Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogui View Post
Are there prospects for Apprentice, Calibre to offer a more permanent solution for this problem?
For the record, note that Kovid Goyal and calibre have nothing at all to do with DRM solutions. All DRM removal software is third-party, and not developed by Kovid Goyal in any way.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #32
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogui View Post
Are there prospects for Apprentice, Calibre to offer a more permanent solution for this problem?
There are two parts to this. The first is removal of KFX DRM, which is not an appropriate topic for discussion here on MobileRead.

The second is conversion of non-DRM KFX to a more useful format. I believe that this would be difficult, but doable. I doubt that anyone is going to bother working on that unless the DRM problem is solved first.

For now the best long(-ish) term solution is to avoid KFX by purchasing an older e-ink Kindle device.

There has been some discussion of this issue at Apprentice Harper's GitHub repository:
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ols/issues/205
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ools/issues/38

Last edited by jhowell; 02-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #33
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Just downloaded my latest Kindle book and unfortunately it won't load into Calibre. I get the message as discussed up-thread of KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.

The Kindle book subdirectory has the bookname.azw file along with a amzn1.drm-voucher.v1 file, so I guess I'm out of luck.

I'm not inclined to mess with old versions of the Kindle program, it eventually will just end up confusing me or stop working once they change something else, so I will hold out hope that Calibre will start working again someday.

Too bad for sure. Calibre was so great, for so long, keeping all my books organized.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Just downloaded my latest Kindle book and unfortunately it won't load into Calibre. I get the message as discussed up-thread of KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed.

The Kindle book subdirectory has the bookname.azw file along with a amzn1.drm-voucher.v1 file, so I guess I'm out of luck.

I'm not inclined to mess with old versions of the Kindle program, it eventually will just end up confusing me or stop working once they change something else, so I will hold out hope that Calibre will start working again someday.

Too bad for sure. Calibre was so great, for so long, keeping all my books organized.
Your profile says you have a PW2, if so you could just download the book directly from the website and use that for de-DRMing. That will get you a non-KFX copy.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #35
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Your profile says you have a PW2, if so you could just download the book directly from the website and use that for de-DRMing. That will get you a non-KFX copy.
hehe, thanks for the response, but myself and probably 95% of people that own e-readers, don't have a clue what you just said.

I buy the book and it miraculously lands in my PC Kindle application and in my e-reader. It all nicely keeps itself up to date with the latest versions. I click Add-Books in Calibre and it loads into that application, and I use it to keep track of my authors, books, searches, etc. That's all I know I'm afraid.

ltr
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
hehe, thanks for the response, but myself and probably 95% of people that own e-readers, don't have a clue what you just said.

I buy the book and it miraculously lands in my PC Kindle application and in my e-reader. It all nicely keeps itself up to date with the latest versions. I click Add-Books in Calibre and it loads into that application, and I use it to keep track of my authors, books, searches, etc. That's all I know I'm afraid.
If you are unwilling to use the previous version of Kindle for PC, then you can go to the Amazon website, Your Account, Manage Your Content and Devices, find the newly purchased book at the top of your list of content, and use the menu on the item to "Download for Transfer via USB" for your PW2.

That file will load into calibre just fine. If you want to remove the DRM as well, you'll need to read the instructions that came with the DRM removal plugin.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #37
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you are unwilling to use the previous version of Kindle for PC, then you can go to the Amazon website, Your Account, Manage Your Content and Devices, find the newly purchased book at the top of your list of content, and use the menu on the item to "Download for Transfer via USB" for your PW2.

That file will load into calibre just fine. If you want to remove the DRM as well, you'll need to read the instructions that came with the DRM removal plugin.
Fantastic, thanks for the clarification, I didn't understand what AnemicOak was getting at. That worked a charm, and I didn't have to mess up my versions.

I think Calibre needs some sort of popup that directs users what to do when they encounter one of these books that won't download.

ltr
Old 02-24-2017, 04:55 AM   #38
rmzg
rmzg began at the beginning.

Device: Note5
Is anyone able to register kindle version 1.17 anymore? I've tried downloading it from several links but when I go to tools -> register; and enter my amazon email and password I get a number of different errors, mostly asking me to enter a captcha, but nothing I do gets past the login screen. Any ideas?
rmzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzg View Post
Is anyone able to register kindle version 1.17 anymore? I've tried downloading it from several links but when I go to tools -> register; and enter my amazon email and password I get a number of different errors, mostly asking me to enter a captcha, but nothing I do gets past the login screen. Any ideas?
Only download it from links to the original source at Amazon. Like the links in the FAQs at Apprentice Harper's blog.

I'd open a fresh web page, log into Amazon, and change my password, if I were you.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #40
bukukecil
bukukecil began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Many thanks for quick and practical solution. Have always found Calibre to be reliable and user-friendly!
bukukecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #41
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzg View Post
I was seeing the same thing. I installed 1.19 this morning and registered it just fine, but after reading this thread, I uninstalled it, and installed 1.17 from apprentice alf's FAQ link. Then it won't let me register. I even went on to amazon and deregistered my pc to see if that would help. Initially it did nothing, but I gave it a few minutes, tried again, and it accepted the registration.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #42
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dow View Post
I was seeing the same thing. I installed 1.19 this morning and registered it just fine, but after reading this thread, I uninstalled it, and installed 1.17 from apprentice alf's FAQ link. Then it won't let me register. I even went on to amazon and deregistered my pc to see if that would help. Initially it did nothing, but I gave it a few minutes, tried again, and it accepted the registration.
I had the same thing happen, but deregistering my PC did not work for me. I got it to work by skipping uninstalling 1.19. Just install 1.17 over the top of 1.19 (after turning off autoupdate, and registering in 1.19). 1.17 then connects without asking to re-register and works fine.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #43
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
I had the same thing happen, but deregistering my PC did not work for me. I got it to work by skipping uninstalling 1.19. Just install 1.17 over the top of 1.19 (after turning off autoupdate, and registering in 1.19). 1.17 then connects without asking to re-register and works fine.
Nothing else worked and I was going nuts (although the download workaround was OK) - and this worked easily!
Thank you!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have updated the first post to no longer recommend uninstalling K4PC 1.19 and to include the possible deregister workaround using the Amazon website.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #45
rmzg
rmzg began at the beginning.

Device: Note5
I uninstalled my current version of kindle 4 pc, installed the latest straight from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/pc/download), registered successfully, then opened the installer for 1.17.44183 (from the links to amazon's website) and it promptly opened up kindle set to version 1.17 and downloaded books in .azw format once more. Success!

Although you do have to wonder how long this will work. Will I be forced to buy a kindle e-ink just to get useful files?
rmzg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc