Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Kindle "Special Offers"

My Kindle Keyboard has the special offers, I haven't seen anything advertised that I want, but it hasn't been worth the $20 to remove it. I see many romance novels advertised, and I've never once purchased a romance novel for my Kindle, nor do I intend to.

But today, I pick up my Kindle, and what do I see on the screen saver? Fifty Shades of Grey. Oh, Amazon, do you truly know me so poorly? We spent all this time together, and you think I might be interested in that book? I don't care if others want to read it, but it's not a book I would buy. All this data they could mine on me, and Amazon thinks I want Fifty Shades of Grey? It's like having Boris and Natasha from Bullwinkle spying on me. If only there was a "Hell, no!" option that would inform Amazon of my utter disinterest.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Guess the $20 are worth now.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I miss the early days of special offers when they actually came close to paying for the Kindle itself.

My reader doesn't have SO (never has), but others in the house have and I used to make my daughter keep WiFi on and let me inspect it periodically for good offers. For the last few years I haven't seen a single one I cared about.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I miss the early days of special offers when they actually came close to paying for the Kindle itself.

My reader doesn't have SO (never has), but others in the house have and I used to make my daughter keep WiFi on and let me inspect it periodically for good offers. For the last few years I haven't seen a single one I cared about.
The special offers are still there; can be enabled if you had paid the $10 for not to have the ads popping up. Then also you can just sign on to amazon & check "your" deals or general special offers at the top bar or something.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
The special offers are still there; can be enabled if you had paid the $10 for not to have the ads popping up. Then also you can just sign on to amazon & check "your" deals or general special offers at the top bar or something.
Sure, but I still have access to Kindles that have it w/o turning it on for my Kindle.

The problem I was expressing was that the offers are nowhere near as good as they were when they first introduced the program and aren't worth even looking at anymore.
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I've had kindles with SOs for several years now and more than 75% of the ads were not for products which I was interested in nor ever purchased anything similar to them. In fact I never had the impression the ads were personalized to the user, so I am confused why you would think the FSoG ad is geared to you and you find so offensive. Just ignore it as I am sure you have ignored any of the others.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never said I was offended by Fifty Shades of Grey. I just think it is rather ridiculous to advertise this to me when Amazon knows what I buy. Ads targeted at the interests of individuals would be considerably more effective than simply throwing the same ads at everyone. Perhaps the special offers are worth it just for the entertainment value.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
The thing that seems weird to me is that up until a few weeks ago, the special offers that I got were only ebooks.
That changed, and instead I keep getting special offers for various non ebook products, like running shoes
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
The thing that seems weird to me is that up until a few weeks ago, the special offers that I got were only ebooks.
That changed, and instead I keep getting special offers for various non ebook products, like running shoes
That's odd. When I had my Kindle Touch with SO, virtually all the offers were for things other than ebooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

At first, what I got was offers for books - books I wouldn't read, but still books. Today, I got an ad for Direct TV. Not unreasonable, Amazon doesn't know that I don't have cable or satellite, and if they did, I suppose offering me satellite wouldn't be unreasonable, after all, I might be persuaded to sign up for satellite. Not going to happen, but they don't know that. I got an ad for toilet paper today. Now, there's a product I use. I'm probably not ordering it from Amazon. There's an ad on my Kindle now for a household cleanser. I do clean now and then, but I've never ordered cleaning or bathroom supplies from Amazon, and I'm not likely to do so now. It just seems that with all the information Amazon has, ads could be targeted to things I might actually buy.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard

Interesting... sounds like the SO are starting to be more varied again. Maybe I'll take a peek at what's out there now.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I never said I was offended by Fifty Shades of Grey. I just think it is rather ridiculous to advertise this to me when Amazon knows what I buy. Ads targeted at the interests of individuals would be considerably more effective than simply throwing the same ads at everyone. Perhaps the special offers are worth it just for the entertainment value.
I don't think Amazon is targeting these ads at all. I think they're just selling billboard space to whomever wants to use it (including themselves). The reason I think that is because when I look at Kindles for sale on eBay, they almost always have the same ads that I saw on my Kindles. (Which is a handy way of knowing if the pictures taken by the sellers are recent or not.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
running shoes, tv, dish soap, vitamin pills, headphones and earbuds, medical alert system... Ads have just gone crazy the last couple of weeks!
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think Amazon is targeting these ads at all. I think they're just selling billboard space to whomever wants to use it (including themselves). The reason I think that is because when I look at Kindles for sale on eBay, they almost always have the same ads that I saw on my Kindles. (Which is a handy way of knowing if the pictures taken by the sellers are recent or not.)
All ads come from amazons ab server, no personalization.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
There is a setting for more personalized offers, isn't there? And one that will keep the more adult offerings off the screen? I seem to remember seeing that on the HDX.

I don't mind the offerings on the HDX, but I'm probably going to pay to remove them from the Paperwhite. I find those more annoying especially since they seem to be, as rcentros mentioned above, just selling billboard space rather than actually having any "special" offers.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote