Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Free Kindle Self-Help
Who are you and what did you do with tubemonkey?

The ultimate self-help book: How to Cure Yourself of Pop Diagnoses and Rid Yourself of the Self-Help Habit
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #47
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
FREE/BARGAIN — Non-Fiction — 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Free Kindle Self-Help
So does a book like this

Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus
https://www.amazon.com/Knit-Fix-Lisa...dp/B00DH40MO0/ (Tapatalk keeps messing up the URL; the ASIN is B00DH40MO0 )

count as a self-help book for tubemonkey? ;-)

Last edited by bookmarked; 01-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #48
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
About the only book that I saw that might be significantly more applicable to men is the one about barbequing (sp?)--for some reason men seem to be much more interested in that than women.
Hey, I like BBQ! Not that I'm opposed to letting a Dude hang out in the smoke and heat to get it ready....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Hey, I like BBQ! Not that I'm opposed to letting a Dude hang out in the smoke and heat to get it ready....
Do you like to eat BBQ or do the BBQ?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Who are you and what did you do with tubemonkey?

The ultimate self-help book: How to Cure Yourself of Pop Diagnoses and Rid Yourself of the Self-Help Habit
Demonic possession. By the time I could get someone to do the exorcism, the damage had been done. The self-help offers were posted. I woke up this morning stunned by what "I" had done. Oh, the horror of it all.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
So does a book like this

Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters by Lisa Kartus
https://www.amazon.com/Knit-Fix-Lisa...dp/B00DH40MO0/ (Tapatalk keeps messing up the URL; the ASIN is B00DH40MO0 )

count as a self-help book for tubemonkey? ;-)
LOL

It's not needed. tubemonkeys are born with the ability to self-repair. It's instinctual.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The one about avoiding procrastination sounds useful - maybe I'll get around to ordering it someday
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The one about avoiding procrastination sounds useful - maybe I'll get around to ordering it someday
Old 01-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #54
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Do you like to eat BBQ or do the BBQ?
Lots of people like to eat barbecue, but men seem to be the ones most likely to want to cook anything outdoors!

Last edited by 4691mls; 01-11-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #55
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Lots of people like to eat barbecue, but men seem to be the ones most likely to want to cook anything outdoors!
I know koland said she liked BBQ so I was wondering which.
Now I love barbecue ribs. Just let me know in advance if they are beef or pork. I thought I got all you could eat beef ribs at a restaurant. If I had known they were pork, I would have ordered something else. They were fantastic. Not so much the next day.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #56
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Now I love barbecue ribs. Just let me know in advance if they are beef or pork. I thought I got all you could eat beef ribs at a restaurant. If I had known they were pork, I would have ordered something else. They were fantastic. Not so much the next day.
The charred part is carcinogenic. If you eat BBQ, it's like smoking cigarettes.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #57
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
I'll happily eat pretty much any kind of barbecue - beef, pork, chicken, tomato-based, vinegar-based, etc.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #58
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
The charred part is carcinogenic. If you eat BBQ, it's like smoking cigarettes.
I don't eat burned food, most good barbecue isn't charred. Unless you have wolf teeth, you can't eat the carcinogenic part.
And by the way that was disproved. Only if you eat 100 pounds of very burned meat every day for several years will it cause cancer in humans.
Yes, in major quantities, it and everything else has been shown to cause cancer in rats.
And don't forget to add 50 pounds of sweet and low.

No, it is not. Where did you read that?
No, barbecue does not have the addictive properties of a cigarette.
Gotta love pseudo-science.

I want to see at least 5 verifiable sources. And one better either be the CDC or WHO.
Without the researchers having an agenda.
I am sure in the 50's or 60's there was proof that cigarettes were harmless.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #59
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Personally I avoid charred meat too and that because I do not like it.

I don't know, offhand, what the most recent studies are claiming for charred meat with respect to propensity to cause cancers, but in relaying information regarding risks to us the news media do us a great disservice because the way they do it makes better headlines and promotes future sales, rather than informs.

So they may state that it is now proven that one has a 30% greater probability of dying if one eats such and such a food, but if you look into the actual results of the study one will often find that in absolute terms the risk is actually still very low. For example, the study may show that those not eating the food have a mortality rate of 1 in 1000 whereas those eating the food have a mortality rate of 1.3 in 1000 i.e. a 30% increase in risk.

So in absolute terms the risk is still so very low that it is of no consequence, the media have just presented it in a way that makes it sound high risk. That applies to media reporting of risks in general, not just those associated with food - they are after standout headlines to draw attention and the instilling of worry, the worry promoting readers/viewers/listeners to be captured into remaining as, or becoming an ongoing audience in order to remain "informed (sic)".
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #60
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
I don't eat burned food, most good barbecue isn't charred. Unless you have wolf teeth, you can't eat the carcinogenic part.
And by the way that was disproved. Only if you eat 100 pounds of very burned meat every day for several years will it cause cancer in humans.
Yes, in major quantities, it and everything else has been shown to cause cancer in rats.
And don't forget to add 50 pounds of sweet and low.

No, it is not. Where did you read that?
No, barbecue does not have the addictive properties of a cigarette.
Gotta love pseudo-science.

I want to see at least 5 verifiable sources. And one better either be the CDC or WHO.
Without the researchers having an agenda.
I am sure in the 50's or 60's there was proof that cigarettes were harmless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Personally I avoid charred meat too and that because I do not like it.

I don't know, offhand, what the most recent studies are claiming for charred meat with respect to propensity to cause cancers, but in relaying information regarding risks to us the news media do us a great disservice because the way they do it makes better headlines and promotes future sales, rather than informs.

So they may state that it is now proven that one has a 30% greater probability of dying if one eats such and such a food, but if you look into the actual results of the study one will often find that in absolute terms the risk is actually still very low. For example, the study may show that those not eating the food have a mortality rate of 1 in 1000 whereas those eating the food have a mortality rate of 1.3 in 1000 i.e. a 30% increase in risk.

So in absolute terms the risk is still so very low that it is of no consequence, the media have just presented it in a way that makes it sound high risk. That applies to media reporting of risks in general, not just those associated with food - they are after standout headlines to draw attention and the instilling of worry, the worry promoting readers/viewers/listeners to be captured into remaining as, or becoming an ongoing audience in order to remain "informed (sic)".
I said that in jest, just to see the reactions. And those are two funny ones!

Personally, I do like a little charred meat on pulled pork. I think that it comes from my years in north Alabama. People often would ask for "outside," i.e., charred, meat there. There were lots of BBQ joints there. I love the north Alabama style pulled pork BBQ--it is very moist, even without anything added. One very distinctive feature is vinegar-based slaw put on (inside) the pulled pork sandwiches. It was not easy to find ribs.

Every BBQ haven has a different style--North Carolina, Memphis (overrated, IMHO), Kansas City . . . . Most of them are good, in their own specific way. There is/was this local place in Tuscaloosa in a building that looked like some big shack (that's probably the way it was when it began) called Dreamland that had awesome ribs. They are/were very saucy. For years and years there were only two (three if you count a bottled drink) items on the menu--ribs and slices of white loaf bread! Visitors loved them--sports broadcasters frequently would mention going there when they were in town to cover a game. They became a chain throughout Alabama, though, maybe 20 years ago, though, and expanded their menu, but I haven't been to one of them.

I wish that I could take every good thing about every place that I've lived and bring them together in one town. That would be awesome.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote