Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
moonangelica
moonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Clara
Question Reader with good organisation?

Hi, I used to have a Sony e-reader before it gave up the ghost and since then I have been using my tablet and Aldiko/Moon-Reader. However the glare is bugging me especially outside and after a while my eyes can start to hurt so time to get a new reader.

I have a large collection - around 6000 books. They are all in calibre with metadata (genre tags, collection groupings, and series data) all set up. What I would like is a reader that can keep a lot of that organisation but first and foremost the series order data.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reader with great organisation? I was looking at a kindle but since it doesn't seem to do series order I'm try to look for something else.
moonangelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you were happy with the Sony, then you should look at the Kobo devices. These have collections that can be managed automatically from calibre. And they support series information - displayed in lists, sorting the lists and when searching for books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonangelica View Post
Hi, I used to have a Sony e-reader before it gave up the ghost and since then I have been using my tablet and Aldiko/Moon-Reader. However the glare is bugging me especially outside and after a while my eyes can start to hurt so time to get a new reader.

I have a large collection - around 6000 books. They are all in calibre with metadata (genre tags, collection groupings, and series data) all set up. What I would like is a reader that can keep a lot of that organisation but first and foremost the series order data.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reader with great organisation? I was looking at a kindle but since it doesn't seem to do series order I'm try to look for something else.
Try calibre companion app if it works for you then get an android based eink reader.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just use a Calibre metadata plugboard to get books displayed in series order. Works absolutely fine for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I would NOT recommend the Kobo Clara hd.
After reading lots about the problems which the reader had with "light bleed" I went ahead and bought one anyway, as many peeps were of the opinion that the issue had been fixed. The device I received is terrible: it has a strip of light down each side (like strip lighting) and bright patches in each of the bottom corners.
I'm returning it for a refund, and might buy the new Paperwhite, depending on the reviews.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I would NOT recommend the Kobo Clara hd.
After reading lots about the problems which the reader had with "light bleed" I went ahead and bought one anyway, as many peeps were of the opinion that the issue had been fixed. The device I received is terrible: it has a strip of light down each side (like strip lighting) and bright patches in each of the bottom corners.
Can you point to me where it states that this bleed problem has been fixed? The only mention of it that I can think of is Kobo telling someone in a chat that they planned to fix it. All the other discussion is about how noticeable it is on individual devices and how people react to it. Mine, I can see it, but I don't notice it. Yours sounds like it was at the extremely bad end of the spectrum. Did you post a photo that showed it? I don't remember if you did, but I would like to see it.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

davidfor: In my thread over in the Kobo dept of MR, I was reassured that the light issue was less complained of now.
In post #64 it is mentioned again. Here's the link to the page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=311830&page=5

I also read in several other places (I've read so much about this that I couldn't point to any exact statement) expectations that the light bleed will no longer be a problem in Claras bought now.

When I received the Clara and described the degree of light-bleed on the above mentioned thread, I was there asked for a picture, but as I have a dumb mobile, which doesn't even have pictures and don't have a digital camera, this would require a difficult work-round. So I'm unable to easily upload a pic.

From my experience, the Clara isn't a reader I would recommend.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:15 AM   #8
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I am one of several who have reported no problem with light bleed on the Clara. I absolutely LOVE my Clara, best reader I've ever had. And I say that even after discovering that if I fiddle with the comfort light settings to an extreme level that I never use in reading I actually can see a little thin strip down one side. When I first saw it the phrase "much ado about nothing" sprang to mind. I'm using the Comfort light a lot now, and had never noticed until I went out of my way to reproduce it, then was left wondering what all the fuss was about. Of course, this is only my reaction, and may be at least in part because my Clara doesn't have any of the "spots" that others have mentioned, and because to see the "light bleed" at all requires me to fiddle with the settings in a way I never do in real world usage

So, as long as you're easily able to get a refund if you're unhappy with it, if the "comfort light" is an important feature for you, I would unhesitatingly urge the Clara as the ideal 6-inch.IF you get one with "light bleed" and if it's so bad you can't accept it, then return it and try the Paperwhite 4, which looks like an excellent reader itself. If the "comfort light" is not important, then just go with the Paperwhite.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Earlier today a very unfussy friend popped round. I showed him the Clara and he immediately saw the issue. It was set at normal room light, with the comfort light just enough to produce the same light seen on a kindle paperwhite. He noticed strips of light down each side and thought them especially bad towards the bottom of the screen, where there are light patches in the corner.

I then gave him my kindle for comparison. The light on the PW is even and comfortable. Whereas, after using the Clara for about five minutes, I start seeing after images (as I would after staring at a light bulb) and get eye strain.

This certainly isn't "much ado about nothing" especially when they just need to do the tape fix in the factory before the devices are sent out. If I did this it would void the warrantee.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I've liked my Kobo for small sets of books, but it does take a really long time to index books. The hardware was good and overall it was easy to use.

I have at least double your library though, so you might not have the same experience with indexing taking forever.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I've liked my Kobo for small sets of books, but it does take a really long time to index books. The hardware was good and overall it was easy to use.

I have at least double your library though, so you might not have the same experience with indexing taking forever.
How long is really long? My 5000 books took about 15 minutes recently. This was with either a 4.10.x or 4.11.x firmware. But, it has been that quick for a while.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post

9300 books on a Clara HD with a 32GB uSD card. Took about 27 minutes to import the books after I copied them over. It took longer for the copy than for the import. Software was a 4.11.whatever.

Edit: One note is that all those ebooks have been through either FlightCrew and epubcheck for epub2 ebooks or epubcheck for epub3 ebooks so I am fairly certain that none are going to cause issues when importing. Otherwise, I would limit the number imported in one batch to allow more easily finding the corrupt ebooks. Kobo's equivalent to a Kindle getting stuck indexing.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-09-2018 at 12:48 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 AM   #13
moonangelica
moonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of lightmoonangelica is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Clara
Finally getting around to responding ^_^; I've been sick.

On the recommendations above and a pile of googling and further research I did go ahead and get the Kobo Clara.

Kindle was a hard no as I need the extra organisation. I talked to my flatmate who has the kindle and she just gave up any organisation and if she's reading a series and can't remember off the top of her head, she'll just google which book is next. I also sideload a lot of books using calibre vs just buying from the store.

I'm really happy with it.

The side bleed issue on mine is minimal to the point you can almost say there is none.

The organisation, both in terms of the collections and the series info subtitle are exactly what I needed. And the series info subtitle means I can bypass using the collections to sort series and just use them for bigger categories, which speeds up the device - my first load ended up with over 500 collections due to having one for each series which meant the collection page tended to lag when switching. Now I have around 50 bigger categories and can sort via series within those.

My biggest import was 2500 books at once. I didn't find the indexing any slower than I was expecting, though I didn't necessarily time it.
moonangelica is offline   Reply With Quote