Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
HTML Or XHTML?

Hi everyone. Wich language to use on writing for Kindle and Nook devices? Can I use XHTML for both devices? Tkx for your help.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Nook uses ePub, as far as I know, and ePub uses XHTML.

Kindle uses mobi, which is proprietary and without open specifications, so it could be whatever. But there are at least two versions:

"Old" mobi, before KF8/AZW3: It uses a custom HTML-like language, with a limited set of tags, a special meaning for some attributes and some new tags.

"New" mobi, KF8/AZW3: It's basically a repackaged ePub, from what I've heard, so I guess it's XHTML too.

In any case, you don't write the mobi directly, but convert it from something else. Typically, you'll create an ePub first (so: XHTML) and convert with kindlegen or calibre. But it's possible to write the pseudo-HTML code in the old mobi format and convert with something like MobiPerl too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
Thanks for helping me out, Jellby.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote