Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
X-link to the DRM-free thread for a new bundle:

Humble Book Bundle Dude Care offered by publisher Callisto contains a nice-looking spread of pop-reference, business & grooming self-help, and cookbooks aimed at guys. If you've ever wondered how to cook with medical marijuana, well, this is your chance to learn. And there are also some promising-looking “lite” guides to philosophy and economics, etc.
No criticism of your post here--I liked the kinds of books that Humble Bundle posted and their generally good or better quality.

However, I'd like to give a message to the person who came up with the title of the collections ("Dude Care"): the books largely have to do with the business world and other things that were traditionally the near-exclusive domain of men. For the most part, they aren't now.

In fact, at least one book, The Portable Essential Oils, might be of more interest to women than men. I don't know very many (in fact, none) men who are into that.

Maybe you were thinking about the bodybuilding cookbook? Fine, that might be one book (out of how many books--20? 30? in the whole Humble Bundle collection). But, have you watched any bodybuilding competitions on TV lately? There are lots of women bodybuilders now.

About the only book that I saw that might be significantly more applicable to men is the one about barbequing (sp?)--for some reason men seem to be much more interested in that than women.

I'm not one who thinks much of the whole Political Correctness thing. But, the title "Dude Care" struck me as being sexist. I'm going to take the high road here and just assume that you used "dude care" because there is no female counterpart to "dude" (like "dudess") that you could have used.

Warm Regards,
GtrsRGr8
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
That's spanish for Thank You, Right.
Technically it means "thank you very much." Everything translated would be:

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

That makes me think Gtr has a little Elvis goin' on there.

skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Technically it means "thank you very much." Everything translated would be:

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

That makes me think Gtr has a little Elvis goin' on there.

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhh! Keep it a secret, but I am Elvis. I'm not really dead, just like all of the conspiracy theorists have kept saying over the years. I've just been in hiding.

But it sure is hard to keep hiding nowadays. After all, on Sunday I'm going to be turning 82 years old!

Oh, my aching bones.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-04-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
However, I'd like to give a message to the person who came up with the title of the collections ("Dude Care"): the books largely have to do with the business world and other things that were traditionally the near-exclusive domain of men. For the most part, they aren't now.

[snip]

I'm not one who thinks much of the whole Political Correctness thing. But, the title "Dude Care" struck me as being sexist. I'm going to take the high road here and just assume that you used "dude care" because there is no female counterpart to "dude" (like "dudess") that you could have used.
Well, you might be interested to know that they changed the copy (and the logo, which used to be a Mars symbol with a + in it) to something more neutral (literally, in the case of the symbol, which is now a non-gendered circle) and inclusive. The first paragraph of the selling blurb now reads:

Quote:
Dude, where's my care? Self-care isn't just essential oils, a good cocktail, and reading in the bath… although those things are pretty great. Whether you're a dude, a dudette, or anyone in between, these ebooks from our friends at Callisto will give you great self-improvement ideas for the New Year. So dudes: take some time for yourself! Barbecue a juicy steak, mix a stiff drink, and sit back with an ebook to ponder the philosophical questions of life. If you munch on some "special" mac & cheese at the same time, we won't judge.
So probably a bunch of other people wrote in to HB with your same complaint.

Incidentally, if anyone was wondering, the four pop-reference books in the bundle are pretty decent accessible overviews of basics and important highlights of their subject fields, and IMHO, probably worth it if you'd like a nice, easy intro to stuff.

The sushi cookbook is also pleasantly informative and easy to use (they took advantage of the ebook format to hyperlink recipes that were used by other recipes, which is a nice touch), and it and the Philosophy intro are available at the $1 tier.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, you might be interested to know that they changed the copy (and the logo, which used to be a Mars symbol with a + in it) to something more neutral (literally, in the case of the symbol, which is now a non-gendered circle) and inclusive. The first paragraph of the selling blurb now reads:
<snip>
So probably a bunch of other people wrote in to HB with your same complaint.
I didn't look at the HB site after I made my post. In fact, I may not have refreshed the screen at any time while I was writing the post. Thanks for letting me know. I feel better about HB now. We all have brain farts from time to time, and maybe this was one of theirs.

Quote:
Incidentally, if anyone was wondering, the four pop-reference books in the bundle are pretty decent accessible overviews of basics and important highlights of their subject fields, and IMHO, probably worth it if you'd like a nice, easy intro to stuff.

The sushi cookbook is also pleasantly informative and easy to use (they took advantage of the ebook format to hyperlink recipes that were used by other recipes, which is a nice touch), and it and the Philosophy intro are available at the $1 tier.
Yeah, like I said, I liked the kinds of books that Humble Bundle posted and their generally good or better quality and I certainly didn't want you to think that I was being critical of you for posting them. I would have bought the "pay what you like" (as long as "what you like" is $1 or more. ha) bundle, mainly on the strength of the philosophy book, but I already owned it. I hope that they have more of this kind of mainstream or mixed audience kind of book selection in the future.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #21
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
UK special offer £1.99

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Daniel Kahneman, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his seminal work in psychology challenging the rational model of judgment and decision making, is one of the world's most important thinkers. His ideas have had a profound impact on many fields

In Thinking, Fast and Slow, Kahneman takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think and make choices. One system is fast, intuitive, and emotional; the other is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities-and also the faults and biases-of fast thinking, and reveals the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on our thoughts and behaviour.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinking-Fa...dp/B005MJFA2W/

Excellent value, I paid much more when it went into pb and felt it worth every penny then.

Recommended by David D Friedman.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #22
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, free

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards: The History of Iran's Elite Military Organization

and still free

Susa: The History and Legacy of the Elamite Capital in the Ancient Near East

The Sepoy Rebellion of 1857: The History and Legacy of the Indian Rebellion against the British East India Company

Santa Anna: The Life and Legacy of the Legendary Mexican President and General

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #23
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
UK special offer £1.99

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Daniel Kahneman, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his seminal work in psychology challenging the rational model of judgment and decision making, is one of the world's most important thinkers. His ideas have had a profound impact on many fields

In Thinking, Fast and Slow, Kahneman takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think and make choices. One system is fast, intuitive, and emotional; the other is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities-and also the faults and biases-of fast thinking, and reveals the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on our thoughts and behaviour.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinking-Fa...dp/B005MJFA2W/

Excellent value, I paid much more when it went into pb and felt it worth every penny then.

Recommended by David D Friedman.
Thanks for the post. Because of your recommendation, I went to "our" Amazon site to see if it happened to be marked down here. You are always great about posting the prices in various countries, and hadn't for the U.S., so I wasn't very hopeful. I wasn't disappointed--it was about $10 here.

Strange thing, I couldn't find a way to put the title on my wish list on the U.S. site. Maybe it's an (rare) Amazon glitch.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #24
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

243 IT Books from the Major IT Book Publisher O'Reilly. Currently FREE!

For some reason--and I don't think that I'm imagining this--there may be more free, and marked down to an extreme, ebooks in the IT subgenre than just about any other non-fiction subgenre. Especially if you consider only high quality productions. Their bargains don't seem to get publicized much, however. Packt is one publisher that helps make that first statement true--I frequently see free ebooks and $5 ebooks from them." Even Microsoft has a collection of perpetually free ones. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

O'Reilly is one such company, too. I see good sales by them from time to time, but this one has to be one of, if not the, best that I've ever seen from them. They have just started a sale on 243 ebooks, in which all of them are free. That's right, they're gratuit, gratis, gratuito, svobodno, livre--free! And those of you in the IT business know how very high in price such books can be.

Let me cut to the chase. Here's the webpage for the sale, on which you can find all of the free titles. If you want to head off and check out the selection and things, go right ahead. However, if you wish to continue reading, I'll list the particular topics that the books cover. Here they are:
- Business & Leadership (seem to cover more than just IT businesses).
- Data
- Design
- Hardware & IoT
- Programming
- Security
- Web Development
- Web Performance & DevOps

I get the feeling that there are not very many IT people who follow this thread, or are even in this forum. Why do I feel that way? When people post books like these, there is rarely any response from anyone. But this sale is just too good not to post. I hope that there's someone out there who can find some titles that they want to grab and potentially save a little--check that: a lot--of money.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-06-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I hope that there's someone out there who can find some titles that they want to grab and potentially save a little--check that: a lot--of money.
Many thanks for posting! There are some very interesting titles in that lot.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #26
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
For some reason--and I don't think that I'm imagining this--there may be more free, and marked down to an extreme, ebooks in the IT subgenre than just about any other non-fiction subgenre. Especially if you consider only high quality productions. Their bargains don't seem to get publicized much, however. Packt is one publisher that helps make that first statement true--I frequently see free ebooks and $5 ebooks from them." Even Microsoft has a collection of perpetually free ones. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

O'Reilly is one such company, too. I see good sales by them from time to time, but this one has to be one of, if not the, best that I've ever seen from them. They have just started a sale on 243 ebooks, in which all of them are free. That's right, they're gratuit, gratis, gratuito, svobodno, livre--free! And those of you in the IT business know how very high in price such books can be.

Let me cut to the chase. Here's the webpage for the sale, on which you can find all of the free titles. If you want to head off and check out the selection and things, go right ahead. However, if you wish to continue reading, I'll list the particular topics that the books cover. Here they are:
- Business & Leadership (seem to cover more than just IT businesses).
- Data
- Design
- Hardware & IoT
- Programming
- Security
- Web Development
- Web Performance & DevOps

I get the feeling that there are not very many IT people who follow this thread, or are even in this forum. Why do I feel that way? When people post books like these, there is rarely any response from anyone. But this sale is just too good not to post. I hope that there's someone out there who can find some titles that they want to grab and potentially save a little--check that: a lot--of money.
Thank You for highlighting a wide range of freebies. I typically do not grab the Tech Books. This time I have a friend who is designing a business website for herself so I am grabbing the various Web Design books for her.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #27
rrrlakin
shu-shu
rrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenrrrlakin has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: two Astak PP/various kindles
None of the links work. They all say no listings match your search items.

rrrlakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Charles River Editors, free

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards: The History of Iran's Elite Military Organization

and still free

Susa: The History and Legacy of the Elamite Capital in the Ancient Near East

The Sepoy Rebellion of 1857: The History and Legacy of the Indian Rebellion against the British East India Company

Santa Anna: The Life and Legacy of the Legendary Mexican President and General

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
rrrlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #28
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Many thanks for posting! There are some very interesting titles in that lot.
I'll take your word for it--the topics were so over my head that I didn't have a clue what they were about. The extent of my IT knowledge is just about only how to plug in an Ethernet cable. ha I express my admiration for IT people.

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback that is helpful to those of us who post, in order for us to know what to (and not to!) post among what is sometimes a myriad of choices of bargain ebooks in front of us.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #29
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
Thank You for highlighting a wide range of freebies. I typically do not grab the Tech Books. This time I have a friend who is designing a business website for herself so I am grabbing the various Web Design books for her.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm wondering if all of the ebooks on that subject are not going to be too much for her. I don't mean over her head, necessarily, but just overkill--giving too much information. It depends upon the sophistication of her planned website, I suppose.

Thankfully, the last website that I built I was able to do it entirely with a version of Microsoft Word (one of the old versions which would actually let you use it to create rudimentary websites). I needed something with much more advanced features, though.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-06-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #30
mrwrite
Enthusiast
mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Arrow Books about epub3

O'Reilly has two books available free on the topic of epub3:
What Is Epub3
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022442.do
Accessible Epub3
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025283.do

"What Is Epub3?" is only 24 pages of reading. The short answer
to "What is epub3?" is, XHTML5. This means that more types
of media can be in an ebook. (Finally, my .gif image can come
to life!)

I have not started reading, "Accessible Epub3" yet. It has 104
pages.

O'Reilly has the books available in the following formats: DAISY, ePub,
Mobi, PDF.

ALERT: To get the freebies from O'Rielly you have to establish an
account with your email, address, and phone number. If you sign
in using your Twitter account, they (currently) use READ access.

These book are also free downloads at Kobo books:
What Is Epub3
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/what-is-epub-3
Accessible Epub3
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/accessible-epub-3
Available on a kobo reader and
"Download options: EPUB 2 (DRM-Free)"

Be it known, both books are now available at Amazon as a free Kindle download.
mrwrite is offline   Reply With Quote