Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't see why you can't just open the folder and Look if that level of detail is needed on rare occasions
In the metadata editor, you can see the timestamp of the format (this is useful if you wish to drop an updated format version)
My suggestion was apropos the immediately prior post from PeterSm

When one is dealing with text books and academic texts, long titles and names are more prevalent than in popular fiction, biographies and such, hence one needs/wants to pay closer attention to detail.

I always open the book folder after I add a new book, or change title. If I change an author name I open all their book folders - it that circumstance it would be handy to hover on the format to 'eyeball' check the format file name.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
So exactly which OS can handle long names for folders but not long names for filesystems?

And why isn't' this extra compatibility an option for those who need it and why do the rest of us have to suffer because some small percentage of Calibre users might be users of it?

I'm genuinely curious because grep-ing the Calibre folder is super-useful since Calibre's search is so lacking.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@MelBr: Sigh^2
Windows and this restriction is only imposed by calibre on windows. And there is absolutely no information you can get from grepping the filesystem (as opposed to file contents) that you cannot get from doing a search in calibre. If you believe otherwise, you are sadly, and not surprisingly, ill-informed. However, given your attitude, I have zero interest in educating you.

@BR: A good idea, will be in the next release.

I am done with this thread.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@MelBr: Sigh^2
Windows and this restriction is only imposed by calibre on windows.
I am done with this thread.
Maybe you should think about "upgrading" the Calibre database. In the next release, prompt the user that the database has changed, and that it needs to be "upgraded" to the newest version.

Generate random ID's for foldernames and filenames. iTunes does this. (Or at least, did the last time I used it.)

Maybe that will dissuade people from messing with Calibre's folder.

The windows limit of 256 characters for a path+filename are because of the need of compatibility with very old software. Windows has a very good backward compatibility, but it comes with quirks such as this.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #35
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Okay. This is my first post ever on this forum. First of all I'm really grateful to Mr. Kovid for developing this amazing freeware that helps greately in converting ebook files to different formats and also serves as an awesome reader for such files.

I'm running windows 10- 64 bit. I'm using Calibre version 3.31. I'm still facing the issue of truncated file names.

I convert MS Word .docx files and pdf files to epub and I'm facing this issue of output epub file names getting truncated. What should I do to solve this issue? I transfer epub files to my smartphone for reading while commuting in buses and trains.
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #36
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You can't do anything except the already given tips. It can't be change as long as Microsoft not change the limitation within the OS and file system.

For Windows 10 there is a way to use longer constructs but they are also not common, in other words - not applicable for calibre.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/win...a-file#maxpath
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
I convert MS Word .docx files and pdf files to epub and I'm facing this issue of output epub file names getting truncated. What should I do to solve this issue? I transfer epub files to my smartphone for reading while commuting in buses and trains.
If you only want conversion, i.e. not maintain an ebook library, use the command line tools, where you will have control over folder and file names, in particular see ebook-convert in ==>> calibre User Manual: The Command Line Interface.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-30-2018 at 05:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:22 AM   #38
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you only want conversion, i.e. not maintain an ebook library, use the command line tools, where you will have control over folder and file names, in particular see ebook-convert in ==>> calibre User Manual: The Command Line Interface.

BR
Okay, I went through the method. It doesn't tell anything about bulk conversion. How do I do bulk conversion from docx files to epub files with no default cover?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #39
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You write a script with a loop. For instance to convert all files in a folder. Or all files with docx type.

I don't use windows, so I cant give details. But try to search for "powershell loop".

Also please note that if you do the conversion in the calibre GUI and embed metadata in the epubs with unhelpful filenames, you can use most e-reader software to search/browse the books on your phone based on the metadata. I believe it is possible, using a plugin, to even add the original filename to the metadata.

Last edited by Adoby; 11-03-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote