Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
mrm100
mrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW / Kobo Aura One (poss)
Kobo Aura One for pdf viewing

Hi,
I'm an academic and I want to view basic PDFs (text, no images) on an eReader (i.e. journal articles), and highlight and take notes on the highlights.
I can do all this with my current Kindle Paperwhite 1, but the screen is a little small.
I love the look of the Kobo Aura ONE, and the bigger screen is really attractive. However, I've heard terrible things about the software for PDFs.

I had 2 questions:
1) is it true that you can't highlight or annotate pdf docs on Kobo Aura One?
2) I have come across this Koreader software that you can install on it. I was wondering how well that worked, and whether I can highlight and take notes with that? It appears I can highlight pdfs, but still can't note them.

I might have to end up getting this new Kindle Oasis, but the screen is significantly smaller, and I read a lot in bed so would like the filtering of blue light feature that Kobo offer but Kindle do not.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
mrm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
I have no personal experience of the Kobo eReaders.

I have read PDFs on a Kindle K3 and found it usable (and better in Landscape.)

But why an eReader?

An Amazon or other tablet would be much the same cost, would allow the choice of several PDF reading client Apps for the best results AND give you colour and a larger screen (10" on the new Amazon Fire).

annotation and notes are said to be available but I have only used them on a PC.

Same for a 'blue light' filtered screen.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
mrm100
mrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW / Kobo Aura One (poss)
Thanks for this. I have an iPad; I just don't like reading for long periods of time (which I have to do for work) on LCD screens due to the eye strain, otherwise I'd just do all this on my computer.
Of course a tablet would be much more functional, but it's definitely some kind of ereader I think I need.
mrm100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlight text, kobo aura one, notes, pdf