Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
proto57
proto57 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How can I stop Nook from converting PDF?

I've scoured the web for an answer to this, several times over the years, and cannot find a solution. Maybe someone here can help.

I don't like the way my Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight converts PDF's internally. It usually scrambles the text, gives weird fonts, and so on. I know it is the reader doing the conversion, because if I click on the file on my card in the reader from my laptop, it opens in Adobe, and is in the original PDF format.

So it must be in the Nook itself that it converts. But I can't find any way to stop the Nook from doing this.

Now I know there must be a way to avoid conversion. Some PDFs do convert, others do not. So I have looked for a setting on the PDF file itself... some way to change its properties, like eliminate it as a searchable, or raster file, and so on. No luck... can't find it.

The only thing that worked, a long time ago, was to export the entire book as images... jpgs... then "rebuild" a PDF from those images, using Acrobat. But this is cumbersome and time consuming.

Anyone have any idea how to either change a PDF, or otherwise stop Nook from doing this conversion? Thanks in advance...
proto57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Your Nook is not converting the files. Your pdf files have an embedded text layer, that is what the nook is displaying.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by proto57 View Post
I've scoured the web for an answer to this, several times over the years, and cannot find a solution. Maybe someone here can help.

I don't like the way my Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight converts PDF's internally. It usually scrambles the text, gives weird fonts, and so on. I know it is the reader doing the conversion, because if I click on the file on my card in the reader from my laptop, it opens in Adobe, and is in the original PDF format.

So it must be in the Nook itself that it converts. But I can't find any way to stop the Nook from doing this.

Now I know there must be a way to avoid conversion. Some PDFs do convert, others do not. So I have looked for a setting on the PDF file itself... some way to change its properties, like eliminate it as a searchable, or raster file, and so on. No luck... can't find it.

The only thing that worked, a long time ago, was to export the entire book as images... jpgs... then "rebuild" a PDF from those images, using Acrobat. But this is cumbersome and time consuming.

Anyone have any idea how to either change a PDF, or otherwise stop Nook from doing this conversion? Thanks in advance...
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
proto57

Thanks much, GBM... do you know of a way to remove this "embedded text layer" from my PDF files, before installing on the NOOK?

As I type, I'm trying by using Acrobat 8's "save as other", with "font" unchecked... it is now saving, so maybe that will work.

Unless you know how to do this? Thanks...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
proto57

Removing the font didn't help... but from your suggestion, I decided to try removing the metadata with my Acrobat 8. I'm removing what they designate as "hidden text". Hopefully that is the "embedded text" you describe. We will see...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
proto57

OMG, gbm you're the best! Explaining to me what was happening, what was there... those "embedded text files" (never knew that), and your link, steered me to the solution:

1) Open in Adobe Acrobat (I have v.8)
2) Go to document>examine document
3) Make sure "hidden text" is checked (I also kept "Metadata" checked, not sure if necessary to remove this also)
4) Click "remove all checked items"
5) Save document

I reloaded the resulting file (book)... which was much smaller, BTW... into my Nook, and it opens with the crisp original type from 1909.

Thanks again, and all the best...

Tags
avoid, bad, conversion, pdf, stop