it visible. Any chance you could make that sticky? (I have no idea if the underlying library/toolset that implements that tabbed interface actually makes that even reasonably possible. Just hoping it does.)

Thanks!
Click on the Virtual Library button: Select None ((No VL is logically the same as ALL Books)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are Next and Previous VL keyboard shortcuts, they're in the Miscellaneous group. They operate as a ring, i.e. tap Next VL at last VL takes you to first VL (All Books) and vice-versa. I can't recall the default kb sequences.

You could left click the Virtual library button in the Search Bar and select None. There's no Shortcut/Accelerator key for that button and you can't tab to it

That said, a First VL (None) kb short would be nice.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
There is one (clear VL: ctrl-Esc), except it belongs to Windows , so it does not work on Calibre
Old 10-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is one (clear VL: ctrl-Esc), except it belongs to Windows , so it does not work on Calibre
Thanks: I've never known what that did - I just changed it to Ctrl+Alt+↑

Also didn't know Ctrl+Esc popped the Start Menu, I just tap the Windows key for that.

BR
Advert
Old 10-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks: I've never known what that did - I just changed it to Ctrl+Alt+↑

Also didn't know Ctrl+Esc popped the Start Menu, I just tap the Windows key for that.

BR
I Guessed! After seeing 'none', I tried to apply the same kind of logic
Old 10-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator

It's very useful. If I have Wind in the Willows selected in my Children's Books VL, then by going straight to All books with Ctrl+Alt+↑ that book remains current, which means I can hit Alt+A to see what else I have by Kenneth Grahame. Using the Previous/Next VL shortcut will probably 'lose' WitW as the 'current' book.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-26-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Click on the Virtual Library button: Select None ((No VL is logically the same as ALL Books)
Two clicks, one too many. but OK, still better than nothing. But not as useful as having the All Books button always available.

Quote:
There are Next and Previous VL keyboard shortcuts, they're in the Miscellaneous group. They operate as a ring, i.e. tap Next VL at last VL takes you to first VL (All Books) and vice-versa. I can't recall the default kb sequences.

You could left click the Virtual library button in the Search Bar and select None. There's no Shortcut/Accelerator key for that button and you can't tab to it

BR
For some reason, I almost never use keyboard shortcuts in Calibre, with a couple of exceptions. I suspect it's because they are so very non-standard for a Windows user that one just gets frustrated at what doesn't work.

Quote:
There's no point arguing with the OS (any OS), when it thinks it should own a particular action and/or keystroke. But it's easy enough to change the default to something that I can use.

I appreciate the suggestions for workarounds. Thanks. Doesn't change my wish, but does give me some alternatives.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
as far as I know, there is no easy way to have sticky tabs in qt
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
as far as I know, there is no easy way to have sticky tabs in qt
Somehow, I was afraid of that. Well, then I guess I'll just have to work around it.

Thanks, Kovid.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #11
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Could the calibre code associated with "clicking on the VL button and selecting none" be called from a user interface plugin? This would allow the action to be added as a single click icon and also allow a shortcut key.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:07 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah, it could. user interface plugins have full access to all of calibre, including the APIs to manipulate VL state.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
@CRussel: Looks like your requirement can be met as Kovid has confirmed that a UI plugin can indeed access the VL state.

You may need to ask in the Development forum for some pointers to the required API calls but the anatomy of UI plugins is well documented in calibre's online user manual.

Last edited by Agama; 11-04-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote