Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #61
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I wasnt taking offence I was apologising!
Interesting, I apologize for the misunderstanding. This is what happens when folks carelessly throw around exclamation points.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #62
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
The main point is that there's no way this will be a long term solution and people need to adjust their expectations accordingly.
Yeah, I agree. This is why I didn't go down the rabbit hole of not accepting updates to the Kindle application. I can't imagine that fix lasting too long before it no longer works. But I suppose the 'download USB' workaround will eventually hit a brick wall too?
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #63
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, I agree. This is why I didn't go down the rabbit hole of not accepting updates to the Kindle application. I can't imagine that fix lasting too long before it no longer works. But I suppose the 'download USB' workaround will eventually hit a brick wall too?
Not as long as older Kindles are still supported, as they can't handle the new format. Of course Amazon could decide to offer those of us with older devices a free replacement provided we turn in the old units to get them off the hook. If they did this with a notice that the older devices would no longer be supported after a firm deadline this would probably work.

At that point there would be no alternative except to look to those who dealt with the prior formats to deal with the new one. I suspect we have enough time for this to be done before the wall goes up.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
That's where my two years is coming from. If it was just the app it would be much less. But they can't obsolete those devices so fast, maybe they will first phase out new content or something like that.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #65
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I thought I asked this but I can't see my post. Does the version prior to 1.17 (1.15? Can't remember the version number) still work?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #66
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I thought I asked this but I can't see my post. Does the version prior to 1.17 (1.15? Can't remember the version number) still work?
According to Amazon's Download & Install the Latest Version of Kindle for PC web page version 1.14.0 and later are currently still supported.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #67
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I see Woot is having a "Kindle Extravaganza." Sale on refurbished Kindle Keyboard, 4th gen Kindle, and Kindle Touch. All of these support KF8, but not KFX. They also have 2nd gen Kindle, but that doesn't support KF8.

Something to think about for continued access to non-KFX formats. I got a Kindle Touch in a previous sale. It's kinda beat up, but I won't really be reading on it anyway.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #68
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You can get old Kindles dirt-cheap on Goodwill if you're in the USA.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #69
bookmonster
bookmonster doesn't litterbookmonster doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I see Woot is having a "Kindle Extravaganza." Sale on refurbished Kindle Keyboard, 4th gen Kindle, and Kindle Touch. All of these support KF8, but not KFX. They also have 2nd gen Kindle, but that doesn't support KF8.

Something to think about for continued access to non-KFX formats. I got a Kindle Touch in a previous sale. It's kinda beat up, but I won't really be reading on it anyway.

I grabbed a refurbished Kindle Touch for $24.99!
bookmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #70
MRS_SOMERSET
MRS_SOMERSET has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MRS_SOMERSET has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MRS_SOMERSET has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MRS_SOMERSET has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Interesting, the person who decided to move the discussion off topic seemingly takes offense that they were somehow questioned about their "out of the scope" comment?

@ltr If Amazon does in fact track things to that level I think they will eventually find some customers buying fewer books through their service. Personally I bought more books through Amazon once I was able to format shift the books. Since the writing is on the wall I have already started shifting my purchases to other sellers.
I have also actually Increased the number of books I have bought from Amazon kindle since being able to use calibre to convert it.

I had given up buying books from amazon kindle after trying their audible free trial, and moved to other sources such as google play and the gutenberg free libriary to get content I could use.

Calibre has allowed me to use the kindle content, and therefore led me back to amazon to buy more from them. I feel Amazon are benefiting from companies like Calibre.

I do understand amazon is known in the business world for being nefarious ( staff working conditions in the warehouses for example), however with books becoming ever more an online thing, and big players like google and microsoft taking an interest in providing online book/ written media content, Kindle / Amazon need to be careful not to be more restrictive and go the way of blockbuster video, and perhaps it might behoove hem to provide content in multiple formats or if that takes up too much server space then an interface on their own site / servers that uses something like calibre, to allow content to be converted into other formats (initial publisher allowing) once purchased- and as publishers have no problem allowing google play to allow epub versions then I do not see why they would not offer the same to kindle / amazon.

anywho - ust very very happy that Calibre exists and that they have gone further in their support to help their customers that some multinational megacompanies can be bothered to - and really really am grateful to be able to access my books again.
MRS_SOMERSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #71
kmack59
kmack59 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Thanks guys for all of the ideas

Last edited by kmack59; 03-18-2017 at 02:00 AM.
kmack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:02 AM   #72
kmack59
kmack59 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
It worked! Thank you!
kmack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #73
Grizzlybear48
Grizzlybear48 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation K4PC 1.17

Quote:
While the 1.17 solution works for now, Amazon is determined to move all their content to a proprietary format and use the near-monopoly of the kindle to drive this process. If you have downgraded from 1.19 to 1.17, Amazon knows who you are and why you have done it - dont imagine they arent watching this process at both a macro and a micro level. I give the worksround a maximum of 2 years. Not only readers but some publishers also dont like this but they are powerless against Amazon.
Powerless, really? If this happens, I will stop buying from Amazon (not only ebooks) and everybody concerned should do likewise!
Grizzlybear48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear48 View Post
Powerless, really? If this happens, I will stop buying from Amazon (not only ebooks) and everybody concerned should do likewise!

I'm concerned, but I don't agree with you at all.

I'll buy from any site that legitimately sells what I wish to buy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #75
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I vote with my custom... Even if I have to pay a bit more.

I no longer deal with 'worst buy' over a in store order that went bad (for internet sale only?) ' They stalled for months and they failed to admit their oops (If they had said early on, Oops! I would have shrugged it off)
So the bottom line is:
1) I don't shop there.
2) I don't send anyone there.
Enough people have reason to do similar and their shareholder will get unhappy
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc